Donn vs. John 12 wwyd?

Kybanks

Verified Member
Great shot! It turned out as I expected. He didn't get another shot at his hole.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Great shot! It turned out as I expected. He didn't get another shot at his hole. 🤪
Yeah, uhuh - 1" in either direction and he ends up with a simple second shot...000000rolleyes.gif...

But ok there Nostradamus, can you do me a favor then, and tell me when we'll have a reliable vaccine for this Covid?...and also would ya please tell me the winning Illinois Lotto numbers for this weeks big 7 number game?.....thanks, your pal Ghosty

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
Yeah - by 1" in either direction he didn't end up with a simple second shot...View attachment 431816...

But ok there Nostradamus, can you do me a favor then, and tell me when we'll have a reliable vaccine for this Covid?...and also would ya please tell me the winning Illinois Lotto numbers for this weeks big 7 number game?.....thanks, your pal Ghosty
I would, but my magic 8 ball is out of water! I'm the only one that didn't like the bank here, just didn't like where the cb was hitting the 1 ball.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
What I don't understand is how the cb and 1 ended up so far up table. Looked like the cb would/could stay near where the 1 was after making the 13. He hit it pretty hard I guess..

wincardona

Verified Member
Ky, the bank was an excellent opportunity to win the game with zero downsides, as you can clearly see. He could of very easily come up with a shot but he was a little unlucky not to have. However, he still has several good options to strengthen his position or possibly continue his run and do further damage. Let's look at the possibilities the way I see them.

Donn can now play an offense shot with cross banking the 5ball and position his cue ball using the 12ball as a blocker this option looks to be very productive. He can also cross-bank the 5ball with a softer speed and position his cue ball on the top rail by the first diamond leaving his opponent awkwardly on the 4ball and there's a good chance the 5ball will block that.. He also can play conservatively and two rail the 1ball toward the 12ball while drawing the cue ball in back of the 12ball to protect the 4ball. As long as the 4ball is protected he's in good shape. Another offensive shot that he has is the 8-10 combination for those who strike balls decently. I would shoot this shot and hit it on the professional side striking the 8ball thickly and draw the cue ball slightly below the diamond under the side pocket. I see this option as a safe option with a chance to do further damage. These options aren't the only ones he has I'm sure other players will be able to point out more but the point is the bank on the 13ball was an excellent choice, IMO.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Art, are you feeling ok? This is the 3rd time in 13 years you agreed with my analysis. Thank you for finally coming to your senses. By the way..twisting back the 4ball??? seriously.

Dr. Bill
Actually there was a 4th time, back in '05..;) But yes, once in awhile you stumble onto the best shot..😄

Jokes aside, I think the twist back on the 4 is doable, along with po' on the 6ball, but it has to be cued perfectly. And I may not have set it up as precisely as in the photo.

However my shot is the 13 bank, taking out the 1ball.

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From here I like rolling through the 12 ball (aiming at the rail-first on the 4), and trying to get the CB onto the 8 ball. Otherwise I'd cut the 12 softly and roll the CB behind the 3-11 cluster. Now there is another ball by my hole, leaving a real tough position for the opponent. He'd almost have to try the 1ball straight back.

jtompilot

Verified Member
What I don't understand is how the cb and 1 ended up so far up table. Looked like the cb would/could stay near where the 1 was after making the 13. He hit it pretty hard I guess..
My guess, Donn got a little excited to have a chance to win the game and he hit the bank a tad hard. The 13 was the correct shot by a 10-1 margin

wincardona

Verified Member
From here I like rolling through the 12 ball (aiming at the rail-first on the 4), and trying to get the CB onto the 8 ball. Otherwise I'd cut the 12 softly and roll the CB behind the 3-11 cluster. Now there is another ball by my hole, leaving a real tough position for the opponent. He'd almost have to try the 1ball straight back.
Ghost mentioned that shooting the combination would leave some sort of a shot on the 7ball, I see it a little differently by controlling the cue ball similar to your suggestion hit with a softer speed. Your other option with floating on the 11ball off the 12ball is too risky, you can easily leave a cross-corner on the 10ball, other than that it would be ok.

