Eddie Kelly is gone

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I may be mistaken but didn't he do some commentary with Bobby Cotton at the 2018 West Coast Swing one pocket at California Billiards. R.I.P.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I got too see him, first time in 68 at Janscos as a college kid. He was dressed Very nice, and had a smile that lit up his area, and an outward laugh. His play style was unique somewhat sexy like Glen Atwell (glens not sexy ;), he was feared and respected by his peers. That says allot with the current list of Rounders present for three weeks.

Billy sorry for your loss.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I met Ed Kelly in the late 60's. I was sitting in a coffee shop and Ed comes in with Black Rudy. I was so in awe of the man. Of course I heard all the stories about him. He was immaculate and had a beautiful woman on his arm. I just ducked and kept reading my paper. Rudy yells out across the room and says,
"What?! You not talking to me anymore?". I wanted to hide under the table.
He tells me Ed is in town and is here for some action. Rudy was a big backer then.
All I could squeak out was "Nice to meet you Mr Kelly.". Rudy slapped me on the back and they walked off. 40 something years later I was in Vegas with Diliberto. And he introduces me to Kelly. Still he was immaculate. Dressed to the nines with that charming smile. All I could muster again was "Nice to meet you Mr Kelly". I was just in awe of him

baby huey

Verified Member
I was a very young guy playing in Hollywood Ca. around 1968 at a room called Celebrity Billiards. I played some guy One Pocket and finished up around midnight. Ed Kelly was there and came up to me to talk. He told me I had potential and gave me some pointers about the game. I didn't see him for over ten years and he remembered me from that night and we became friendly. He was some kind of player in his day. I was at Grady's event in Reno when he won it all and I was happy for him. I think that might have been the last time he played in a major event. What a player he was. RIP Eddie Kelly.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Thanks for all the kind remarks...very appreciated.

If I'm remembering correctly, Kelly & Cotton did commentary for the Chohan-Bustamante one pocket match at Good Timez in Las Vegas.

Several people pointed out that Kelly was so good at picking out the dead balls in the stack. That's because he was such an excellent straight pool player. I remember him standing on the rail watching the guys & he'd say, "Five's dead. Hit the 10 ball with low right." Boom - straight in the hole. This happened a zillion times as he'd stand there drinking his coffee. :)

Kelly was always generous with his knowledge. Another old schooler gone - what a shame that all the knowledge & history dies with them...

Last edited:

Henry

Verified Member
Thanks for all the kind remarks...very appreciated.

Kelly & Cotton did commentary for the Chohan-Bustamante match at Good Timez in Las Vegas. It was streamed by Daniel Busch's POVPool.com.

Several people pointed out that Kelly was so good at picking out the dead balls in the stack. That's because he was such an excellent straight pool player. I remember him standing on the rail watching the guys & he'd say, "Five's dead. Hit the 10 ball with low right." Boom - straight in the hole. This happened a zillion times as he'd stand there drinking his coffee. :)

Kelly was always generous with his knowledge. Another old schooler gone - what a shame that all the knowledge & history dies with them...

I watched that match and Kelly was kind of dismissive of both players he was not impressed and said at one point he said both players would need a ball from Ronnie when Ronnie was in his prime. He was a great commentator I really enjoyed it

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Great guy. I played in a tournament back in the sixties. Talked to him a couple of years ago at Griff's in Vegas.
He played in the IPT and in Reno he was disqualified in a match because he used a an illegal tip on his break cue. Told me that he knew nothing about that tip. Lost out on a few thousands for that. RIP Mr. Kelly

Tomato Stew

From
Springfield, MA
I met Eddie at LeCue in Houston in the late 1960's, a great player at all games. He was high profile, highly respected, and shot straighter than straight pocketing balls. Jersey Red and Greg Stevens ducked, and so did everyone else I think. He only stayed in town a short while. The pool world has lost an icon; RIP Eddie.