Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

vapros

Verified Member
I'm with the majority - bank the 13 ball and billiard the 1 - but I think it's good enough to concentrate on banking the 1 to my side also. Natural billiard, and the 13 might fall. Looks like the correct hit on the 13 will send it to the long rail below the first diamond. Nothing here but good news - see if John will bet more. Larry's bank on the 12 is also a good pick, but second-best here.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I'm gonna save the 13 ball after I get some balls open to make. I'm playing off the 9 or 7 to go under the 6 ball. If the 13 goes I dont see another makeable shot, or if its hit to thin, then it's an easy escape with a missed opportunity to bury your opponent.
If the 13 drops, my next shot is the 14/7 combo, not to make it (i don't think it can go but if so then all the better) - but get it close and protect it.

After pocketing the 13, If my CB ends up lower than the 14, then I will shoot the 14/7 combo, CB runs into 3, where the 15 ball should have them covered. If the CB ends up higher than the 14, then i shoot the 14/7 combo and fall behind the 6 with the CB.

Normally, I really like your suggestion of dropping behind a ball like the 6 when i can to hide most of the table from them but in this scenario, it looks like my opponent would have an opportunity to play off the 13 (if you go off the 9), or if you go off the 13, then they can bank the 1 ball 1 rail long and leave you on the head rail doubled up and no shot. If you could remove the 1 AND the 13, I think going behind the 6 is much stronger. Like banking the 13 off the 1 so they both leave, CB to long rail then behind the 6.

(plus if you go off the 9 or 7, you are opening balls up on their side)

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
Donn's shot --- his pocket is at the bottom right, behind the cueball --- score is 1 - 0, John ahead, both going to 8 --- Donn has several good shot options here --- wwyd? >>>

View attachment 431804View attachment 431805
I'm banking the 13ball cue ball into the 1ball. This shot is tailored made to win the game either in this inning or in the next few innings. If you make the 13ball there's also a window to pocket the 10ball if you happen to fall in it. The 10ball is the catalyst to open the table for the immediate win, why not invest in this option there's seems to be zero downsides.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
I'm banking the 13ball cue ball into the 1ball. This shot is tailored made to win the game either in this inning or in the next few innings. If you make the 13ball there's also a window to pocket the 10ball if you happen to fall in it. The 10ball is the catalyst to open the table for the immediate win, why not invest in this option there's seems to be zero downsides.

Dr. Bill
A few people like dropping under the 6ball, which to me is missing an opportunity to pretty much secure the game. Dropping under the 6ball doesn't necessarily put your opponent in a bad position. He can always "nip and tuck" to work the cue ball under the 6ball between the 6ball and the foot rail, which would then give your opponent the advantage in the battle for position. Plus, playing under the 6ball leaves both the 13ball and the 1ball threats that you will have to defend against going forward. This all can be remedied by banking the 13ball.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Bank the 4 go over for the 6 and run out, after that 10 9 combination twist bank , this is a hanger.
Gulfportdoc: I like that shot if the CB were an inch or two to the left. As it lays, to my eye the CB can't be kicked far enough over for position on the 6.
Billy, I took that shot to the table last night, and it seems to work pretty well with that layout. It's not an ideal example, but it might work.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I'm banking the 13ball cue ball into the 1ball. This shot is tailored made to win the game either in this inning or in the next few innings. If you make the 13ball there's also a window to pocket the 10ball if you happen to fall in it. The 10ball is the catalyst to open the table for the immediate win, why not invest in this option there's seems to be zero downsides. Dr. Bill
I agree. This is an excellent layout for the 13 bank with a knock-away of the 1ball, leaving the CB safely on the other side of the stack.

This is a standard shot that comes up frequently. I don't see anything else that strong and doable. It puts the opponent in trouble, and if pocketed, the shooter can cause all kinds of havoc...:cool:

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Billy, I took that shot to the table last night, and it seems to work pretty well with that layout. It's not an ideal example, but it might work.
Doc,
I was thinking it lies to flat to get the cb movement needed, but apparently you were able to get the movement!

