Baby Huey and The Pilot are facing off this week!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Some have said I played slowly. That is true. I find that when I am not playing much, I have trouble remembering what to do? Maybe it's a sign of my age or something else, perhaps uncertainty in shot selection. I find that not playing on a regular basis affects my game. Perhaps others might have the same problem? What's the fix? Any suggestions?

I also took plenty of time a few times. Sometimes there’s a lot to think about because there’s several options. Just think about our WWYD threads. How many of those threads have 5 or 6 people giving different options. It takes a while to process that info. Sometimes there’s not really much to think about, in those situations I try and shoot quickly.

I can play with a two minute shot clock but then someone has to run the timer😭

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Some have said I played slowly. That is true. I find that when I am not playing much, I have trouble remembering what to do? Maybe it's a sign of my age or something else, perhaps uncertainty in shot selection. I find that not playing on a regular basis affects my game. Perhaps others might have the same problem? What's the fix? Any suggestions?
I did not think you shot slow, nor was your shot selection incorrect. I think Jim did not shoot any faster than you did it.
In OP there are some very tough decisions to be made, that is for sure.
But all you need is to get in more games of OP, somehow. Most of us are in that boat!

What people do not understand that the length of a OP game is not determined by how fast you play, for there are so many more factors involved.

I went to my pool hall yesterday, for I was working on a couple of cues for some guys, and while waiting for one of them to show up, the one guy asked me to play him a game of OP. I broke the balls because he did not know how to break, so my one and only game, practically since 2018 MOT. We got an open pool hall but no one likes to go there, ironic isn't it, for you got a place everyone would want to go to, but it is not open. Take care! Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I honestly wish I was able to play slower, I don't play for the entertainment of the crowd I play because sometimes I see the world better when everything slows down and I am playing a great opponent and I see the right shot after careful consideration I think the world is made better.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

You have to be motivated to play a lot and lucky enough to have competitive games to match up with. I am very lucky at Hard Times because I have 5/6 regular players I can match up with In a fair game. Before Covid came along I was playing 2/3 times a week and getting in 12/15 hours of play, either gambling or the weekly Saturday one pocket tournament. I was bored to death after staying home a couple months and no pool, so I started working a bit from home just to stay a little busy and keep my brain functioning.

I know you have to wait for someone to come by, or go down to L A to get a game, and of course they are going to clock you at your top speed. You still have it, you prove it at DCC year after year, but when you are there, you are away from all the distractions and concentrating on pool for several days. Believe me, the older you get, the harder you have to work at it.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA

You did the best you could do with what you had at the time. Get more practice in; run scenarios and drills; play other players, play first thing in the morning for at least 30 minutes and play before you got to bed for the same. All good rules to play by and very helpful if you're doing at least two of the above. At the end of the day, you need to be in stroke. I agree that you made a lot of correct shot choices but, execution in one pocket is also key.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
not playing on a regular basis affects my game
There are probably few that could say differently.

If my two-cents is worth anything; It is never a bad idea to concentrate on the basics.
Focusing on the basics helps work out wrinkles and builds confidence.
If not approaching the table with confidence in your own abilities, the battle is half-lost.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
You did the best you could do with what you had at the time. Get more practice in; run scenarios and drills; play other players, play first thing in the morning for at least 30 minutes and play before you got to bed for the same. All good rules to play by and very helpful if you're doing at least two of the above. At the end of the day, you need to be in stroke. I agree that you made a lot of correct shot choices but, execution in one pocket is also key.

I watched the replay over the last two days. We both struggled because we haven’t been playing much. My fundamentals were so bad I went to Buffalo’s today for an hour and half to work on them. A note to Jerry, that table played so slow I could never get used to it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I find that not playing on a regular basis affects my game. Perhaps others might have the same problem? What's the fix? Any suggestions?
my 2 cents
is to watch videos and think about what would you shoot based on the layout
it keeps your head in the game

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Another POV free offering. Thanks Daniel

Yes it was.. I saw half of it live, and watched the rest on YouTube.. Thanks.. Good shootin... Baby Huey had a couple of devastating fouls, especially the no rail foul when leading 7-5. Could have easily been 4-3, . I always like tables that rolled like that...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You looked really rusty, but in the first two games there were a lot of very difficult situations that required extra thought. Once a slow pace is set, it may be hard to speed up once you settle in. And the pilot was having trouble maintaining air speed too. :D

I have a friend who raises rabbits and sells Smart Pills. I'm still trying to figure out whether they're working for me. If I don't notice some improvement soon I'm gonna give 'em up because they taste like shit.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
You looked really rusty, but in the first two games there were a lot of very difficult situations that required extra thought. Once a slow pace is set, it may be hard to speed up once you settle in. And the pilot was having trouble maintaining air speed too. :D

I have a friend who raises rabbits and sells Smart Pills. I'm still trying to figure out whether they're working for me. If I don't notice some improvement soon I'm gonna give 'em up because they taste like shit.
I think I get it, hahahaha

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

My windshear warning kept coming on🛩

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
You have to be motivated to play a lot and lucky enough to have competitive games to match up with. I am very lucky at Hard Times because I have 5/6 regular players I can match up with In a fair game. Before Covid came along I was playing 2/3 times a week and getting in 12/15 hours of play, either gambling or the weekly Saturday one pocket tournament. I was bored to death after staying home a couple months and no pool, so I started working a bit from home just to stay a little busy and keep my brain functioning.

I know you have to wait for someone to come by, or go down to L A to get a game, and of course they are going to clock you at your top speed. You still have it, you prove it at DCC year after year, but when you are there, you are away from all the distractions and concentrating on pool for several days. Believe me, the older you get, the harder you have to work at it.
Tue. I played for over 4 hrs small bets, but bet enough to not enjoy missing. Later that day, I felt different/better, since I had not played that long for a Long time. Finally on my third tip, I'm able to better understand ld shafts and what they are able to do, when compared to maple, quite dramatic, and the squirt is in the frig.