Verified Member
this is very interesting to me
so my questions are for comments more on strategy thinking than best shot
early after the break i look to eliminate his threats
so moving the 5 or 15 and leaving the cue ball safe is my first shot
dans shot ...putting a ball as threat and hiding whitey
puts more pressure on your opponent
i know someone will come up with other shots
but what are your thoughts on these strategically different shots?
Watch Evan Lunda vs Chip Compton at Herb and Dees one pocket tournament.
Evan shot basically the same shot, {2 railer with opponents makeable balls after a miss, in a little tougher position} , result, loss of game.
You can often get away with those distance shots, against 5 and 10 dollar players ,but the good players will usually punish you.

catkins

Verified Member
I go simple bank the 5 two rails to my side and roll on the back of the 15. It is hard to tell but it looks like you can cut the 5 enough to contact the 1 and open up two balls and playing the speed to freeze on the 15 is not difficult. I don't like the 15 as to draw it your going to have to jack up which seems like it could get away from me if I miss hit the side of the ball a little

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Thin the one ball and leave the cueball on the side rail by the fifteen ball. Its a very common one pocket shot.
Good classic 1P shot. And has the added bonus of opening up the shooter's 9 ball.
No, not quite Doc...this common one pocket shot was not an option in this particular situation = the 1ball is a little too far from my pocket = the speed of the object ball and the cueball don't quite match up for an optimum result.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
2 rail the 15 hard into the edge of the 3 or 7 to send balls your way. make one and run out.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
No, not quite Doc...this common one pocket shot was not an option in this particular situation = the 1ball is a little too far from my pocket = the speed of the object ball and the cueball don't quite match up for an optimum result.
It looks like you could roll thin off the 1 ball two rails to behind the 15 or 3. But I'll defer to your judgement, since you were at the live table.

WCRanger

Verified Member
If I can get to the 15, I'm knocking it out of the way and taking the cue off the long rail back to the stack. It looks to me like the angle is there. 15 should two rail back towards the stack. I might get lucky and move some furniture to my side in the process.001.JPG

chicagomike

Verified Member
I am firing the 8 ball straight back and drawing the CB back to the 7 ball continue the run....i think.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Another shot that hasn't been mentioned is to bank the 8 ball at the 9-1 and leave the cb on the long rail by the pocket. Those 2 stripes serve as pretty good protection if anything bleeds towards my hole.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
If I can get to the 15, I'm knocking it out of the way and taking the cue off the long rail back to the stack. It looks to me like the angle is there. 15 should two rail back towards the stack. I might get lucky and move some furniture to my side in the process.
It looks like you'd have to get about a half-ball hit on the 15 for that shot, which I'm not sure is doable here. But even if you just stick the CB where the 15 lays, it's not a bad shot.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
If anyone has the stroke to do this, you do sir.... :)
Yeah Chris...and don't think Mike is kidding either - he's shot similar straight-back-bank/table-length draw shots many times against me ---- with probably about a 50% success ratio.

alpodog

Verified Member
You have a million shots here, comes down to what your comfortable with. Thin the one and come up behind the stack, bank the 5 and freeze up on the 15, bank the 8 and kill the cb, 2 railer on the 12 is good too, I like sticking the cb right there. It's all about comfort zone

J.R.

Verified Member
I find that it is somewhat difficult to determine which of the two shots I may choose from the photos but I am either shooting the 15-ball with a semi firm draw stroke to get the cue ball near the 2-ball and 3-ball or I am shooting the 15 ball with a rolling cue ball to come off the side rail to get the cue ball near the 2-ball and 3-ball. My thinking is three-fold. First, I take away a threatening ball which is close to my opponent's pocket. Second, I move the threatening ball which is close to my to my opponent's pocket and hit it to my side of the stack which may now roll into a position to become a threatening ball by my pocket. Third, after shooting the semi firm draw stroke on the cue ball or shooting a rolling cue ball off the side rail, then should the cue ball freeze on the 2-ball my opponent will not have many options depending where the 15-ball had stopped at on my side of the table.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Yeah, you guys 2-railing the 12 were on the same page as me...but...youse guys weren't optimizing the shot = instead of 2-railing the 12 and sticking on the 14 for a safety, or 2-railing the 12 and following down to the head rail...

Since the 13 doesn't go in Mike's pocket...and he can't see the 15 as long as I don't go waay too far forward...what I did was shoot 2-railer and stun my cueball 4 inches forward so as to have ideal position on the 14 - and if I make the 2-railer, I run balls, and it might be a game-winner...

I hit my cueball correctly, but unfortunately I 005.JPGmissed the 2-railer by about 2 inches...here's how it turned out >>>005.JPG

Last edited: