Top U.S. players 2020: Comments welcome

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
i'd include alex olinger and robert frost on the honorable mention list....

Bro, only if you want to increase the honorable mention list to 25, so it includes all of the guys who play even with, if not better than Olinger & R. Frost...a few that come to mind are: Richie Richeson, Shane Winters, Chris Gentile, Shannon Murphy, Jonathan Pinegar, Amar Kang, Tyler Styer, Chris Robinson, Mitch Ellerman, Anthony Meglino, Michael Perron Jr < under the radar, etc. etc.

Sounds like a Canadian name to me

LOL.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
A case could be made for SVB if he only concentrated a little more on One Pocket. I have seen his game and it is strong for an essentially non player.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
JHall will play Skyler some 11 ball banks for 10,000. I'll stake it. Pass the word, if you would.
He said yes but he's not sure when. Hes got that new kid. I'm sure you all can work something out when the time comes. With any luck all this stuff will be over by Derby.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just curious as I dont really play banks but why do people play 11 ball banks?

Is it just because 9 is too less and 15 is too many?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
if your gonna talk about people who could be great one pocket players if they had the patience for it rodney morris with his three cushion ability and style has all the mechanics and none of the desire to be a great one pocket player

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Just curious as I dont really play banks but why do people play 11 ball banks?

Is it just because 9 is too less and 15 is too many?
I think that's right, Larry. To me it's a good compromise, and they should use it at DCC. 9-ball banks is too short for good players, and 15-ball rack can sometimes take longer than one-pocket. I'm not an experienced bank pool player, but I tried the 11-ball rack at the house, and it seemed like a good game. The 11th ball freezes nicely to the back center of a 10-ball rack.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
A case could be made for SVB if he only concentrated a little more on One Pocket. I have seen his game and it is strong for an essentially non player.

I first played SVB 1P about 10 years ago. He played it like a rotation player. Since then he has played it a lot more but it’s still not a normal game for him.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
when I played shane in sacramento I beat him to the shot every game but did not get out, but since I did not get out I felt he did not have the pressure on him to play as well

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
2. Tony Chohan-Won 2016 Buffalo's Pro Classic, Action warrior and no American is playing him. Beat Chip Compton in a race to 24 this year.
5. Shane Van Boening Three time Derby City Champion, plays very little one pocket other than Derby and US Open.
3. Corey Deuel-Derby City Champion, great tournament player. Always underrated.
10 Evan Lunda-Most improved American in last three years. All the talent is there, but can he focus like a champion?
7. Chip Compton-Another improving player. Plays Roberto Gomez August 7, 2020.
9Justin Hall-2018 Buffalo's Pro Classic Champion, 2nd in Derby City 2020, 2nd in Scotty Townsend 2020. Great all around player, but erratic.
8. Billy Thorpe-Two time Derby winner, Scotty Townsend winner. Has great game for tournaments. Can he beat the killers in a long race?
1.Scott Frost- Hall of Famer, Former Derby City Champion. Can still play, but is the hunger still there?
6. Danny Smith-Great player, when he is playing. Seems to have lost the passion for one pocket.
4. Justin Bergman-Underrated straight shooter.

Honorable Mention: Roberts, Gray, Brown, Owen, Daulton, Bowman
My choices from Thread #1 if they were all ''uptoSpeed"....copy/paste....also, format has Everything to do with who would win.
But betting someone Else's money, :) here's my choices if it was a race to 5 single elim. alternate break.
15/20??? minute breaks after every 2 games.
30 minute break??? if score is 2-2.
Players need to EAT and unwind for the final rack @ 2-2
Each match give/take will last up to 5 hours, similar to the time it takes to play 18 holes of golf.
If your out the first round NO hotel is needed and on and on.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
My choices from Thread #1 if they were all ''uptoSpeed"....copy/paste....also, format has Everything to do with who would win.
But betting someone Else's money, :) here's my choices if it was a race to 5 single elim. alternate break.
15/20??? minute breaks after every 2 games.
30 minute break??? if score is 2-2.
Players need to EAT and unwind for the final rack @ 2-2
Each match give/take will last up to 5 hours, similar to the time it takes to play 18 holes of golf.
If your out the first round NO hotel is needed and on and on.
wow Bergman at 4th? I know he shoots straight but his one hole game has not "caught my eye" much yet...

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I agree with ghost about skylar and schmidt and my order may be slightly different, maybe evan goes down a notch or two and billy down one or two. Not sure I would have Bergman in the top 10, maybe Daulton...but still great list as always Joe! Wouldn't JJ get an honorable mention too? He still plays pretty well and his knowledge is world class.

JJ can't shoot with these guys anymore. He'll be the first to admit it.