Lettuce

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I have a very good friend who is now living in a pool room. Dying. When I first met him, he played nine ball one pocket. If there was a shot, he would shoot it. Only one ball, he shot. Even though he did not know the game, his banking and straight shooting kept me from beating him.The last time we played each other oddly enough was in a race to five nine ball. I broke and ran four games. A missed shot in the fifth game ended my shooting for the day. He ran a fiver. I told him, "I'm not playing you anymore, but I will put you in games." We would go to the Reno tournament and I would pick on the amateurs. He would play the pros. John Schmidt broke us one year. I would talk to him about his choices in One pocket and after a few years, he could beat nearly anyone in Northern California. A few years ago I had to disassociate myself from him because he would not quit drinking. He has diabetes 1 and it is killing him. We spent many times in the pool rooms. It's a sad story of what could have been different.

The reason I am posting is because I have seen what drinking can do to someone and it saddens me greatly to see this man kill himself. His health is bad and I know his head is messed up

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Bill, Sorry to hear this about Larry. Such a great player and gentleman to play with. I wonder if he ever had a squabble with any
opponent. My experience anyways. Wish him the best. Thoughts and prayers.🙏🙏🙏🥬

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
wishing your friend the best, sorry Bill but life is a double edge sword.prayers for him.

baby huey

Verified Member
Szzr: I remember well when you brought LL down to Stiix and we played nine ball. He was a gentleman then and I've never heard him not being anything else. BUT a lot of good people are gentleman and gentlewomen who have problems with drugs and alcohol and can never get their lives on tract. That's the scourge of addiction. You had to show him "tough love" but that doesn't relieve the pain. Just know that our group here has many experiences as you are going through now. ALANON

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Szzr: I remember well when you brought LL down to Stiix and we played nine ball. He was a gentleman then and I've never heard him not being anything else. BUT a lot of good people are gentleman and gentlewomen who have problems with drugs and alcohol and can never get their lives on tract. That's the scourge of addiction. You had to show him "tough love" but that doesn't relieve the pain. Just know that our group here has many experiences as you are going through now. ALANON
I know of Alanon, heard about it many times in my 31 years of AA. Part of my decision to ask him to leave was the tough love you have to learn as a sober person. It still hurt for years. I hope to see him when I go to SC next month. Although my heart wants to bring him home with us, my head says no.

beatle

Verified Member
i had a great friend who got hooked and was going downhill. so i had him grabbed and locked in a motel room for a week with no exit out. then told him it was jail if he started again, and i would put him there. he got scared enough and did quit.
we drifted apart shortly after as he lived far away from me and changed some. but it worked.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i had a great friend who got hooked and was going downhill. so i had him grabbed and locked in a motel room for a week with no exit out. then told him it was jail if he started again, and i would put him there. he got scared enough and did quit.
we drifted apart shortly after as he lived far away from me and changed some. but it worked.
tough love is tuff on who gets it but shows you care.... (y)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
For alcoholics there is no treatment that's even close to the effectiveness of AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). No treatment center or medical treatment has gotten the results that AA has. The best treatment centers refer their patients to AA either during, or at the completion of their stays. And AA is free.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
bill,

is that lettuce larry oiyler or oulyuer. he lived in the bay area or down by carmel someplace didnt he. not a real tall guy.

maybe not same guy, as you said he was a great player,, but l.l. ouyler wasnt very good from what i remember.
but he was a real nice classy guy for sure. hope he gets his act together.
Please delete any last name references please

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
For alcoholics there is no treatment that's even close to the effectiveness of AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). No treatment center or medical treatment has gotten the results that AA has. The best treatment centers refer their patients to AA either during, or at the completion of their stays. And AA is free.
A dollar a day, if you have it. Cheapest recovery ever.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I was the only one who won anything on that trip. I tried to stay quit and out of the way. Did you find my sunglasses?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
A great guy who would gamble. I could beat him in the eighties and even gave him a little weight. Bill warned me he was getting too good for me, but I did not pay attention until it cost me enough $ to change my thinking.

I am glad to see the pool family in his area is doing their best to help him.