For those new members there are quite a few threads devoted to twist banks, in which this is in there but laid out tougher. I believe there are approx. 13 videos. You will have to go back a few pages in the Bank Forum. Whitey

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
I agree. This is an excellent layout for the 13 bank with a knock-away of the 1ball, leaving the CB safely on the other side of the stack.

This is a standard shot that comes up frequently. I don't see anything else that strong and doable. It puts the opponent in trouble, and if pocketed, the shooter can cause all kinds of havoc...:cool:

~Doc
Art, are you feeling ok? This is the 3rd time in 13 years you agreed with my analysis. Thank you for finally coming to your senses. By the way..twisting back the 4ball??? seriously.

Dr. Bill

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I have been looking at so much fantasy land pool lately, I missed the easy bank on the 13 ball, I know I would not have missed it at the table ,it's just a different perspective than I am used to. I would be banking the 13 all day long.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I'm banking the 13 pocket speed. Might even miss it and leave it close. That wouldn't be a bad result either.

Kybanks

Verified Member
If the 13 drops, my next shot is the 14/7 combo, not to make it (i don't think it can go but if so then all the better) - but get it close and protect it.

After pocketing the 13, If my CB ends up lower than the 14, then I will shoot the 14/7 combo, CB runs into 3, where the 15 ball should have them covered. If the CB ends up higher than the 14, then i shoot the 14/7 combo and fall behind the 6 with the CB.

Normally, I really like your suggestion of dropping behind a ball like the 6 when i can to hide most of the table from them but in this scenario, it looks like my opponent would have an opportunity to play off the 13 (if you go off the 9), or if you go off the 13, then they can bank the 1 ball 1 rail long and leave you on the head rail doubled up and no shot. If you could remove the 1 AND the 13, I think going behind the 6 is much stronger. Like banking the 13 off the 1 so they both leave, CB to long rail then behind the 6.

(plus if you go off the 9 or 7, you are opening balls up on their side)
[/QUOTE

The bank isn't the problem, the problem lies with manufacturing where the cb hits the 1 ball. The shot can definitely be butchered and the result doesn't have to be in favor of the shooter. I love this bank! If I was guaranteed another shot, I would shoot it.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, Donn chose the shot-option that most of youse guys also liked here = banking the 13 straight to his pocket....Donn ginned the bank/split the pocket....but after his cueball caromed off of the 1ball, he was hard luck in that he couldn't see either the 4ball or the 7ball afterwards - and also, he can't quite see enough of the long rail to pocket the 4ball in rail-first, unless he wants to masse' it...so then...

Donn's got about a third of a pocket for the 12ball - it may be barely makeable, or may not be.......or he can play the 12-4 combination <<< with either of these two choices he could give up a cut shot on the 9 or 7 if he misses.......and he could shoot the gofer/mad-at-your-money 8-10 combination........or he can bank the 1ball 2-rails into the 4ball....here's how it turned out >>>

010.JPG

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
What a great place to be! Two-rail the 1 ball - hit it right in the face. Or bank the 5 at the 4 - looks like you could either cross it or stiff it. Or play the 4 ball, rail first. Or hit the 3 into the 15 and leave Jojo frozen on the back side of the 6 ball. Here is the proverbial blind dog in the butcher shop - which way to turn? Ghostie, if you don't have a picture for the blind dog, you should get one.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
What a great place to be! Two-rail the 1 ball - hit it right in the face. Or bank the 5 at the 4 - looks like you could either cross it or stiff it. Or play the 4 ball, rail first. Or hit the 3 into the 15 and leave Jojo frozen on the back side of the 6 ball. Here is the proverbial blind dog in the butcher shop - which way to turn? Ghostie, if you don't have a picture for the blind dog, you should get one.
I'd probably shoot the 2-railer on the 1, aiming at the 4 because it's pretty much idiot-proof.

But to add one more option to the mix, the 4 is a big ball and a light and very controllable masse would have a good chance of making it and shaping the 6.