John vs. Barry 9 - wwyd?

wincardona

Verified Member
I think Cardone and Baby Huey both need to clean their glasses...😄 As others have mentioned, the 9ball is too low for the carom shot. And I don't believe the 2ball can be hit for a bank on account of the 4ball being in the way.

3CBill's shot is probably the best shot-- shooting the 9 into the 10, and sticking. My second choice would be banking the 15 straight-back and kicking the CB over to the opponent's rail. One note of caution though: I'm not sure that the 5 can't be made by a rail first ticky...
Good eye with the rail first ticky, I was looking at that shot as well.

There's also another option that's available that hasn't been discussed and that would be to back kick the 14ball off the side rail to your pocket. It seems to be laying well for this option to be viable.
Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
There's also another option that's available that hasn't been discussed and that would be to back kick the 14ball off the side rail to your pocket. It seems to be laying well for this option to be viable.
Dr. Bill
Uuh.....yet another member of onepocket.org flunks their reading comprehension test 🧐 >>> Billy, see post #36 where me and Bill Meacham are hanging out.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
And btw...once again, the shot that the shooter (Barry in this case) chose, hasn't been mentioned yet.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Did he cut the 6 towards his hole ending up on his long rail with LHE and spun the cb over to the other long rail above the 5/7 but not high enough to give up the 15 bank cross corner?

wincardona

Verified Member
And btw...once again, the shot that the shooter (Barry in this case) chose, hasn't been mentioned yet.
At the risk of failing my reading comprehension test I'm thinking he chose to bank the 15ball three cushions while drawing his cue ball to the side rail playing position for the 6ball.

And now for my note worthy point. I feel that the shooter must figure out a move that involves moving the 10ball or some trapping move that precludes his opponent from extending the game. As long as the 10ball sits in the position its in there will always be a threat to possibly either lose the game or fall into a deficit hard to overcome.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
another shot (not mentioned I dont think) that I dont like as well but still could be viable:

Bank the 15 3 rails to your pocket, CB goes up table on the head rail...if the 15 falls, you bank the 8 next and keep the CB there behind the stack on his long rail
Does this post find me guilty of failing the reading comprehension test? My choice is to DRAW the cue ball to the side rail not follow it. 🤒 Anyways I like the three rail option with the 15ball better than the one rail option banking the 15ball. Asong as you DRAW the cue ball.

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
kicking long rail to long rail to snuggle on the 10 has not been mentioned yet i dont think (sorry if i missed it )

Island Drive

Verified Member
I don't like that shot....why? Now I'm on the foot rail, able to either hide behind that ball or, if whitey is below it, shoot it down table and freeze on the head rail.

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
I don't like that shot....why? Now I'm on the foot rail, able to either hide behind that ball or, if whitey is below it, shoot it down table and freeze on the head rail.
These things could happen, but they dont have to.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Removing the 8 ball to your side and putting the cb behind the 14 ball does have some upsides. The 7,5 takeout will send balls to your pocket, and if the angle is right, the cb could end up behind the 10 ball. He could leave you a free shot on the 8 ball or 15 ball. I like this option more than the 9,10 carom because of no moving parts.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I'm banking the 15 and protecting it with the stack - the CB comes to rest by the 8.

Alternatively, I like caroming the 13 off the 9 with stun-follow. The 9 takes care of the 10 banking it to my side. There is no sell-out unless the 9 hits the 10 full in the face off the side rail

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Did he cut the 6 towards his hole ending up on his long rail with LHE and spin the cb over to the other long rail above the 5/7 but not high enough to give up the 15 bank cross corner?
Brother Chris, good call, that is eggzactly what Barry did...and he managed to hit it perfect = he got the 6ball right in front of his pocket, and he got his cueball evenly centered behind the stack where John is blocked from kicking out the 6, either from the long rail or the foot rail....here's how it came out >>>

XX99.JPG

catkins

Verified Member
nice shot i like it, BUt I would still play more offensive in the position as i feel I could win with a few of these shots

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
nice shot i like it, BUt I would still play more offensive in the position as i feel I could win with a few of these shots
Yeah Chris, if it was my shot I'd either play the 9ball carom-bank off of the 10, or bank the 15 and come across for the 6 next.

wincardona

Verified Member
Brother Chris, good call, that is eggzactly what Barry did...and he managed to hit it perfect = he got the 6ball right in front of his pocket, and he got his cueball evenly centered behind the stack where John is blocked from kicking out the 6, either from the long rail or the foot rail....here's how it came out >>>

View attachment 431790
There's a possible three-cushion kick available to escape, or you can bank the 15ball cross side and carom into the 6ball.

From the picture above, it looks like the 9-13ball carom is very makeable, but sometimes particular camera views are misleading.