Search results

1. RabbiHippie

Oklahoma’s Formidable Glenn “The Eufaula Kid” Womack by Rabbi Hippie on PoolHistory.com

There's a whole chapter of new information about Hayden Lingo that will be in the book. It took a lot of research, but I learned quite a bit about his early years as a player in the 1930s, long before Johnston City.
  2. RabbiHippie

Oklahoma’s Formidable Glenn “The Eufaula Kid” Womack by Rabbi Hippie on PoolHistory.com

In The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies, Minnesota Fats says that Hubert "Daddy Warbucks" Cokes beat him back to New York City with the game of One Pocket. Both men learned the game from its inventor, Jack Hill, in Oklahoma. Cokes in 1916 and Fats in 1928.
  3. RabbiHippie

R. A. "Jake" Dyer has posted an extract from my book about Glenn "The Eufaula Kid" Womack on his website, PoolHistory.com. Please check-out Jake's wonderful site for the rest of the story plus many more stories about One Pocket and Johnston City. It's a real treasure trove.
  4. RabbiHippie

Break-and-Runs in Old Time One Pocket

I think it puts you in good company, @Tom Wirth! Here's a quote from my book about Jack Hill (inventor or co-inventor of One Pocket, if you will) running 36-balls in an exhibition playing "One Pocket to Five." The big difference between Jack Hill's run and yours is that he was breaking and...
  5. RabbiHippie

Think I found the answer to my own question. At least by 1965, Johnston City was using an "alternate break" format. This is from the National Billiard News issue from December, 1965. Harold Worst was All-Around winner in his final appearance before dying with cancer and Larry "Boston Shorty"...
  6. RabbiHippie

Another thought ... Grady Mathews seems to have been the first person to insist on racking your own. I know he took a moment to explain that to Efren when they played for the first time in the 80's. Squirrel probably racked for Eufaula which would rule out any "monkey business" with the rack...
  7. RabbiHippie

Pre-Orders for Hard/Softcover Editions of "The Oklahoma Roots of One Pocket" by Rabbi Hippie

And received, @12squared! Got you down for Signed Copy #10.
  8. RabbiHippie

Glenn "The Eufaula Kid" Womack beat Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter in a gambling session by running out the set with three consecutive break-and-runs. They were playing 8-5 winner breaks with Squirrel getting the handicap. I also recall seeing where Minnesota Fats claimed he also made three...
  9. RabbiHippie

Pre-Orders for Hard/Softcover Editions of "The Oklahoma Roots of One Pocket" by Rabbi Hippie

I can now accept payment by Zelle to therealrabbihippie@gmail.com
  10. RabbiHippie

Zelle is an option. Payments can be sent thru Zelle to therealrabbihippie@gmail.com or Cash App to $RabbiHippie. Check by Mail to this address: Brandon King 600 E. Stephenson Harrison, AR 72601
  11. RabbiHippie

Got an entirely new chapter on Glenn "The Eufaula Kid" Womack for the hardcover edition. Besides being an all-time great One Pocket player, "Eufaula" was also an actor, singer, war hero and moonshine runner! Eufaula's daughter and two nephews are still alive. Reached out to Rick...
  12. RabbiHippie

Received your check last week, @HowardK! Thank you for your support. I've got you down for signed copy Lucky #7! Signed and Numbered First Editions Plan is to limit the signed and numbered 1st Editions to 100 copies for the first printing. Hopefully they will become collector's items. Forum...
  13. RabbiHippie

@beltsander bill Be sure to send me your mailing address and contact info in a PM, if you haven't already done so. I've got you down for signed copy #3.
  14. RabbiHippie

Zelle may be a possibility. PayPal has some problems. May be able to offer more payment options soon on my own website.
  15. RabbiHippie

For everybody new to Cash app, it's pretty straight-forward and doesn't charge any fees on either end unlike PayPal. All the same, I'm working on other payment options like PayPal and of course you can always just mail a check to me at this address: Brandon King 600 E. Stephenson Harrison...
  16. RabbiHippie

Signed and Numbered First Editions Forum Name Number Hardcover / Softcover Shipping Paid @lll #1 BOTH PAID @lfigueroa #2 @beltsander bill #3 Chuck Stinson #4 Hardcover Regular Mail with Tracking PAID @NH Steve #5 Hardcover Regular Mail with Tracking...
  17. RabbiHippie

I'm now taking pre-orders for the hard and softcover editions of The Oklahoma Roots of One Pocket which will be released in time for Buffalo's Pro Classic in New Orleans on May 21st, 2024. There's a new chapter about Glenn "The Eufaula Kid" Womack with lots of information that's never been...
  18. RabbiHippie

The Oklahoma Roots of One Pocket - eBook Available for Purchase on Amazon

Everybody who purchased the Kindle version and wants the hardcover edition as well ... Be sure to save the receipt from your Amazon purchase so I can give you a $7.99 discount on the price of the hardcover. No need to send a copy to me. I'll take your word for it. :cool:
  19. RabbiHippie

@1P Student - You're on the list of people I'll notify when the hardcover is available. Those will be signed and numbered copies for those who want them.
  20. RabbiHippie

Will do, @jay helfert and @rnewkirk !