Stardust results

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Chaps,

I have finally come round to collating the info on the 1st-4th place finishers of the Stardust Open. Thanks Bob Jewett and jd67 for providing input on some years.

1965 1-pocket: 1. Harold Worst 2. Jersey Red 3. Eddie Taylor 4. Harry Petros
9-ball: 1. Ed Kelly 2. Joe Balsis 3. Al Miller 4. Eddie Taylor
14.1: 1. Irving Crane 2-3. Luther Lassiter, Harold Worst 4-5. Jimmy Moore, Joe Balsis
All-Around: 1. Harold Worst 2. Irving Crane 3. Ed Kelly

1966 1-pocket: 1. Boston Shorty 2. Danny Jones 3. Ed Kelly 4. Jack Perkins
9-ball: 1. Ronnie Allen 2. Eddie Taylor 3. Howard Barrett 4. Eddie Taylor (Baltimore, MD)
14.1: 1. Cisero Murphy 2-3. Jersey Red, Irving Crane 4-6. Joe Russo, Joe Balsis, Danny Diliberto
All-Around: 1. Ronnie Allen 2. Cisero Murphy 3. Boston Shorty

1967 1-pocket: 1. Eddie Taylor 2. Tom Holliday 3. Johnny Ervolino 4. Cisero Murphy
9-ball: 1. Danny Jones 2. Billy Burge 3. Cisero Murphy 4. Marvin Henderson
14.1: 1. Mike Eufemia 2. Joe Balsis 3. Ed Kelly 4. Danny Jones
All-Around: 1. Eddie Taylor 2. Danny Jones 3. Mike Eufemia

1968 1-pocket: 1. Marvin Henderson 2. Don Watson 3. Ed Kelly 4. Ronnie Allen
9-ball: 1. Irving Crane 2. Ted Elias 3. Billy Burge 4. U.J. Puckett
14.1: 1. Joe Balsis 2. Irving Crane 3. Richie Florence 4. Nicky Vacchiano
All-Around: 1. Joe Balsis 2. Irving Crane 3. Marvin Henderson

1969 1-pocket: 1. Danny Gartner 2. Nicky Vacchiano 3. Ed Kelly 4. Jimmy Moore
9-ball: 1. Joe Balsis 2. Boston Shorty 3. Bernie Schwartz 4. Don Watson
14.1: 1. Steve Mizerak 2. Joe Balsis 3. Nicky Vacchiano 4. Jimmy Moore
All-Around: 1. Joe Balsis 2. Steve Mizerak 3. Danny Gartner

1970 1-pocket: 1. Steve Cook 2. Boston Shorty 3. Bill Thompson 4. Bill Inardona
9-ball: 1. Bernie Schwartz 2. Ed Kelly 3. Johnny Ervolino 4. Richie Florence
14.1: 1. Joe Russo 2. Nicky Vacchiano 3. Jim Mataya 4. Al Coslosky
All-Around: 1. Steve Cook 2. Joe Russo 3. Bernie Schwartz

1971 1-pocket: 1. Johnny Ervolino 2. Boston Shorty 3. Luther Lassiter 4. Cole Dickson
9-ball: 1. Luther Lassiter 2. Jimmy Reid 3. Jim Mataya 4. Joey Spaeth
14.1: 1. Joe Balsis 2. Johnny Ervolino 3. Luther Lassiter 4. Cisero Murphy
All-Around: 1. Luther Lassiter 2. Joe Balsis 3. Johnny Ervolino

1972 1-pocket: 1. Bill Staton 2. Ed Burton 3. Keith Thompson 4. Norman Hitchcock
9-ball: 1. Jim Mataya 2. Ronnie Allen 3. Jim Marino 4. Luther Lassiter
14.1: 1. Pete Margo 2. Joe Balsis 3. Lou Butera 4. Wayne Norcross
All-Around: 1. Jim Mataya 2. Bill Staton 3. Pete Margo

