John vs. Pete 2 wwyd?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Well I picked cutting the 8, but Ghost does not like it. So my next choice would be the kiss off the 5 into the 8. That appears to be a good outcome whether I make it or not. I would expect to at least hang it.
Banking the 13, I am staying away from. Whitey

Tobermory

Verified Member
Yes, the plan would be to overcut the 8, aim for the outer third of the pocket, and it will naturally throw into the middle of the pocket.

Obviously, then you come off the 11 and tuck the cueball under the 9.

And as for the debate re. cutting in the 8 and being able to miss nipping the 5 on the way out or not...since I was at the table viewing the ball layout in person, here's how it looked to me...

I can not tell you definitively...it was a very, very close call 🧐 as to whether it was possible to cut in the 8 and be able to miss nipping the 5 on the way out...I'll leave it like this...if you were going to attempt it, you better cut the 8 into the top half of the pocket, not the bottom half.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
other shot...pocket the 15, pull back and freeze em on that 9, guess you gotta be looking at it to know for sure. (but I think it's time to go)
I'd never draw the CB here. Thin the 15 with left, go to top rail and the CB dies naturally under the 9. Playing that way will get you froze or close to froze on the 9 all the time. Drawing it is a much harder shot to gauge.

wincardona

Verified Member
If the billiard is on and a high% make it would be hard to pass up. Jerry implied that the shot is very makeable even for a lesser player which endorses the option more than enough to choose it. Playing the billiard from the angle shown in terms of the execution of it IMO it should be softly rolled, reason being is that your cue ball will be fast after contact. However, Ghost has yet to endorse the billiard which surprises me if in fact it's a simple roll shot. For now the billiard is my choice as well.

Dr. Bill

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I'd never draw the CB here. Thin the 15 with left, go to top rail and the CB dies naturally under the 9. Playing that way will get you froze or close to froze on the 9 all the time. Drawing it is a much harder shot to gauge.
This is why I did not choose to bank the 13, for if not made this is then the follow up return shot to bury me on the 9. Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Well I picked cutting the 8, but Ghost does not like it. So my next choice would be the kiss off the 5 into the 8. That appears to be a good outcome whether I make it or not. I would expect to at least hang it.
Banking the 13, I am staying away from. Whitey
I like the 13 bank, because I can reach it, and because it's a fairly routine bank. If I had to use the bridge, I wouldn't choose that shot. I've never used an extension, but I'd like to try one. Actually it might be better to just hang the 13, or leave it real close. It's tough for an opponent to deal with 3 balls by the hole.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like the 13 bank, because I can reach it, and because it's a fairly routine bank. If I had to use the bridge, I wouldn't choose that shot. I've never used an extension, but I'd like to try one. Actually it might be better to just hang the 13, or leave it real close. It's tough for an opponent to deal with 3 balls by the hole.
You could even bank it short and go in off the 8 or have 3 balls close to your hole with him long. I would personally play it pocket speed to the hole to make it, if I do i make the 11 next and try to hook him if I can. I would not shoot it if I could not reach it but it looks easy from here as a rightly...

For the billiard, it's hard to argue with baby huey + dr bill liking the same shot, but to me the 8 is too far from the pocket. Too risky for me and if I make it my next shot has to be a bank, so its not like a guaranteed run.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Hell just get up on the table, and if the yuppie your playing doesn't like it, tell him to stick it and go back to yuppieville. smile! Whitey

Real games play behind the line, spot balls, and get up on the table!

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Hell just get up on the table, and if the yuppie your playing doesn't like it, tell him to stick and go back to yuppieville. smile! Whitey

Real games play behind the line, spot balls, and get up on the table!
And you have what say on the org. rules committee😜

jtompilot

Verified Member
I am banking the 12 ball cross corner with max left and sending the cb 3 rails at the 9 ball.
I don’t mind that bank but I’d love the 11 to go in using the 9 for a blocker.

If I think I can cut the 8 that’s what I’m playing

unoperro

Verified Member
As for the billiard Our own Bob Jewett has a 10 times Fuller video So I'm sure he can answer that question

Kybanks

Verified Member
I don’t mind that bank but I’d love the 11 to go in using the 9 for a blocker.

If I think I can cut the 8 that’s what I’m playing
Some people hit the lottery, others win a couple of dollars on a scratch off ticket. Hitting the 9 is a couple of bucks on a scratch off. Lol

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Thank you Jeff Sparks for suggesting the carom on the eight ball. From the images provided this shot appears to be a high percentage play with natural position on the cross corner bank. As appealing as the straight back on the thirteen is, I would pass on it because if that shot is missed then all three of those balls will disappear from that area of the table. There is too much to lose with that shot and you still end up with the carom if you make the bank. Play it now! These caroms shots can be manipulated in a variety of ways to suit the needs to both pocket the ball and secure position.

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
Some people hit the lottery, others win a couple of dollars on a scratch off ticket. Hitting the 9 is a couple of bucks on a scratch off. Lol
image.jpg
Just for the heck of it I banked the 12 and almost made the corner ball

jtompilot

Verified Member
I cut the 8 ball five times, made it three times. Of the three makes here’s the worst of my shape. Of coarse it depends on exactly where the balls are to start with.
image.jpg

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well, John shot the straight back bank on the 13ball that several here also chose....John hit it well, but his pocket-speed was slightly too soft - it was tracking right into the pocket but stopped a coupla inches short - his cueball, he hit perfect......here's how it turned out >>>

P.S. If I was Pete now, I will soft-ticky the 13....some might want to hit the right side of the 8 and fram all three balls away - you could do that, but you can't control your cueball = might leave a bank on the 12, or worse....another option is that you could pocket the 13 - with a 100% straight rolling table and a perfect hit, you could have your cueball end up productively nestled against the 8.

Last edited: