I Am the Walrus WWYD, trying to run all 15 balls

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I am late to this party!
From my perspective of the picture, I would of shot the 11 and come across side for whatever shot I landed on best. Nice shooting, thanks Dave for doing a video. Whitey

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
One of the things I love most about one pocket and 3 cushion, very rarely is there just one proper shot choice. What's right for one person may not be the best shot for others, you can be as creative as you want to be. In this example there were a few choices to continue the run and after reading the suggestions I learned a couple more. Thank you all for your replies!

When I was learning 3 cushion I was told that no matter what shot you choose, always have a reason for your choice. I believe this to be true in one pocket, too. So here's what I was thinking (if you care):

I looked at the 11 ball first to come off the rail past the 15 ball to have an angle to possibly break up the 2 ball on the long rail, and if I went too far I would have the combo. But if I was forced to play the combo next I wasn't sure what the breakout ball would be.

Then I looked at the 6/8 combo but was nervous about the 5 ball dropping down to the short rail or the 12 ball floating to the long rail due to the angle of the cut of the combo. Having 2 balls on either the short rail or side rail would have made running 15 very difficult. Plus, if a ball is made out of turn it stays down.

Then I looked at the 15 ball. Even though it's a little off angle if I was able to throw it in with soft draw/spin I would have much better angle for the combo without moving the breakout balls too far to keep them in play.

I don't know what the correct shot was, but this was my thought process and reasoning, good or bad. But as mentioned, there is very rarely one and only choice.

This was my choice...get out of my head Bill Smith!!!! LOL (and you too, Larry) 🤯

Good shootin.. I read your original post carefully, but when I chose, I actually reverted back to thinking about needing five more. Not going for all 15.. I think you did right, now.. (alibi J?)..But these type of things are a lot of fun to me.. TY...

12squared

Verified Member
I am late to this party!
From my perspective of the picture, I would of shot the 11 and come across side for whatever shot I landed on best. Nice shooting, thanks Dave for doing a video. Whitey
Just glad you made it to the party. I don't have the patience like Ghost to let it run 3-4 days.

12squared

Verified Member
Good shootin.. I read your original post carefully, but when I chose, I actually reverted back to thinking about needing five more. Not going for all 15.. I think you did right, now.. (alibi J?)..But these type of things are a lot of fun to me.. TY...
Thx

Island Drive

Verified Member
How does the CB get past the 8, when you clip the 6 ball to get even with the 11?
It's a Power Draw shot. The forward momentum of your cue ball towards the 6, along with it's excessive back spin, is very controllable coming off a thick carom/draw for me.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I must be having what Island Dr. is on, for I can envision his shot. Stroking with low left causes the cb draw to delay plus the first reaction would be to go towards the 6 then drawing back off the 6 and leaving a shot on the 11. An advance shot for sure, and a little tricky but doable. Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
I must be having what Island Dr. is on, for I can envision his shot. Stroking with low left causes the cb draw to delay plus the first reaction would be to go towards the 6 then drawing back off the 6 and leaving a shot on the 11. An advance shot for sure, and a little tricky but doable. Whitey
A video works for me Whitey! I'd like to learn it.

Why bust up a very good combo?

12squared

Verified Member
Yes, I can envision the shot, too. If you hit the shot with speed the CB will first take the tangent line before drawing allowing the draw to take after hitting the 6 ball. Maybe hitting it a little softer with right spin draw would do the same to create a little steeper angle. I'm just not sure why you would play this shot in this situation...

It looks like the 6 ball would head toward the bottom rail, which is one thing I would want to avoid. Getting more balls on the short (bottom) rail where the 3 ball is, or on the side rail where the 2 ball is would make it much more difficult to run all 15 balls.

I like the shot in other situations and good to have in ones arsenal, but in this case not for me. But thank you Bill Meacham for bringing this up and bring so creative. It's good to be tall LOL.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would love to see a video of the shot off the 12 to get where it was diagrammed to play the combination next , without hitting the 6 ball. It looks to me like the 12 is missing the pocket almost completely , so you need to turn it at least 2.00 inches or so in 2 diamonds with almost no left to help it , and it has to be a really soft speed otherwise the 3 to 1 draw shot comes into play , unless you guys know a way to cut that ball and draw it without it going to the shooters left?????? If you do , please tell me .

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
I would love to see a video of the shot off the 12 to get where it was diagrammed to play the combination next , without hitting the 6 ball. It looks to me like the 12 is missing the pocket almost completely , so you need to turn it at least 2.00 inches or so in 2 diamonds with almost no left to help it , and it has to be a really soft speed otherwise the 3 to 1 draw shot comes into play , unless you guys know a way to cut that ball and draw it without it going to the shooters left?????? If you do , please tell me .
If you're talking about drawing it off the 15 and not hitting the combo balls, see post #15, I explain my thought process and show the video clip. It was almost identical to what Bill Smith drew up. (The 12 ball is way on the right of the stack). The shot was lined up outside the pocket but not as much as you described. Thanks for asking.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
A video works for me Whitey! I'd like to learn it.

Why bust up a very good combo?
Bill, I should of clarified that this is not a shot I would do in this scenario. I am still sticking to doing the 11 ball for my first shot based upon the perspective of the picture as it appears to me. Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I cant wait to get my own table and a camera set up so I can start participating in these videos! I know I have said this before on one of Whitey's threads but I appreciate all you guys who are doing / have done the video posts, I look forward to them!

12squared

Verified Member
I cant wait to get my own table and a camera set up so I can start participating in these videos! I know I have said this before on one of Whitey's threads but I appreciate all you guys who are doing / have done the video posts, I look forward to them!
Yay, you don't do enough for us/this site. 🙄😂🤣👍💪