Search results

1. gulfportdoc

Birthday....Birthday....1 HOLE NUT

Jason, my man! I didn't think that you EVER aged. Could a birthday be true??? Happy Birthday to one of the good guys! ~Doc
  2. gulfportdoc

Tuesday July 28th 7pm central-Justin Bergman vs Danny Harriman-Full Rack Banks Old School Style 😲

You're right about Harriman. And when you think about it straight pool and bank pool are odd bedfellows, since straight pool players almost never go for a bank shot.
  3. gulfportdoc

Donn vs. Pete 1 wwyd?

Combo-ing the 3-11 looks good to me, as long as the shooter believes he can bury the CB behind the 10ball. Looks like a half-ball hit with perhaps a half tip of low. If the CB gets between the 10 and the rail, the opponent is in jail. 2nd choice would be to bank the 10ball cross corner into...
  4. gulfportdoc

5 rack game?

Helluva run, Catkins! You made some great banks "under the gun". If you did that every rack, there's your 60...:cool:
  5. gulfportdoc

Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

From here I like rolling through the 12 ball (aiming at the rail-first on the 4), and trying to get the CB onto the 8 ball. Otherwise I'd cut the 12 softly and roll the CB behind the 3-11 cluster. Now there is another ball by my hole, leaving a real tough position for the opponent. He'd...
  6. gulfportdoc

Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

Actually there was a 4th time, back in '05..;) But yes, once in awhile you stumble onto the best shot..😄 Jokes aside, I think the twist back on the 4 is doable, along with po' on the 6ball, but it has to be cued perfectly. And I may not have set it up as precisely as in the photo. However my...
  7. gulfportdoc

Top U.S. players 2020: Comments welcome

I think that's right, Larry. To me it's a good compromise, and they should use it at DCC. 9-ball banks is too short for good players, and 15-ball rack can sometimes take longer than one-pocket. I'm not an experienced bank pool player, but I tried the 11-ball rack at the house, and it seemed...
  8. gulfportdoc

Blast from the past

Wonder what happened to Justin "The Roadman" Cone? He was a strong second level player around the Southeast. Seems to me someone said he switched to poker, as --I blieve-- Nick Vita did.
  9. gulfportdoc

Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

I agree. This is an excellent layout for the 13 bank with a knock-away of the 1ball, leaving the CB safely on the other side of the stack. This is a standard shot that comes up frequently. I don't see anything else that strong and doable. It puts the opponent in trouble, and if pocketed, the...
  10. gulfportdoc

Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

Billy, I took that shot to the table last night, and it seems to work pretty well with that layout. It's not an ideal example, but it might work.
  11. gulfportdoc

Looks like our FL boys will be getting some weather...

I'm sure that y'all on the east coast are watching Isaias: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/095158.shtml?cone#contents
  12. gulfportdoc

Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

I like that shot if the CB were an inch or two to the left. As it lays, to my eye the CB can't be kicked far enough over for position on the 6.
  13. gulfportdoc

Top U.S. players 2020: Comments welcome

Joe, have they decided on a venue yet?
  14. gulfportdoc

3 fouls, how common?

Like Cincy, I've never witnessed 3rd foul loss of game. I've heard of it occurring as above. The third foul penalty used to come up with some frequency in straight pool, especially by the top players, because being penalized 15 balls was not an insurmountable handicap for them. At my level, I...
  15. gulfportdoc

One Pocket Action Match-Chip Compton vs Roberto Gomez-August 7th-8th-9th

Chip's one-pocket game is much better than I used to give him credit for. If he plays seriously he can play with just about anyone. I won't be watching the contest, so I won't sweat bet. But he could definitely come out ahead in the match.
  16. gulfportdoc

John vs. Barry 9 - wwyd?

That's a decent, standard shot, but the opponent is not really in any trouble here, although he does have to play defense-- which is how you want to keep your opponent. IMO 3CBill's 9-10 ball shot is the best. AND, as I said in post #28, the elephant in the room is whether or not the ticky on...
  17. gulfportdoc

Mary Kenniston inducted in to billiards hall of fame

This is the first I've heard of Mary's recent fantastic accomplishment. What a great honor for a wonderful gal!! Thanks to Jimmy B. for the heads-up. https://www.wlox.com/2020/07/25/long-beach-woman-inducted-into-billiards-hall-fame/ ~Doc
  18. gulfportdoc

John vs. Barry 9 - wwyd?

I think Cardone and Baby Huey both need to clean their glasses...😄 As others have mentioned, the 9ball is too low for the carom shot. And I don't believe the 2ball can be hit for a bank on account of the 4ball being in the way. 3CBill's shot is probably the best shot-- shooting the 9 into the...
  19. gulfportdoc

wwyd #2 Baby Huey - We got options

If the 4ball is far enough off the rail, then it can be banked cross-corner. Either brush the 5 on the way out, or follow up for the 10. If the 4ball pockets you can get them all.
  20. gulfportdoc

John vs. Rich 2 - wwyd?

He hit the shot about as good as good be, without making the 13. But now the return shot is rolling the CB off the right side of the 10 (about half ball) into the long rail behind the 13. John is now in deep doo-doo...:cautious: