Playing golf?

unoperro

Verified Member
Anybody play where your ball doesnt come off when you hickey?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Anybody play where your ball doesnt come off when you hickey?

I have played that way, don’t like it. Years ago they had a game in Southgate CA where they would get 8/10 players for $1/.25 and the balls never came off and you could shoot your mans ball out of every hole but the out hole for a hickey. The games took hours and there were tons of hickeys.

I got stuck double once to the tune of $36.:D

unoperro

Verified Member
I have played that way, don’t like it. Years ago they had a game in Southgate CA where they would get 8/10 players for $1/.25 and the balls never came off and you could shoot your mans ball out of every hole but the out hole for a hickey. The games took hours and there were tons of hickeys.

I got stuck double once to the tune of $36.:D

There arent 8 people in the world I could play that game with:sorry

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
There arent 8 people in the world I could play that game with:sorry

I was in my early twenties at the time and would play anything. This pool room was near my job so I only tried the game a few times. There also was snooker, payball and nine ball action there. The golf game was good for the room owner.

My regular golf game at that time was at San Gabriel Lanes in their pool room. They had soft 5 x 10 snooker tables with decent rules for golf and quite a few good players. If you could not go five and out from the two hole once and a while on those tables you took the worst of it.

In the late sixties I started playing on the tight 6 x 12 in Bellflower called ‘Big Bertha’. I like golf on any table, but my preference is on a 6 x 12. I still play when I can at CA Billiards, but it is 140 miles away and I don’t get down there often.

In the early 80’s I was recently divorced and took a long pool trip around the Western US, mostly playing golf with some goofy rules from time to time. Denver, Co had the best golf action at Family Fun Center and Colfax Billiards. It was a great trip that I remember fondly since I made friends almost everywhere I played. Golf was popular then and a great game to gamble at if you could play it well. You usually got stuck at first learning the equipment and the rules, and by the time you got them down and a line on the players, the bet was up.

It did not always work, but did most of the time. I lost $750 to the dogcatcher in Alb., New Mexico, but that is another story.:D

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
I have never played where it stays or is a option? That option seems like it might not be fair to other players?

Luckily those of us who play are all friends & our normal game is 4-6 handed playing partners. We've played where it always comes off, but it usually benefited the person committing the foul multiple times per game. It's rather nice to see someone still stuck on a rail well away from their hole and having to fight it out again rather than get a "free" (only quarter hickies) trip back to the spot. You'll never see someone blatantly fire the cue ball at someone else's ball to take it out - it has to be a legitimate attempt to hit your own ball & play a traditional takeout.

John