John vs. Pete 1 wwyd?

darmoose

Verified Member
For those of you banking the 1 and getting up behind the 12.....well all I can say is prop bet!
Ben,

Are you betting that the one ball can't be made, or that the CB can't be sidled up to the back of the 12 ball? :unsure:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I'm banking the 1 off the side rail and back into the 12 bringing both balls over to my side while trying to leave the cue ball down to the bottom rail.

unoperro

Verified Member
I took 1 quick look at this wwyd and thought-
Dr. Bill is coming off the 15 and laying whitey along the foot rail.
I see he posted exactly that!

wincardona

Verified Member
For those of you banking the 1 and getting up behind the 12.....well all I can say is prop bet!
There's no way banking the 1ball to the pocket you can come close to the 12ball. The carom after contacting the 1ball sends the cue ball away from the 12ball.

Jerry's option banking the 1ball into the 5 and 8ball is a very good optjon providing you can control the cue ball to the top rail. I like his shot a lot, playing off the 15ball to drop behind the 5ball for my other choice.

I believe with these two players John should come off the 15ball being two balls better than his opponent.

Dr. Bill

Kybanks

Verified Member
If I was going to bank the 1 ball, I would go all out to make the 1 ball and follow my cb to the rai just left of the 12 ball and out 1 diamond. The cb and 12 ball would be in a straight line to the side pocket. This would also give me the perfect angle on the 15 ball to win the game. I'm almost talking myself into changing my shot! Lol. I would have to give this some serious thought if I was at the table.

J.R.

Verified Member
Deja vu! I had a similar table lay-out last night versus Neal Jacobs at Chris's Billiards.

Based on the photo, I would select to come off the left side of the 15-ball with a touch of high left English. The cue ball would strike near the 1st diamond closest to my opponent's pocket on the side rail, rebound off the side rail, and stop on or near the the head rail by the 5-ball and 8-ball. Consequently, if the shot is properly executed, the 15-ball will be closer to my pocket, the 5-ball and 8-ball would become blockers for the 15-ball, and this is an example of "grinding" to win the game.

By the way, last night when I executed nearly the exact same shot in the aforementioned similar table lay-out, it ultimately proved to be the reason I won the game a couple of shots later.

beatle

Verified Member
this time it looks to me the 15 will hit the 8,5 and then break them open. might leave an easy bank and he gets out of it by just two railing the 3 or banking the 1 up towards his hole.

Hardmix

Verified Member
Bank the 1 low left draw the cb 2 rails out of top corner back down table to close the game.

wincardona

Verified Member
Correctomundo Doc - that shot is not possible for the reason that you stated...and additionally, because it was 88 degrees with high humidity that day, causing the table/bank shots to play short...

That said, if you play your cueball to go behind the 12, the 1 will bank above or at the 15.
I don't see the cue ball falling behind the 12ball regardless of how the 1ball is struck. Looks like you need to cut the 1ball to the right and in doing so the cue ball cannot follow through the 1ball it must carom away from the 12ball.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I don't see the cue ball falling behind the 12ball regardless of how the 1ball is struck. Looks like you need to cut the 1ball to the right and in doing so the cue ball cannot follow through the 1ball it must carom away from the 12ball.

Dr. Bill
Duh....Billy, don't quote me when saying that 🧐 quote one of the guys who keep picking that as their shot choice although I've told them, (as has Doc and Ben) sorry, but that's not gonna happen.

wincardona

Verified Member
Duh....Billy, don't quote me when saying that 🧐 quote one of the guys who keep picking that as their shot choice although I've told them, (as has Doc and Ben) sorry, but that's not gonna happen.
My apology must have misread your post. Anyways this is a good wwyd it offers different options based on the caliber of player, the score, and the risk-reward evaluation certain shots carry.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
this time it looks to me the 15 will hit the 8,5 and then break them open. might leave an easy bank and he gets out of it by just two railing the 3 or banking the 1 up towards his hole.
I believe you are misjudging the hit on the 15ball when you say that the 15ball will go into the 8ball and possibly sell out a return shot. You may be correct if the shot is struck in that fashion but it would be foolish to play the 15ball into the 8ball when you can thinly strike the 15ball sending the cue ball to the side rail and then to the bottom rail one diamond from your opponents pocket. The 15ball if hit decently with the correct speed will end up near the pocket about three to four inches from the bottom rail and the cue ball behind the 5ball protecting the 15ball. This is a speed-sensitive shot that figures to be successful a high % of the time.

Dr. Bill

Hardmix

Verified Member
For a left hander, which I am, I still think banking the 3 is the shot. The balls are close which will allow you to control the speed of both rather easily.

wincardona

Verified Member
For a left hander, which I am, I still think banking the 3 is the shot. The balls are close which will allow you to control the speed of both rather easily.
Not necessarily. Even for a left-handed player, this shot is difficult to reach and if hit poorly you can scratch in the catty-corner pocket. The 3ball option is lessened because of the difficulty in comfortably reaching the shot, even for a left-handed player. We are talking about an option that requires an accurate hit and good cue ball placement, which are both compromised by the awkward position the shot presents itself with.

Dr. Bill

beatle

Verified Member
okay these other shots do work, no disagreement about them being effective if hit right. it comes down to who can hit what
without leaving a decent shot for him.
lets eliminate the 1 getting behind the 12 and lower where he cant have a shot.. pics can be deceiving and why argue over them.

the 15 shot works for billly as he says it works. to me i think i would have to cut the 15 alot and could mess up and leave a bank or lose the cueball if not hit precisely. legitimate shot though.

banking the 3 is too dangerous just because you have to leave him some kind of shot. why do that.

i dont want to leave a weaker player any shot to get ahead of me where if he misses i dont get to run some balls.

so i will go back to my original, and hit the 5,8 away and stick the cue ball on the rail down there.

against a weaker player unless i am down and in a bad spot i dont want to risk selling out. as he will do that to himself at some point. against a better player and down in ball count i will increase my risk substantially in direct proportion to his ability and the ball count, as to its negativity to my chances of winning.

lll

Verified Member
I was trying to show that
My bad
At least people could make their own ideas as far as the angles go

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I think that cutting the 15 with outside spin is a good shot if the shooter can execute it. But keep in mind two things: you're shooting while bridging over the 3 ball, which will probably cause the shooter to impart a little left swerve from shooting slightly down on the CB, which has to be accounted for. Also the shot must end up that the 5-8 cluster blocks a shot on the 15 --which is only a 4"-5" barrier. Otherwise the opponent will bank the 15 into the 5-8 pushing 2 or 3 balls near his pocket, while sending whitey uptable and into a big headache for you.

vapros

Verified Member
The shot on the spot ball is one of my favorites and I shoot it often. I will shoot it from almost anywhere right of center with left english and leave Jojo on the short rail, or very near it. Of course, I am not shooting to leave the object ball near my pocket. It goes uptable, according to the situation.