2020 Members Only Tournament location poll

Where would you like to go for the 2020 Member's Only Tournament?

• Michael's Billiards (Cincinnati area)

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Chris's Billiards (Chicago)

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • California Billiards (Fremont CA -- greater Bay area)

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Amazin Billiards (Boston area)

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Traveling? "Brother" Bill.....lol. I prefer not to fly if that what your referring too...I just got back from 3 days at DCC...lol. Heck I've even seen you 4 times the last three yrs...lol I dont why your on me here... I didnt vote for Chris's and havent voted a winner the last two yrs before that. It's not like my opinions mean anything at all around here...lol
The rules are vote a room your likely to attend...
I voted for Michael's as my only vote.... I've never been there. I did chat with him in person this weekend and hes open to a regional as our MOT wont be there.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Traveling? "Brother" Bill.....lol. I prefer not to fly if that what your referring too...I just got back from 3 days at DCC...lol. Heck I've even seen you 4 times the last three yrs...lol I dont why your on me here... I didnt vote for Chris's and havent voted a winner the last two yrs before that. It's not like my opinions mean anything at all around here...lol
The rules are vote a room your likely to attend...
I voted for Michael's as my only vote.... I've never been there. I did chat with him in person this weekend and hes open to a regional as our MOT wont be there.
I know you will drive and if I lived in Louisville still, I certainly would be driving too and never flying.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Well Steve, as far as cost to California, you can get a red eye to SFO from the NY area for $99. Because of the lead time to the MOT, buying tickets now saves a lot of money plus flying in the middle of the week is less expensive. I have changed my vote from ca to Boston. I encourage others to do the same. My reason against Chris’s. There is NO food. Hotels are not close. The airport is not close. The Ghost is there. Decrepit poolroom. Reasons to attend. Harass Ghost. Meet up with the Chicago anarchist. Chicago Mike. Electric man. Our secret policeman. There is plenty of gamble with the locals even though I cannot beat any of them. Authentic old pool room. See Angel. Visit Mothers grave. Museums. For you that have voted for Ca Billiards, Micheals, please change your vote, LETS SEE BOSTON.

Attachments

• D0FD420B-7178-4EDC-BB4A-3388B3A0877D.jpeg
    D0FD420B-7178-4EDC-BB4A-3388B3A0877D.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 6

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Also, I feel it's important/helpful, to be relatively close to a major airport to keep player travel costs down.
Given enough lead time and ones ability to catch a red eye, most plane fares can be fairly reasonable and if the room is located close to an airport like Bogies, an airporter can be caught to a hotel. The Hilton across from Ca Billiards has a shuttle from SJC.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
LOL

I praised Ghost for a thorough explanation of why he thought you were wrong in the way you criticized the Chicago crew, and that's a moronic attack on you?

Paging Doctor Freud.
LS John, you praised Ghost because you have a hardon for me. You will use any occasion to attack me or what I say. If you noticed, that moronic attack got moved to the members section because it was a directed and personal attack for no reason which you supported fool heatedly. Take your pills and drink.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Also, I feel it's important/helpful, to be relatively close to a major airport to keep player travel costs down.

For any members who don't already know the Chicago area...let me clear up some travel misinformation that has toxically been posted:

Chris's Billiard's is just two blocks from the freeway exit/entrance....and Chicago's major airport - O'Hare, is just four exits down from the Chris's exit ramp....here is the graphic,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...png courtesy of Google maps:.................................................................................................... 11 min (8.1 mi) via I-90 E

Last edited:

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I believe that if the room has sufficient tables, we should look forward to playing at new rooms. Steve is correct, one of the main reasons for the MOT is that we can travel and see other rooms and new members. I haven't been to Chris' in Chicago yet. But from what I gather we will go back eventually. In the meantime, let's explore rooms like Amazin, Michael's, etc.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I believe that if the room has sufficient tables, we should look forward to playing at new rooms. Steve is correct, one of the main reasons for the MOT is that we can travel and see other rooms and new members. I haven't been to Chris' in Chicago yet. But from what I gather we will go back eventually. In the meantime, let's explore rooms like Amazin, Michael's, etc.

