Ghost vs. Mike 3 - wwyd?

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Banking the 5 to my side...cue off rail behind the 15....or 2 rail 15 to my side...come off rail and lay between 2-3

vapros

Verified Member
I would two-rail the 5 ball into my area and follow it almost to the long rail. I don't see any banks for Mike from there, except the 11 ball, and I don't think he will go for that.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I am 2 railing the 12 to my hole. I am going to drift down nice and easy.
My focus is on speed of the object ball and trying to double him up on the 14 and 12.
No one is ever shooting the 11 from there and he now has to defend against me.

1113.JPG

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Well the 5 ball bank is the default offensive/defense shot.

But Fat's 2-railer on the 12 is good, especially if the angle is right. Rather than follow the CB forward, I'd look at drawing the CB slightly back to snuggle up against the 14. Pretty good leave there...

lll

Verified Member
this is very interesting to me
so my questions are for comments more on strategy thinking than best shot
early after the break i look to eliminate his threats
so moving the 5 or 15 and leaving the cue ball safe is my first shot
dans shot ...putting a ball as threat and hiding whitey
puts more pressure on your opponent
i know someone will come up with other shots
but what are your thoughts on these strategically different shots?

Hardmix

Verified Member
I am 2 railing the 12 to my hole. I am going to drift down nice and easy.
My focus is on speed of the object ball and trying to double him up on the 14 and 12.
No one is ever shooting the 11 from there and he now has to defend against me.

i like this shot but you HAVE to get the 12 close to the pocket. If it creeps up the long rail Mike will have a free shot on the 15.

View attachment 429973

vapros

Verified Member
It's hard to see an exact line from a picture, but it looks to me like the 12 ball will two-rail toward my pocket, as Chicago Fats said it would. However, if I shoot that shot I won't send Jojo uptable. I will park it right there on top of the 14 ball. A two-railer like this one, as a lag, is hard to butcher.

Tobermory

Verified Member
It looks fairly simple to 2 rail the 15 and nestle the CB up against the 2 and 3. If hit well, he's in trouble, especially if you can leave the 15 near the short rail where it will take away his ability to escape by just nipping the CB off the 3 and down to that rail. If it lay perfect so that I could get the CB right on to the 14 I'd be tempted by the 2 railer on the 12, but I see many escapes from that predicament, and if I actually made the 12, I might just trap myself.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I'm banking the 8 ball straight back and leaving the cb around the 1st diamond by the 8 ball. I've got 2 blockers in the stripes and I may leave the 15 ball, but I'm gonna let em shoot it from there.

NH Steve

Administrator
It's hard to see an exact line from a picture, but it looks to me like the 12 ball will two-rail toward my pocket, as Chicago Fats said it would. However, if I shoot that shot I won't send Jojo uptable. I will park it right there on top of the 14 ball. A two-railer like this one, as a lag, is hard to butcher.
Yeah that does look good -- sticking right there.

However what I might like even better -- if it felt simple at the table -- would be to cross the 5 and lightly draw the cue ball into the 6. The 6 stops the cue ball in a nice spot where if the 5 goes, you have a shot, if it doesn't the 9 and 1 provide cover for the 5, and the 2/3 don't let him see the 15. If that looked readily do-able given the cue ball is only a couple of inches off the side rail, that is what I would shoot. It looks reasonable in the pics.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like elevating slightly and shooting the 15 straight ahead and draw the CB back into the catcher's mitt.

15 goes 2 rails into the 1 and both balls stay in my quadrant.

If that doesn't look good at the table I am also lagging the 5 to my quadrant and playing CB off his long rail and try to freeze him on the back of the 15 forcing him to shoot at the 11 most likely.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
By the way, Mitch would play the 10 ball carom off the 7 to his hole, CB run into the 3 and he is off to the races! :)

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I would not leave it anywhere that has a direct path to the 15 ball for Mike. You can pick the spot on top of the 8 or behind/next to 8. I originally though about the suggestion to just stick the it behind the 14 ball, but I have played ghost a few times and he is going to move out of that spot much more easily than being 5 feet away.

NH Steve

Administrator
I'm banking the 8 ball straight back and leaving the cb around the 1st diamond by the 8 ball. I've got 2 blockers in the stripes and I may leave the 15 ball, but I'm gonna let em shoot it from there.
Makes a lot of sense for a good banker! I find it interesting to see how different players choose different shots, based on their strengths and weaknesses. Is there a game that invites that anywhere near as much as One Pocket?? I don't think so!!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I was considering that shot too, because it's a pretty makeable bank. The problem is if you make it, there's no good follow up shot.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Since that's a light Belgium cue ball, I'd be tempted to bank the 15 to my side with extreme check/inside draw & put whitey on the backside of the 3. Measles ball, no way.. That two railer tho if you make it, where's your cue ball going to be? My first inclination tho, was to bank the 15 two rails into the 7 carom, if I hit the 7 low or high, I will be sending one of the two near my hole.

Island Drive

Verified Member
That's too simple, a Ghost shot for sure....he left us allot of bait, but you stayed near the boat. :)