1973 1-pocket: 1. Johnny Ervolino 2. Norman Hitchcock 3. Boston Shorty 4. Lovis Goff
9-ball: 1. Norman Hitchcock 2. Steve Cook 3. Jim Mataya 4. Jim Rempe
8-ball: 1. Boston Shorty 2. Richie Ambrose 3. Lou Butera 4. Pete Fusco
All-Around: 1. Boston Shorty 2. Norman Hitchcock 3. Johnny Ervolino

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks for taking the time compiling that
steve should make sticky or something so it can easily be referenced

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
The in question ? for the all-around we know has to one or the other player who placed 1st in the other two divisions. Anyone who knows this then we can figure out 2nd and 3rd place for the all-around, that would fill in some gaps.
For instance; 1969 All-around; 1st. Joe Balsis, 2nd. then has to be either Danny Gartner or Steve Mizerak. Whitey

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
The in question ? for the all-around we know has to one or the other player who placed 1st in the other two divisions. Anyone who knows this then we can figure out 2nd and 3rd place for the all-around, that would fill in some gaps.
For instance; 1969 All-around; 1st. Joe Balsis, 2nd. then has to be either Danny Gartner or Steve Mizerak. Whitey
That’s right Whitey. Precisely why the all-around only has 3 places reserved.

I‘m hoping Bob Jewett will be able to dig out the March/April issues for those years and post them up

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I had no idea that Sax DalPonto played this well. Impressive showing that year.
That would be DalPorto. Orthography strikes every 7 seconds in the US. Sax was especially talented at sharking techniques including standing by the foot cushion with the rack in his hand while you were shooting the nine ball and jingling his change at random times. Maybe it was subconscious.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That would be DalPorto. Orthography strikes every 7 seconds in the US. Sax was especially talented at sharking techniques including standing by the foot cushion with the rack in his hand while you were shooting the nine ball and jingling his change at random times. Maybe it was subconscious.
One of my long time pool buds had that tendency to pick up the rack and approach the table before I shot in the game ball. Yes it bothered me sometimes lol. But then I figured out how to deal with it, and it ceased to be a problem. If he approached the table with the rack then I didn't say anything, but I treated it like a concession, and started reaching in the pockets to roll the balls down for him :) -- but I made sure not to disturb either the cue ball or the 9 (or the game ball in One Pocket, etc.). That puts a quick stop to that problem :LOL:

On topic -- his wife (Evelyn?) was the first women to enter with the men at Johnston City. I think this photo is her:

View attachment 431186Player ID -1017.jpg

beatle

Verified Member
sax was a very good player when he was younger. but he didnt seem to play anyone when older just hung around at the tournaments. everyone liked him though seemed like a good guy. always had his wife around near him.
i didnt know he was a sharker at the table. so that brings him up a peg in my book.

beatle

Verified Member
a lot of the tournament entries didnt put their real name on the board or if did spelled it differently. it wasnt always a mistake.
some wanted to have a little anonymity and some wanted to be under the radar for the govt.
examples ceasar morales for efrin. billy johnson for wade crane., some just had one or two letters spelled wrong.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Sax DalPorto is a great sounding name; almost as if it were a name in a Raymond Chandler novel. Wonder how he got the name "Sax"? Probably short for a longer Latin name.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Sax had a son who I think was a Teamsters and drove for the Studios. This is a story I heard from one of the drivers. A loud mouth was challenging guys to any sport. And the son says OK but I get to pick the sport. You can guess what he picked. And I heard it was a "no contest". Then I heard the son challenged the guy again. The guy had used the term any "game". So he challenged him to YOYO's . Like doing tricks. And again it was a "no contest". Like I said it was second hand and I have heard it many times. And its Hollywood.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
sax was a very good player when he was younger. but he didnt seem to play anyone when older just hung around at the tournaments. everyone liked him though seemed like a good guy. always had his wife around near him.
i didnt know he was a sharker at the table. so that brings him up a peg in my book.

Makes me wonder whether Evelyn Del Porto who came in 4th in the 1972 Johnston City Spring event was his wife ? Was she into pool ?

beatle

Verified Member
yea i remember she played pretty sporty as well. but they mostly just socialized at the tournaments.