I don't recall the movie mentioning 1p much at all
just kind of wondering out loud how the book mentioning/
movie not mentioning this fine game
affected its popularity..or not

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Well, first of all, once you play this game you never go back to any other. It's like selling insurance - you get your friends and relatives first. You never again have to be a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Presbyterian, Pomerian, vegetarian or Cosmopolitan. You become a one-pocket player forever, period. Dot.com. It spreads like Corona Virus and it's incurable. When I get to be the emperor of Washington I will put 72 pool tables in the White House and the president can go and live at the Red Roof Inn. Congress would die on the vine - never get a quorum again. Can I get an amen to that?

evergruven

Verified Member
thanks for the replies, and preach
here is some evidence from the book to peep

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    936.9 KB · Views: 21

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
isnt the only mention of one pocket cause he can not play well enough to play straights so he figures he can out think the guy in onepocket

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Well, first of all, once you play this game you never go back to any other. It's like selling insurance - you get your friends and relatives first. You never again have to be a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Presbyterian, Pomerian, vegetarian or Cosmopolitan. You become a one-pocket player forever, period. Dot.com. It spreads like Corona Virus and it's incurable. When I get to be the emperor of Washington I will put 72 pool tables in the White House and the president can go and live at the Red Roof Inn. Congress would die on the vine - never get a quorum again. Can I get an amen to that?
So true

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
.....AMEN

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
cheers doc, I thought it was neat
how popular was 1p in '68?
I take that back about '68. When I was living in Cincinnati, I went into a little room down on Vine St one day in about 1963. A guy asked me to play 1P. I asked him how it went. He said "8 in your pocket before I get 8 in mine." Sounded pretty easy to me. I hardly ever got a shot at my hole. Totally confused me what to do in 1P! The only safeties I knew were from 14.1.

There was a fair amount of 1P played in L.A. in 1968. I played it a little at Mr. Pockets on 6th St. Jerry Matchin could tell you a lot more about the gambling scene there. Then in '69 I got to watch a fair amount of 1P by Ronnie Allen, Hollywood Jack, Tony Ola, and some of the top players who came in prior to the World Championships every year at the Elks Club in MacArthur Park. Most would gather at Big Momma's in the Valley, where the owner, "Coke", would black out the windows and keep open all night-- bar included. Lots of great games there.

evergruven

Verified Member
I take that back about '68. When I was living in Cincinnati, I went into a little room down on Vine St one day in about 1963. A guy asked me to play 1P. I asked him how it went. He said "8 in your pocket before I get 8 in mine." Sounded pretty easy to me. I hardly ever got a shot at my hole. Totally confused me what to do in 1P! The only safeties I knew were from 14.1.

There was a fair amount of 1P played in L.A. in 1968. I played it a little at Mr. Pockets on 6th St. Jerry Matchin could tell you a lot more about the gambling scene there. Then in '69 I got to watch a fair amount of 1P by Ronnie Allen, Hollywood Jack, Tony Ola, and some of the top players who came in prior to the World Championships every year at the Elks Club in MacArthur Park. Most would gather at Big Momma's in the Valley, where the owner, "Coke", would black out the windows and keep open all night-- bar included. Lots of great games there.

thanks for shout back, doc..sounds like a hoot!

baby huey

Verified Member
What a place, "Big Mamas." Cokes was the owner and it was truly a den of theives. I have one story which I love to tell. Joe Porper who went on to become one of the first pool players to make all sorts of pool playing supplies, cues and cases, put one of the best moves on me one night at Big Mamas. He came in with a basket full of puppies for sale. He claimed they were pure bred German Shepards. He had the papers to prove it. I bought one for $100 as a gift for my parents. As the weeks went along and the puppy grew, he didn't look like a German Shepard. I went back to Joe and complained and he just laughed. What I found out later was that he went to the Dog Pound, got the puppies and copied a certificate of a pure bred German and then sold them off at the pool room. All I coud do was laugh with him. Lastly, Hawaiian Brian and I were heading out of LA for a roady to San Fran. On our way out of town we decided to stop at BIg Mamas. We never made it out of town. We busted the entire pool room over the next two days. I mean busted everybody. It was so bad we got all the singles, quarters, dimes and nickels Cokes had in his safe. We ended up winning about two grand which was huge for 1969. Finally what is really funny was the next time we went in, we got barred from gambling there for a month. I asked Cokes why we were barred and he said his customers (players) accused him of bringing us in to snap them off. He lost the most money but they said he was spreading which by the way he was most capable of doing.

baby huey

Verified Member
He did Doc but he didn't put up any cash. He took a piece of the daily receipts for showing up and stimulating action and play. After a month he didn't get any more of the daily take.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
He did Doc but he didn't put up any cash. He took a piece of the daily receipts for showing up and stimulating action and play. After a month he didn't get any more of the daily take.
I didn't know that. But RA could sure pack 'em in. Always got things going. He asked me one time, "What do YOU play?" I told him I played marimba..✋

Coke was a pretty shifty guy, and looked halfway sleezy. I heard a couple of years ago that he ended up doing very well in real estate. Don't know if that's true.

baby huey

Verified Member
Cokes and I were pretty much at odds with each other over the years. He was always trying to trap me into games. I played all the games just good enough to understand where I was at most of the time. I believe he did well in real estate in later years.