3 day rule discussion/moving on!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Sounds like you're in favor of an addendum along the lines of

Recommendations for courtesies that have been established by tradition (followed by, yada, yada, yada.)

Right?
Yes john
i would be in favor but not adamant it has to be done

baby huey

Verified Member
Rules and etiquette are two different animals. How about fidgeting in your chair while your opponent is at the table? Rule or pool etiquette? Let's focus on rules which are easier to identify and implement.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Also, you must shake hands before lag or after the flip. Fistbumps result in a foul and loss of break.
I hate trying to shake someone's fist.

I don't like the etiquette rules. Just saying which balls are to be spotted when is enough IMO.
Adding diction in it for an official rule is just going to cause petty arguments.

What if at the beginning of what looks like is going to be a long run the guy at the table pockets a ball in his pocket and a ball in his opponent's?
Is the opponent forbidden from pulling his ball from the ball return to prevent it from being slept?
Is it an official foul for him to get that ball now?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Dennis, I went to Sacramento a few weeks ago and to Portland last week. I don’t have a contact number for you. Another Sacramento one pocket tournament is coming up: you in? 8315887864

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Dennis, Bob and I have been having a lot of discussion about "close proximity" shots. One thought is to include something like this in the alternate/common practices/house rules font that we use here and there below the numbered rules. This comment -- or something like it -- could be placed below the 6.1 Cue ball fouls only section.

Close proximity shots often come up in One Pocket with no referee available. When shooting towards an object ball(s) in close proximity to the cue ball, it is a double hit foul if the cue ball goes immediately forward past the contact point or forward through the tangent line, without sufficient cue ball reaction time for english to take effect. With advanced skill, it is possible to play these shots without committing a foul. Alternatively, players may agree that shooting away at a sufficiently thin angle reasonably avoids a double hit. A ball declared frozen to the cue ball may be legally stroked through.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Dennis, Bob and I have been having a lot of discussion about "close proximity" shots. One thought is to include something like this in the alternate/common practices/house rules font that we use here and there below the numbered rules. This comment -- or something like it -- could be placed below the 6.1 Cue ball fouls only section.

Close proximity shots often come up in One Pocket with no referee available. When shooting towards an object ball(s) in close proximity to the cue ball, it is a double hit foul if the cue ball goes immediately forward past the contact point or forward through the tangent line, without sufficient cue ball reaction time for english to take effect. With advanced skill, it is possible to play these shots without committing a foul. Alternatively, players may agree that shooting away at a sufficiently thin angle reasonably avoids a double hit. A ball declared frozen to the cue ball may be legally stroked through.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Exception, a ''shovel shot'' where the shooting player pushes through the shot moving multiple balls while continuing their ''follow thru''

This is easy to show/explain at the players meeting.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
best rule to avoid any arguments is that as long as the cue is at 45 degrees the shot is good. works for both parties.
its too hard otherwise to agree whether it was a double hit or not especially if someone is going to lose the game over it.

try telling someone that their cue ball moved a half inch forward so its a foul, but if he was especially skilled it may not have been.
That’s why I put that in there

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Exception, a ''shovel shot'' where the shooting player pushes through the shot moving multiple balls while continuing their ''follow thru''

Yes something like that would definitely be a double hit or push or both, if secondary balls are in close proximity.

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
best rule to avoid any arguments is that as long as the cue is at 45 degrees the shot is good. works for both parties.
its too hard otherwise to agree whether it was a double hit or not especially if someone is going to lose the game over it.

try telling someone that their cue ball moved a half inch forward so its a foul, but if he was especially skilled it may not have been.
the neutral ball thing is all good till you get to derby and it takes 10 min for the ball to come out of the table so it is customary to spot a collected ball and move the one that comes out of the table. Other wise I am ok with the rules though agree with Steve that this is not rules specific to one pocket but just politeness at the table

Derby City’s tables are slower and like you said (well, less than 10 minutes... hehe), but for the most part, I agree with spotting the ball that dropped in another pocket.

walrus1

Rules and etiquette are two different animals. How about fidgeting in your chair while your opponent is at the table? Rule or pool etiquette? Let's focus on rules which are easier to identify and implement.
I agree about tangible. I had to play a guy the night, he was all over the place, I just asked him to please sit down. For some people, it is foreign, this etiquette thing.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

I think the "jack up 45 degrees" rule is the worst rule ever promulgated anywhere, and strictly for expedience and to avoid disagreements. It is a license to cheat without regard to whether a good hit was made. If all that mattered was that "it works for both parties" we could get by without lots of rules. The 45 degree rule even allows you to "fram" through a stack of balls uninhibited. :rolleyes:

A better rule is to have to shoot away from a ball in close proximity at an angle that does not allow the follow through to touch the OB. That also works for both parties and doesn't allow double hit fouls to be legitimized. This craziness spills over into non DCC play cause the world is filled with dummies that see this stuff and think it applies all over and everywhere.

atmeddy

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Most players understand and play by the general rules of One Pocket as published by the Derby. However, there is a written rule in pool, the cue ball cannot be hit with any ball moving on the table, and this rule is broken. How? When a player is treed and hits the object ball as he comes down to hit the cue ball, this is not considered a foul, i.e. the slight hit on the treed object ball is moving prior to hitting the cue ball.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Just because it is legal to shoot through an object ball that is frozen to the cue ball, does not clear the way for an illegal double hit or push caused by secondary object balls that are in "close proximity". I think that is what you are referring to as a "shovel shot", correct? That would be considered a foul because the push/double hit that is caused by the secondary "close proximity" balls.