gulfportdoc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I hope you're getting your cut of this...

Are you in this pic somewhere?

pj
chgo

View attachment 431177
No, PJ. This was a newly formed band about a year after Frank broke up the original Mothers of Invention. The lineup in the picture, L to R are:
George Duke, Mark Volman, Aynsley Dunbar, FZ, Ian Underwood, Jeff Simmons, and Howard Kaylan. Mark and Howard were of the original "The Turtles".

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
No, PJ. This was a newly formed band about a year after Frank broke up the original Mothers of Invention. The lineup in the picture, L to R are:
George Duke, Mark Volman, Aynsley Dunbar, FZ, Ian Underwood, Jeff Simmons, and Howard Kaylan. Mark and Howard were of the original "The Turtles".
OK - I guess you were with Captain Beefheart by then? Amazing how many years have passed and you still look like yourself! :)

pj
chgo

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
OK - I guess you were with Captain Beefheart by then? Amazing how many years have passed and you still look like yourself! :)
pj
chgo
Heh, heh. Now if I only FELT like myself...🥴 Actually I was doing a good bit of studio work in 1970 before I left L.A. with CB. It was a bad career move. But I guess something can be said for being a broke artist..:rolleyes: I'm not sure what, but something.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Was the second to the left Flo ? I wasn't sure for the longest time if it was a guy or girl, strange person whichever flavor

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Was the second to the left Flo ? I wasn't sure for the longest time if it was a guy or girl, strange person whichever flavor
Yes, Mark Volman was "Flo", short for "The Phlorescent Leech", a ripoff of Beefheart's "The Mascara Snake". No, Mark was all man. "Eddie" of "Flo and Eddie" was Howard Kaylan. They were previously known as The Turtles. When Zappa had them in is band, they couldn't be known as The Turtles or even by their real names due to contractual restrictions.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
You're still my hero Doc even if you didn't know my friends. When are you coming up? We leave for Yosemite July 4th. 10 days

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You're still my hero Doc even if you didn't know my friends. When are you coming up? We leave for Yosemite July 4th. 10 days
Well thanks, Bill. And you sure live in a beautiful part of the country. I haven't been to Wash. since my early days in chiropractic, when I went to mentor under the great Tacoma chiropractor, Dr. Vern Weber, for a few weeks in 1983.

My fantasy would be to live somewhere in the North during the brutal summers here in Mississippi. I have relations in Columbus. Also considering Dakotas or Montana. Something tells me it'll never happen though....:confused:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Well thanks, Bill. And you sure live in a beautiful part of the country. I haven't been to Wash. since my early days in chiropractic, when I went to mentor under the great Tacoma chiropractor, Dr. Vern Weber, for a few weeks in 1983.

My fantasy would be to live somewhere in the North during the brutal summers here in Mississippi. I have relations in Columbus. Also considering Dakotas or Montana. Something tells me it'll never happen though....:confused:
That’s what I want to do too but live here during summer and the south during winters. Come up and look for properties.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That’s what I want to do too but live here during summer and the south during winters. Come up and look for properties.
I was going to suggest New Orleans for your winters, but on second thought, all those snarly-toothed hustlers over there would keep you broke..:unsure: Houston area might work. Tall Jeff could watch out for you. OTOH you'd have to stay away from those BBQ restaurants......

beatle

Verified Member
pacific northwest best weather in the summer. florida best weather in the winter. for most anyway.
very familair with both and real estate, can give recommendations according to your desires for activities. no charge for services.

if looking for a city any place forgetaboutit.
and those living in cal. and the northeast, dont bother as you have no idea what living free is. but seem to be fleeing to those two spots.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I was going to suggest New Orleans for your winters, but on second thought, all those snarly-toothed hustlers over there would keep you broke..:unsure: Houston area might work. Tall Jeff could watch out for you. OTOH you'd have to stay away from those BBQ restaurants......
I lived in New Orleans for a short while. I lived and worked in the French Quarter. Your right about those hustlers, ha ha, they broke me quick, twice! I like New Orleans except for those brown, crawly, flying things that permeate everything. What did they call them in the movies?, cockaroaches. I'm thinking Arizona, a little south of Flagstaff. Or Santa Cruz 100% of the time. My pot stocks will have to triple for that to happen.! Living near Jerry (baby huey) would work too.