Sharing a couple of old PM's

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Here's one from Beard, re Eddie Taylor and Jimmy Moore

oldspurguy said:
Hi Fred,
Glad you are back. Your site is great. I was listening to the vids on Jimmy Moore and was very surprised to hear him describe Eddie Taylor as less than a top player. Just wondered what your take is on this?
If you listen to him carefully, you would notice that he is mainly talking about Eddie Taylor's straight pool prowess. Moore was right about that. Eddie was well under the top straight pool players. That was probably the only game that they could beat him at, however. I was a little surprised when Moore said he banked with Taylor and only came behind a few games. I have a hunch that that was the only time that Moore played him bumps.

Beard

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
And one from SJD re Ronnie Allen's audio about playing Dick
oldspurguy said:
Here's a link. There's one about the fist time he played you, after you beat Richie F. (story number 3, I think).

http://www.tropicanabowlingalley.com/ronnie.html
Thanks Oldspurguy.

I have heard this recording many times, and its always good for a chuckle. RA is a hell of a good storyteller, but he never lets facts get in the way.

In 1961, I didn't even try to play one pocket. I broke Richie playing 9 ball, and when he came back from SF (with Richie) I broke them again, playing Ronnie Golf on a snooker table. I gave them money to get back to LA.

Ronnie came back with a stake horse, a few mos. later, and he did beat me pretty good, giving me a couple balls playing 1P.
We played a lot in the 60's, and I basically learned to play 1P from him (the hard way at times) But he was a good teacher,...he eventually got to where he couldn't win giving me a ball. Lots of see-saw battles in the following years.

I became better friends with Richie, over the years, but the three of us had many good battles, and partied up a storm every time we got together. We all liked to drink, and chase the girls.

Thanks for the re-run down memory lane.

Dick

atmeddy

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
And one from SJD re Ronnie Allen's audio about playing Dick

Thanks Oldspurguy.

I have heard this recording many times, and its always good for a chuckle. RA is a hell of a good storyteller, but he never lets facts get in the way.

In 1961, I didn't even try to play one pocket. I broke Richie playing 9 ball, and when he came back from SF (with Richie) I broke them again, playing Ronnie Golf on a snooker table. I gave them money to get back to LA.

Ronnie came back with a stake horse, a few mos. later, and he did beat me pretty good, giving me a couple balls playing 1P.
We played a lot in the 60's, and I basically learned to play 1P from him (the hard way at times) But he was a good teacher,...he eventually got to where he couldn't win giving me a ball. Lots of see-saw battles in the following years.

I became better friends with Richie, over the years, but the three of us had many good battles, and partied up a storm every time we got together. We all liked to drink, and chase the girls.

Thanks for the re-run down memory lane.

Dick

Thanks for sharing!