John vs. Ray 6 - wwyd?

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
Ray's shot --- his pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 0-0, both going to 8 --- wwyd ----->
I would look hard at 2 railing the 12 (the one further away, not the 10 which is closer to the CB) into 4/14 and drawing the CB to the short rail. It looks a harder shot than drawing off the 10 and I may leave a bank on the 4 if I don't hit it perfect

If I don't like the 2-railer, my second choice would be to open up the 4 and go uptable. I'm not sure low left is available to flatten the angle but I will try to leave the CB on the top rail behind the 8.

Edit. I'm obviously late to this party as Kybanks and 12squared picked both shots. Good shouts, lads!

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I think I am going to keep this simple, yet effective if I execute properly. It looks like I have the angle for this, I would shoot into the right side of the 2 ball with RHE, CB to his long rail and then come and snuggle under the 3 on the foot rail. I should have a pretty good shot next inning.

Ratamon

Well-Known-Member
I think I am going to keep this simple, yet effective if I execute properly. It looks like I have the angle for this, I would shoot into the right side of the 2 ball with RHE, CB to his long rail and then come and snuggle under the 3 on the foot rail. I should have a pretty good shot next inning.
I thought the 15 was in the way, in that you can hit the 2 full but not the rs of it. Ah, those pictures! If this shot is available, you will likely need some bottom, too, but I agree it's an easier shot than drawing off the 10 or 12.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I thought the 15 was in the way, in that you can hit the 2 full but not the rs of it. Ah, those pictures! If this shot is available, you will likely need some bottom, too, but I agree it's an easier shot than drawing off the 10 or 12.
if you look at the 2nd picture, it looks like you could cut the 2 all the way down the rail in the upper pocket if you wanted to, so I feel confident it will pass by the 15.

Also, yes you can jack up and use some low but I was thinking more of hitting the 2 ball more full, like 75% full,, that will allow maximum spin to take effect and spin down to the bottom rail, plus then you dont have to worry about the CB running into the 6 after it hits the long rail since you are now changing the angle coming off the 2.

That's how I am seeing the shot anyways.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I will drive the 15 ball into the 3, sending them both away. Leave Jojo on the short rail, drawing it enough to be safe - I don't want him banking the 14 or cutting the 10 ball. Firm stroke - a lot of balls on his side are in danger - but none of mine. Frammit it a bit.

That's what I would end up probably shooting, because I can usually execute that, but I'd still be concerned about him banking that 14 and using the four as a jojo stopper for po, and he would probably kiss it in off the six with my luck... werk. Glad U back...You have an unpaid bill you need to take care of...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
That's what I would end up probably shooting, because I can usually execute that, but I'd still be concerned about him banking that 14 and using the four as a jojo stopper for po, and he would probably kiss it in off the six with my luck... werk. Glad U back...You have an unpaid bill you need to take care of...
or u let him maybe cut the 10 or even possibly the 6, which were my concerns on this shot...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I like coming off the 2ball too, but if I have enough room to get the proper stroke on the CB (low right), I'd come off the 2 and kick out the 6. Now his hole is cleared, and he's left with no promising offensive shots (the 14 won't bank cross-corner).

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like coming off the 2ball too, but if I have enough room to get the proper stroke on the CB (low right), I'd come off the 2 and kick out the 6. Now his hole is cleared, and he's left with no promising offensive shots (the 14 won't bank cross-corner).
I think a possible scratch could be there off the 6, but if not, you still have a chance to let him see the 14. Even if it doesn't bank back into the hole, he can bank it back at the 3 balls on the foot rail and run into the 4 and the CB has the RHE carry it a little behind the 1 blocking you from seeing anything and have the tides turned.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
if you look at the 2nd picture, it looks like you could cut the 2 all the way down the rail in the upper pocket if you wanted to, so I feel confident it will pass by the 15.