The big QUESTION, wait for it, wait for it. Is 12 tables enough? It’s really thought playing at a pool hall for 18 hrs on Sunday. I haven’t seen one of our tournaments finish before 2-4 am. It’s probably impossible to get better than California Billiards. Lots of tables for action during the tournament. A mix of GCs and Diamonds. Lots of airports and hotels close by. I like Michael’s but I doubt I would have played at a MOT there and I’m sure many other players have the same opinion. Mazin room would have the same issues.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The big QUESTION, wait for it, wait for it. Is 12 tables enough? It’s really thought playing at a pool hall for 18 hrs on Sunday. I haven’t seen one of our tournaments finish before 2-4 am. It’s probably impossible to get better than California Billiards. Lots of tables for action during the tournament. A mix of GCs and Diamonds. Lots of airports and hotels close by. I like Michael’s but I doubt I would have played at a MOT there and I’m sure many other players have the same opinion. Mazin room would have the same issues.
Our last tournament finished easily on Sunday at a reasonable hour. It is not hard to do, even with 12 tables. All we have to do is set goals for Friday night and Saturday night and stick to them. Philly was the first room we did that. Whether there are 16 or 12 tables the tournament progress goals on Friday and Saturday are exactly the same -- all players play two complete matches Friday, win or lose; Saturday we play down to 4-6 remaining players (I forget which at the moment). To do that with 12 tables, it ONLY EFFECTS Friday's matches -- we have to start earlier Friday afternoon because we have up to 16 matches on 12 tables, but those other four tables are simply the first four that open up, which does not take that long. By Saturday's matches we are already down to 12 tables. If we have any late nights at all, it would be Saturday, if a player or players had a series of long matches, they still have to finish to our Saturday night goal.

As far as tables to match up on in a room with 12 tables, there are less of course, but only Friday and then Saturday's first round using all 12. By early afternoon Satruday tables would be open. Sunday we are down to only a couple of tables all day. Also, I would say after 8 PM tables will be available even Friday night as matches finish. So basically the 12 table issue for action is ONLY from noon to about 8 PM Friday, and opening round Saturday. That's it. All of us have been to plenty of pool tournaments with no more than 12 tables and have seen how tables open up for action -- it works!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Our last tournament finished easily on Sunday at a reasonable hour. It is not hard to do, even with 12 tables. All we have to do is set goals for Friday night and Saturday night and stick to them. Philly was the first room we did that. Whether there are 16 or 12 tables the tournament progress goals on Friday and Saturday are exactly the same -- all players play two complete matches Friday, win or lose; Saturday we play down to 4-6 remaining players (I forget which at the moment). To do that with 12 tables, it ONLY EFFECTS Friday's matches -- we have to start earlier Friday afternoon because we have up to 16 matches on 12 tables, but those other four tables are simply the first four that open up, which does not take that long. By Saturday's matches we are already down to 12 tables. If we have any late nights at all, it would be Saturday, if a player or players had a series of long matches, they still have to finish to our Saturday night goal.

As far as tables to match up on in a room with 12 tables, there are less of course, but only Friday and then Saturday's first round using all 12. By early afternoon Satruday tables would be open. Sunday we are down to only a couple of tables all day. Also, I would say after 8 PM tables will be available even Friday night as matches finish. So basically the 12 table issue for action is ONLY from noon to about 8 PM Friday, and opening round Saturday. That's it. All of us have been to plenty of pool tournaments with no more than 12 tables and have seen how tables open up for action -- it works!
32 player field max? to make it smooth? or?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Yes that’s is what we have been doing 32 max
When your traveling and old and get there the first day, it's important to get that day done, get some sleep and like you have said, tables will open up on Sat. giving plenty of time to match up etc. As long as the 12 table room is not a Small/cramped room and has Food, game on! Like others have said, going to different rooms is fun and the culture/food etc is also a perk.

FreeMoney

Verified Member
2021 You should consider Q-Masters Billiards Va Beach Va !!!
The largest pool hall in the country with 72 tables !! Our tournament room is the perfect venue; 14 9' Diamond tables. New clothe at least once a year.
Great food & drinks with full kitchen. :cool:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The largest pool hall in the country with 72 tables !! Our tournament room is the perfect venue; 14 9' Diamond tables. New clothe at least once a year.
Sounds great!!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for posting, we are always looking for interested room owners to host! Your room sounds great, hope to visit some day!