Fantastic match

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Here's a sleeper that I found yesterday, while waiting (in vain) for Laura. It's on YouTube, and it's a 1999 DCC one-pocket match between Wade Crane and Danny Diliberto. A perfect 10 for viewing - a race to three in less than an hour and a half - that comes down to the last ball in the hill-hill fifth game. I was really impressed by the play of both guys, who missed almost nothing they shot at. The AccuStats recording was quite good, even after 21 years. Bill Incardona and Bill Staton (Weenie Beanie) were in the booth, as well as Diane Crane, a very clever lady.

The match includes a really classic shot by Danny, into a nearly-complete stack - a straight-pool find that Corey Deuel would have loved. Beanie called it immediately when he spotted Danny studying the rack from all angles. Pat Fleming replayed it for us later. If I read it correctly, it involved six balls, a combination, three kisses and then another combination, with a perfect result. If you're short on time, pick it up at about 26:30. If you're not short on time, see it all. Recommended viewing.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Great play by both players. I always enjoy the old school guys , they were both fearless.
Always fun to watch aggressive shot makers go after balls most people would duck on.
4 inch pockets, lol they made them look like buckets.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks for posting this very special match! In my short stint as a pool player I got to meet Wade. No one would ask him to play, but finally he matched up and what a cannon of a break. I talked with Frank about Wade and he knew him well and echoed the same sentiments. Even in this OP match his stroke just oozes with power.
I see he grew up playing in Chicago. Maybe mr3c exemplify Crane's Chicago history, if he would be so kind.
I had not seen Danny play before, he is a live wire, and sure enjoyable to watch. His comment about Irving Crane. I think Irvin championship stretched over decades also. He started playing in world championships in the early '30's as did Mosconi, competition was tough for these young guys (heralded players in the '20's) and people just do not realize just how tough, for it was not until '41 for Mosconi to become world champion and '43 for Irving. But the 14.1 championship ended and then restarted up and they thought Irving was to old to win, but he did, of course.

I really liked that they played traditional breaks! Does any one know what cushions were being used on Diamond tables back then, for they seemed to be reacting very well. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Yes, I watched this match last night, too. I thought it would help me sleep but I had to watch it till the end (I couldn't put it down). I can't remember listening to weenie before in the booth and Billy was in dead stroke in the booth but both were great. It was very fun aggressive play where Crane got a few very good rolls after a miss...very entertaining.

Play like this would give one pocket a chance of being a popular spectator sport. Thanks!

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Thanks, Kid - what a treat! Who knew? Half a dozen legendary players I had never seen in action before. Had to laugh at the commentator, who announced that Shorty had his choice of pockets after Lasssiter's scratch. Great catch.