Also, yes you can jack up and use some low but I was thinking more of hitting the 2 ball more full, like 75% full,, that will allow maximum spin to take effect and spin down to the bottom rail, plus then you dont have to worry about the CB running into the 6 after it hits the long rail since you are now changing the angle coming off the 2.

That's how I am seeing the shot anyways.
I dont know how you get back under the three without using the bottom part of the ball but I'll try it

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I dont know how you get back under the three without using the bottom part of the ball but I'll try it
Well you are coming off the bottom part of it, just not as thin where you need to jack up and use low right. Aim over more to the left where you are maybe hitting it 75% full and use heavy 3 oclock and it should get you there. I cant try it so let me know if it works...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
There is a shot here that is extremely challenging beings that the cb is fairly close to the foot rail, and that is to shoot into the 4 ball and come back into the 14 and make it in my hole. If the cb was a little farther off the rail then it is a no brainer. A good shot to know and to work on!

I like mr3c shot off the 10 and leaving cb by the 6, but I would just come off the foot rail and not contact the side rail with the cb.

In banking the 13 I would over cut it slightly to add more speed to the cb so I catch the long side rail then head cushion and come off in line with the 8 ball and the balls by my pocket. This way it protects my balls, but it does give up a tester cut on the 11. Whitey

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
I don't like too many shots here so I need to execute something I can pull off without difficulty. Thin the thirteen on its left side and put the cue ball up in the corner pocket on my side of the table. The thirteen might also block any shots at his hole directly but regardless I want him lagging his playback shot.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Well you are coming off the bottom part of it, just not as thin where you need to jack up and use low right. Aim over more to the left where you are maybe hitting it 75% full and use heavy 3 oclock and it should get you there. I cant try it so let me know if it works...
Yes Terry, you can see all of the 15ball...

And Chris, + anybody else...yes, you can execute the shot of getting behind the 3 by hitting the 2ball full and semi-following through the 2 with right english - but you don't have to employ that full hit to achieve this = you can instead, hit the 2 thin, with maximum 3 o'clock english, to easily get behind the 3 - no low hit on the cueball is necessary.

lll

Verified Member
Good advice ghost
For me i can gauge the spinal get there alittle easier than how much draw
Which way do you guys prefer

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
This looks like a good shot but exposes you to an easy bank on the ELEVEN. Or if you don't get coverage he banks your 14 to his side and blows out your 8 ball. Better to take in initiative and bank the 9 and triple him up.

As they used to say at the clubs. Good from far. Far from good.

View attachment 431581
Nick, if I execute my shot to lay up on the 6 ball, how do I leave a shot on the 11?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I think a possible scratch could be there off the 6, but if not, you still have a chance to let him see the 14. Even if it doesn't bank back into the hole, he can bank it back at the 3 balls on the foot rail and run into the 4 and the CB has the RHE carry it a little behind the 1 blocking you from seeing anything and have the tides turned.
No scratch. It doesn't have to be hit that hard. Then you'd have to hit your bank hard at a back cut angle in order for the 14 to gather the 15 or the 3 to your hole. Then the CB goes flying, and you risk selling out 4-5 balls.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tBSdcSeUj3wxUg5R7 I would not necessarily do this jump/draw shot in this scenario, it is just for fun! I got to laugh!
It is mr3c fault for putting up all those trickery 3c masse' shots, so I came up with one of my own, be it only one rail. LOL!

I hope you guys get a chuckle out of this one! Enjoy! Whitey

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I’ve seen Vilmos first hand do something similar to this against me in practice in this situation that really caught my eye:

Carom the cueball off of the right side of the 10, and either into the 6 ball to bank or kick behind it toward my hole.

That’s what I would attempt and hope to not leave a return bank on the 14 by my pocket.
Chris, we discussed this carom-kick shot here on the site about 2-3 years ago (although we had examples with the balls laying a little better for the shot than they are in this wwyd = with the first object ball sitting closer to, and more parallel, to the second object ball)...I'll see if I can find the thread, and I'll bump it back up.

Last edited: