Mystery Man

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Some guys were hangin' and talkin' the other day and one old timer said there was a guy here (Central Florida) 10 years or so ago who shot better than anybody in the state. He lived in Tampa and was married to a Neurosurgeon. He came from New York originally but lived in Montana just before he came down here. He thought his name was Jim. No one has seen him in about 10 years. Anybody know who it might be?

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Some guys were hangin' and talkin' the other day and one old timer said there was a guy here (Central Florida) 10 years or so ago who shot better than anybody in the state. He lived in Tampa and was married to a Neurosurgeon. He came from New York originally but lived in Montana just before he came down here. He thought his name was Jim. No one has seen him in about 10 years. Anybody know who it might be?

They are for sure talking about Jon Dovinsky aka The Road Runner. He played great, flashy and really entertaining when he played. He was married to a doctor. During the Florida Tour events over a weekend he would easily drink 50 heinekens. I never saw the guy without a heineken in his hand..NEVER.. Last I heard he got divorced and was doing tile work or something. Without his wifes finances(she made REAL GOOD money) he wasn't able to afford the 50 heinekens and without the heinekens he wasn't the same player

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
They are for sure talking about Jon Dovinsky aka The Road Runner. He played great, flashy and really entertaining when he played. He was married to a doctor. During the Florida Tour events over a weekend he would easily drink 50 heinekens. I never saw the guy without a heineken in his hand..NEVER.. Last I heard he got divorced and was doing tile work or something. Without his wifes finances(she made REAL GOOD money) he wasn't able to afford the 50 heinekens and without the heinekens he wasn't the same player

About 13-14 years ago or so, I was staying with a friend of mine for about a month in Palm Harbor, Fla....at that time, Dovinsky was hanging around the poolroom (I forget the name of it) in New Port Richey, a town a little ways north of me...I didn't pay too much attention to him because I was told that he didn't play One Pocket...but the little bit that I did watch of him playing 9 ball impressed me - he shot super-straight.

- Ghost

PS, I got to know Dan Whitten the excellent case maker at that time, who was also living in Palm Harbor...very nice guy..and we made a good trade one day - one of his nice 2x4 black leather cases for One Pocket lessons.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
About 13-14 years ago or so, I was staying with a friend of mine for about a month in Palm Harbor, Fla....at that time, Dovinsky was hanging around the poolroom (I forget the name of it) in New Port Richey, a town a little ways north of me...I didn't pay too much attention to him because I was told that he didn't play One Pocket...but the little bit that I did watch of him playing 9 ball impressed me - he shot super-straight.

- Ghost

PS, I got to know Dan Whitten the excellent case maker at that time, who was also living in Palm Harbor...very nice guy..and we made a good trade one day - one of his nice 2x4 black leather cases for One Pocket lessons.

I was really playing good pool in 2000- 2002 then I quit for 3 years. Right before I quit I was playing John in the finals of a Florida Tour event. Race to 13. It was 11-11 and I played him safe on the 4 ball.. I was thinking I had him by the balls. He jumped the 8 ball with his full length playing cue made the 4 ball and drew all the way back up table and got out and broke and ran on the hill.. Great shot that made me sick:lol:lol

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Thanks, Fellas. Jon Dovinsky sounds like he's it. I'll check with my sources when I see them next and let you know but it really sounds like him.

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Around the 80s I used to watch him play on the Florida Tour. Hall, Sigel, Cook, Mizerak, Tommy Brown, Kennedy, etc, were regulars every weekend. Jon was a fast stroking player who held his own with them all! Seems like they called him "The Polish Prince" back then.