Nothing Shots

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
When I was playing my best pool, 15 years ago, there was an old hustler in the pool room, watching intently, most days.
One day I asked him how I could improve my game, and he said , you make too many "Nothing Shots".
Meaning, they were not bad shots, but they did nothing to improve my position in the game, or to put any pressure on my opponent.
I got sick, and my game deteriorated, but I never forgot that advice.
If you want to see if you are shooting , "Nothing Shots", watch the match between Corey Duell and Alex Pagulayan on You Tube, at this years Derby City Classic.
They find something positive to do, without selling out, almost every shot.
I watched the video last night, and I went and played some today.
I found quite a few, really great shots, that I never would have seen before.
All, still within my ability, and comfort zone.
I am sure all the champions on here, know this stuff , but for the rest of you, I think this is worth watching, thinking about, and trying to incorporate into your games.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
When I was playing my best pool, 15 years ago, there was an old hustler in the pool room, watching intently, most days.
One day I asked him how I could improve my game, and he said , you make too many "Nothing Shots".
Meaning, they were not bad shots, but they did nothing to improve my position in the game, or to put any pressure on my opponent.
I got sick, and my game deteriorated, but I never forgot that advice.
If you want to see if you are shooting , "Nothing Shots", watch the match between Corey Duell and Alex Pagulayan on You Tube, at this years Derby City Classic.
They find something positive to do, without selling out, almost every shot.
I watched the video last night, and I went and played some today.
I found quite a few, really great shots, that I never would have seen before.
All, still within my ability, and comfort zone.
I am sure all the champions on here, know this stuff , but for the rest of you, I think this is worth watching, thinking about, and trying to incorporate into your games.

Heres something to improve your game and results.... when you are shooting nothing shots( meaning playing simple safes like just laying on a ball or bunting a ball) try to eliminate those scratches when you dont get a rail on a nothing shot.. We ALL do this from time to time. You lose a ball on a nothing shot.. you have to give every shot your full focus.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
billy
thanks for the post
one of the ways i judge the level of one pocket players knowledge is by seeing
how many nothing shots they shoot when a more productive shot was available
conversely
players that do more than one thing with their inning show me they have experience

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Billy, here are two paragraphs from my book "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression" that covers what you are talking about.

"Controlled aggression is not simply a strategy; it is an attitude which should be in your thoughts every time you step to the table. Your first thought should be, “How can I capitalize on this situation”? Do not confuse aggressive play with offensive play. They are not the same thing. Aggressiveness is all about exacting the most damage to your opponent’s position and creating situations that maximize your ability to win.

Though these shots are typically offensive, they can also be defensive in nature. This is what is meant by aggressive One Pocket. It would be a mistake to adopt a cavalier attitude when choosing and performing any safety. Every shot is important, and even the simplest of safeties deserve dedication to the acquisition of the maximum benefits your ability will permit."

Tom

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Heres something to improve your game and results.... when you are shooting nothing shots( meaning playing simple safes like just laying on a ball or bunting a ball) try to eliminate those scratches when you dont get a rail on a nothing shot.. We ALL do this from time to time. You lose a ball on a nothing shot.. you have to give every shot your full focus.

This was advice given to me long ago with a slightly different flavor. I would wonder why I would drop outta stroke after a defensive bunt war and a good player told me that I needed to watch my mechanics and focus even on simple bunts. Essentially, you let both your laser focus and your mechanics go and it becomes a tad tough to deliver once your man screws up and you get the "bugle call."

As I always say, one pocket is tough because you have to bring BOTH the brain (shot selection and strategy) as well as the body (execution and mechanics.) Once you select the shot, the brain should shut off and just focus on the shot. If you are thinking while you are down on the ball, you have sapped some of the focus required to execute the shot.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

Thanks!
I actually learned not to do this many years ago.
Then I had some help from another great player who suggested I try to predict the final resting place of at least the main object ball and the cueball every time I was playing safe.
This does 3 things, it keeps your ball speed in sync all the time, so that when you do get a shot, you don't come up way short or way long, and if you do this, you should almost never foul because of a poor attempt.
Also , many times you can knock a ball into a "good zone " for you, like above the side pocket on your long rail, so that in case they scratch you will have a great shot to get started, and it limits their banks off the head rail with pocket speed.
I am often amazed at how many really good players, don't even attempt to freeze the cueball to a rail, when they play a safety.
I agree, that you can't do it every time, and on some really touchy shots , it is more important to perform the shot correctly, than to add another factor and make a mistake because of it.
I doubt that anyone here, doesn't agree, that having your opponent frozen to the rail every time you can, is a huge advantage, over someone who doesn't.
As before, I know that this is old news to most of you, just trying to help some of the people who may be just learning one pocket.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Billy, here are two paragraphs from my book "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression" that covers what you are talking about.

"Controlled aggression is not simply a strategy; it is an attitude which should be in your thoughts every time you step to the table. Your first thought should be, “How can I capitalize on this situation”? Do not confuse aggressive play with offensive play. They are not the same thing. Aggressiveness is all about exacting the most damage to your opponent’s position and creating situations that maximize your ability to win.

Though these shots are typically offensive, they can also be defensive in nature. This is what is meant by aggressive One Pocket. It would be a mistake to adopt a cavalier attitude when choosing and performing any safety. Every shot is important, and even the simplest of safeties deserve dedication to the acquisition of the maximum benefits your ability will permit."

Tom
Thanks Tom, I haven't gotten your book yet but as soon as I can get out, it will be in my library.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Depends on the game as to how important the nothing shots are. Against a strong opponent you would prefer to make more happen with your shot and try to accomplish multiple things. If you don't then he will quickly see that and would not be afraid to leave you in certain situations.

Against a weaker player the nothing shots may be the best because of less risk. Against this type of player you simply wait for their mistakes. But true that in these nothing shots you still need to perform them as cleanly as you can.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
... you have to give every shot your full focus.

This is huge. My biggest problem is that once I decide to just do something simple to get out of the inning, I do not give the shot my full attention and many times sell out a bank or something for no reason other than carelessness.

I need to do better on the the simple shots, whether or not they are a "nothing shot".

Dave