Getting out of the Kiss!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vtYBztX5UGHsKe7E7 It appears easy but it is not! You can not notice this in the video, but the cb is spinning quite a bit. Good luck in trying it!
If either the cb or the ob is moved just 3/8" or so then the bank changes completely, and really gets much easier to make once you have the knowledge of how to get out of the kiss. I practiced quite a few different cross corner banks by going across the face, and some had me stumped until I realized just what to put on the cb.

Let me know if there are any kiss banks you think I can not get out of, and I will give it a whirl. Of course I am not talking about obvious impossible banks to get out of the kiss, but I'll give them a whirl also if they are somewhat within reason.
But I often times see a player maul over whether to take a bank or not because they know it might or probably would be a kiss. So I'd advise setting up a bunch of these banks, and I bet you will figure out how to get out of most of the kisses. Enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Nice shooting whitey
i think the “pearl” is the line of balls was just above the point on the long rail on the first bank not into the facing
not sure the line of balls on the second try as you say a millimeter to 2 here or there makes a big difference
if you find a way to beat the kiss when the line of balls is into the facing I would love to learn how

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Nice shooting whitey
i think the “pearl” is the line of balls was just above the point on the long rail on the first bank not into the facing
not sure the line of balls on the second try as you say a millimeter to 2 here or there makes a big difference
if you find a way to beat the kiss when the line of balls is into the facing I would love to learn how
Larry, I did a bunch and also had the ob angle further up the long rail above the point, but this one gave me the most trouble. Yes, I did this shot by slightly moving the ob and cb in 6 different positions. You would be surprised the difference it makes.
But put up a diagram of the shot (or shots) you would like me to get out of the kiss on, if you will. I will need pretty exact coordinates. I of course will enjoy working through them! thanks, Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
whitey
play around with placing the balls anywhere you want but the line of centers of the balls have to aim at the center of the facing
kiss spot.png

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
whitey
play around with placing the balls anywhere you want but the line of centers of the balls have to aim at the center of the facing
View attachment 432477
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BJ9p8X3gxNsbBKTB8
Thanks Larry, this shot is very demanding. I somewhat previous knew it for as I stated; "I played with this shot in 6 different positions". But, I do not believe I had it set up exactly as you depicted it, for this was somewhat tougher.
Notice the cb going straight into the rail and straight back off. Thanks, you got anymore! Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
great shot whitey
i too have found if you have the cue ball not go forward or backward some close kisses can be beat
i think because you are at an angle almost parrallel with the facing you are at the boundary of where the kiss begins
and thus you could beat it narrowly
to make it even tougher bring the cue ball closer to the foot rail
but maintain the line of centers to the middle of the facing

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
whitey thats BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT SHOT
THANKS ALOT..... (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

unoperro

Verified Member
I knew before you shot it what the secret was but the shot can be made 2 other ways.

A dbl kiss at the bottom rail.

Hard center punching down slightly on the cueball. Ball banks straighter back and whitey jumps the returning object ball.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I knew before you shot it what the secret was but the shot can be made 2 other ways.

A dbl kiss at the bottom rail.

Hard center punching down slightly on the cueball. Ball banks straighter back and whitey jumps the returning object ball.
first idea i dont really understand but will play with it
second i have to try it out
thanks for sharing this.... (y)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vtYBztX5UGHsKe7E7 It appears easy but it is not! You can not notice this in the video, but the cb is spinning quite a bit. Good luck in trying it!
If either the cb or the ob is moved just 3/8" or so then the bank changes completely, and really gets much easier to make once you have the knowledge of how to get out of the kiss. I practiced quite a few different cross corner banks by going across the face, and some had me stumped until I realized just what to put on the cb.

Let me know if there are any kiss banks you think I can not get out of, and I will give it a whirl. Of course I am not talking about obvious impossible banks to get out of the kiss, but I'll give them a whirl also if they are somewhat within reason.
But I often times see a player maul over whether to take a bank or not because they know it might or probably would be a kiss. So I'd advise setting up a bunch of these banks, and I bet you will figure out how to get out of most of the kisses. Enjoy, Whitey
Whitey, I've seen you make the masse bank, I believe if you shorten your bridge a lot (sorta close to your Ferrell) that you can make this bank easier. The shorter bridge helps
It sends the CB ahead instead of deflecting. Give it a couple of tries and let me know.
P.S. I remember being able to stiff this bank. It was never easy and took some work, but finally doable.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
unlocking the secrets of pool one shot at a time!
"you wouldn't believe how long it took to figure this out, but I had a lot of fun doing it" - Whitey.

I'm really happy to be able to tune in to your locksmithing video's, Whitey. Thanks for sharing so much.

btw; you might think about making that phrase a signature line: 'unlocking the secrets of pool one shot at a time!'