Dr. Bill

cincy_kid

Verified Member
My guess, Donn got a little excited to have a chance to win the game and he hit the bank a tad hard. The 13 was the correct shot by a 10-1 margin
Yea I guess so lol... the way i shoot that shot is over cutting the 13 on the cross corner with some LHE. The cut induced english plus my left hand English really straightens it out nice but most importantly it allows you to hit the 1 in the face or even under it a bit pushing the 1 up table and cb stays close to where the 1 is now...good shot selection not great execution imo... but he is still in good shape... from here i like 2 railing the 1 and protect the 8..

Kybanks

Verified Member
I never said the bank wasn't the right shot, what I said was, I didn't like shooting at 1 ball without getting another shot. The way the cb was striking the other ball wasn't conducive to getting another shot. Turns out I was right!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I think if you took it to the table you would see that the bank is a pretty thin hit meaning you have to hit it pretty hard to get it to the hole... JMO

catkins

Verified Member
I am wondering which side of the one ball he hit if he hit the low side with a ton of right I think it would get the balls up table but also if he hit the right side of the one with top same result

sappo

Verified Member
I would, but my magic 8 ball is out of water! I'm the only one that didn't like the bank here, just didn't like where the cb was hitting the 1 ball.
Ky, you were not the only one that didn't choose the bank. Post #3 I chose to play off the 13 ball and hide the cue ball under the 6 ball. I think we should change the titles of these to WTBS, or Whats The Best Shot. When I answer these situations I reply with the shot that I would play not with the optimum shot selection assuming I was a player with exceptional skills. Our members seem to always respond with shots that require great skills and I doubt that many if any play as good as they type. Im not talking about this particular example because the bank here is a very makable shot and for me the decision was basically a coin flip. In this case I preferred to tie my opponent up and play from there. Keith

Reactions: lll

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Ky, you were not the only one that didn't choose the bank. Post #3 I chose to play off the 13 ball and hide the cue ball under the 6 ball. I think we should change the titles of these to WTBS, or Whats The Best Shot. When I answer these situations I reply with the shot that I would play not with the optimum shot selection assuming I was a player with exceptional skills. Our members seem to always respond with shots that require great skills and I doubt that many if any play as good as they type. Im not talking about this particular example because the bank here is a very makable shot and for me the decision was basically a coin flip. In this case I preferred to tie my opponent up and play from there. Keith
Good point Keith.

When I answer these, I always pick what I personally would do in this situation. I don't necessarily try to pick what Donn did until later if ghost says no one picked what he did. Remember whatever was chosen in these WWYD's doesn't mean its for sure the best shot, but it opens up the dialogue and we get to see different shot selections and some reasoning behind it, great learning tool imo!

lll

Verified Member
Keith
Its called what would YOU do
So i agree i try to pick what i can pull off
Its also good to know what was the best shot one to learn to analyse better snd to know what shots to work on
Jmho

Kybanks

Verified Member
Keith, I was concerned with the cb going into the 1 ball. I was afraid I could trap myself up and lose my position. After long thought and others input, I now see that the bank is the best option.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
My guess, Donn got a little excited to have a chance to win the game and he hit the bank a tad hard.

^ No, not really - he hit it at about pocket-speed...

I never said the bank wasn't the right shot, what I said was, I didn't like shooting at 1 ball without getting another shot. The way the cb was striking the other ball wasn't conducive to getting another shot. Turns out I was wrong! 😞
Good of you to admit it Kyb (y)

I am wondering which side of the one ball he hit if he hit the low side with a ton of right I think it would get the balls up table but also if he hit the right side of the one with top same result

Donn's cueball, using max. outside english, naturally hit the 1ball full on it's left side --- the 1ball then hit the long rail, then the head rail and ended up where you see it --- the cueball spun/rebounded off of the long rail to where you see it --- he got his cueball to his side of the table feeling (and rightly so) that he would have a simple shot on the 4ball next - it was just bad luck that he didn't.

- Ghost

Kybanks

Verified Member
^ No, not really - he hit it at about pocket-speed...

You're better at changing my words than my wife! Lol.

Good of you to admit it Kyb (y)

Donn's cueball, using max. outside english, naturally hit the 1ball full on it's left side --- the 1ball then hit the long rail, then the head rail and ended up where you see it --- the cueball spun/rebounded off of the long rail to where you see it --- he got his cueball to his side of the table feeling (and rightly so) that he would have a simple shot on the 4ball next - it was just bad luck that he didn't.

- Ghost