Pool Know It Alls

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Is your pool room full of guys who have been there every day for 40 years or some place just like it?
They sit around all day, waiting on a weaker player to come in, to win 10 dollars off of.
They knock every body in the room , knock any action that might be about to happen, and know all the ins and outs of the road , even though they have never left town for more than 3 hours, in the last 50 years.
They have never been beaten by anybody unless they were setting them up.
If you need some of these guys , my pool room has an overload, there are 20 of them there almost any given day and they have all told the same stories for 40 years and I am tired of them , please send a few of yours to us ,and we will ship some of ours to you , at least you can hear a couple of new flabbergasters to chuckle at.
Who knows maybe they will get off their feet at your place and lose 20 bucks and sit down and sulk for a year or two, like they do here.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Is your pool room full of guys who have been there every day for 40 years or some place just like it?
They sit around all day, waiting on a weaker player to come in, to win 10 dollars off of.
They knock every body in the room , knock any action that might be about to happen, and know all the ins and outs of the road , even though they have never left town for more than 3 hours, in the last 50 years.
If you need some of these guys , my pool room has an overload, there are 20 of them there almost any given day and they have all told the same stories for 40 years and I am tired of them , please send a few of yours to us ,and we will ship some of ours to you , at least you can hear a couple of new flabbergasters to chuckle at.
Who knows maybe they will get off their feet at your place and lose 20 bucks and sit down and sulk for a year or two, like they do here.

Your PR isn't unique! Any room that has regs over 60, will have similar MO's

But, guys that went around, 'under the radar' there entire life, will eventually, when age catches up to them, will pull the covers off themselves out of just being bored! ;)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Pool Know It Alls

Amen!!! Lol. Let’s not forget that although they have spent a majority of their life in the pool room as a knocker, they will still carry on, tell, eat potato chips, and generally have zero awareness or courtesy if people are gambling two feet from them. Like it’s there first time. Lol

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Amen!!! Lol. Let’s not forget that although they have spent a majority of their life in the pool room as a knocker, they will still carry on, tell, eat potato chips, and generally have zero awareness or courtesy if people are gambling two feet from them. Like it’s there first time. Lol

We always called em ''pool detectives''.

beatle

Verified Member
a full pool room brings in more people as many come in for the social aspect.

who goes in to a pool room with two tables going and no spectators.

the players paying time dont pay the tab for a business to survive as been seen all over the country.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
And are no better off than they were 40years ago. They never understood the best hustle is a full time job with a pay check!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
It's the same shit in every game and every profession...Even in churches... At least you can say what you want, for the most part, in a pool room.. Not so at universities anymore.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
They come in early "what happened last nite" charlie gave vic the last two safe and lost.
Well of course, he had no chance I could've told you that.
Actually Charlie won.
Yeah I knew you were kidding," Charlie had the nuts"

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Knockers

Knockers

Five Points Bowl, El Monte, CA 1960’s through 1970’s

Lots of action with players from all over the country coming through. With lots of action, you get lots of knockers.

I think it was John ‘Popcorn’ Miller who said ‘Our knockers are so good they take road trips”.

Two of the best were Mike, the Filipino (AKA Dado), and Chuck ‘The Velvet Hammer’ Sherman. If you were nutted up and Chuck was not in with the other guy, all you had to do was look at Chuck and he would make an awful face. Then you knew you better pull up.:D

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Lots of action with players from all over the country coming through. With lots of action, you get lots of knockers.

I think it was John ‘Popcorn’ Miller who said ‘Our knockers are so good they take road trips”.

Two of the best were Mike, the Filipino (AKA Dado), and Chuck ‘The Velvet Hammer’ Sherman. If you were nutted up and Chuck was not in with the other guy, all you had to do was look at Chuck and he would make an awful face. Then you knew you better pull up.:D

When I get nutted up, I double the bet.:frus

Mike

Verified Member
LOL! We always called them "triple smarts"! They knocked everyone and knew everything about everything! 😨😨😨😨

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Early 70's Gradys

Early 70's Gradys

When Grady first opened his pool room, on the corner of E. Platte Ave. (hwy 24) and Union Blvd., the town of Colorado Springs had no knockers, and the group of players always banded together when a roadie came thru, we all talked about getting in his wallet. It was very common (to go busted) and common to stay once the ''beat down'' made you stay and make new friends, some times a couple years. We all knew having one more player in town, we could learn and win a little more, a food chain thing. It wasn't till the 80's....those X wanna be league players who had difficulty with the common ''beat down'' turned on the players, and worked the other side of life, many never even bet, just wanted tah hear their own lips moving.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a month!..:D:lol

~Doc

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
They come in early "what happened last nite" charlie gave vic the last two safe and lost.
Well of course, he had no chance I could've told you that.
Actually Charlie won.
Yeah I knew you were kidding," Charlie had the nuts"

You have been here !
The best one for me was early 70s, Howard Vickery was living here and in the pool room every day , we had made money together a couple of times at spots I took him to and he was my backer.
Then after I beat them ,they would always tell him , lets me and you play , do you have any guts on your own.
Right into a bigger trap they went.
Anyway , he never ever gave me an office when I was playing someone I had no chance against.
One day he walks in, and I am killing this guy from Cleveland for 10 a game nine ball , I am up about 170 and he's getting ready to quit.
Howard gives me the pass sign and I went over and whispered, I am up 17 games , It got to me in the head so bad ,I don't think I won another game .

beatle

Verified Member
h.v. was a small bettor and wouldnt bet the sun would come up until he saw it first. he went to jail for being a creep. i think he is out now and hope he reformed and can live in society.
and how can someone giving you a signal make you not win any more games.
you have to play and shut out things in pool.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
When they came and asked "do you know who you're playing" I always said, do me a favor go ask that guy if he knows who he's playing ? :)

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member

But let them be playing for a little something and you ruffle the ruffles. All hell breaks loose.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Pool Know It Alls

True story... same guy will be the first to tell everyone that player X can never win whatever game he’s playing.... but when he does... all of the sudden everyone has to hear about how he’s “Stealing”. SMH

I had a sweater who was watching a match I was playing (he was not betting) stop us before the break in a new game and say.. “I just want to let you guys know this is gonna be my last game”. Now that was funny 😂

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
We have an old guy who has something to say after every shot, will cackle or grunt when you do something bad, and just can’t stay quiet. He never says anything when you are shooting, but you can count on a remark when you do something he doesn’t approve of. He plays a little himself and knows the game and as a single man in his eighties, the pool room is a huge part of his life.

In the past, I have yelled at him to STF up and told him I would ask management to keep him out of the back room. When I yelled at him (More than once) I always went over and apologized later, because we both knew I was really mad at myself. I know he is usually rooting for me, but just can’t help himself.

He is a likeable nosy member of our family who just has something to say about everything and everybody. I have accepted who and what he is, and I now have fun with him instead of letting him get under my skin.