the end of my home room

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Weirdly a new pool hall open literally around the corner from my house, in Chicago. I wasn’t ready to shoot with strangers when they opened earlier this summer due to the covid. I would just stand outside looking at those brand new diamonds. We will have fun but not till 2021👍🎱

The same owner that took over, 'Marie's Golden Cue', made it into, Coffee bar/pool room, 'Surge'. The new room you refer to is, 'Surge ll'.

BTW, In the 40 years that, 'Chris's Billiards' has been open, the 4 owners never owned the building! At one time in the mid 90's - mid 2000's, without any alcohol, for a stretch of 4-5 years grossed a little over 1 million dollars a year, with just 55 tables!

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Don't kid yourself guys, in Cali it will be hard financially to withstand this long lockdown. Most of the other states allowed rooms to open more regularliy regardless of infection rate. I am not passing judgement on any other state but in Cali we've been closed and the infection rate is climbing signficantly whether we were open or not. Months of unpaid rent, spoiling food, beer purchases which can't be returned and other permits, licenses and other costs to STAY CLOSED will take its toll. IMO big time pool is dead on the west coast. Only memories will exist.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Don't kid yourself guys, in Cali it will be hard financially to withstand this long lockdown. Most of the other states allowed rooms to open more regularliy regardless of infection rate. I am not passing judgement on any other state but in Cali we've been closed and the infection rate is climbing signficantly whether we were open or not. Months of unpaid rent, spoiling food, beer purchases which can't be returned and other permits, licenses and other costs to STAY CLOSED will take its toll. IMO big time pool is dead on the west coast. Only memories will exist.

What does that tell you Jerry? BIG changes have to be made in Cali government, from top to bottom, for the people to survive and prosper again.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Don't know about recent years, but Chris used to live in Santa Barbara. He played all over central Calif. and Reno.
Henderson would know.

He has lived up by Clear Lake for quite a while now. He was coming down to Hard Times for the tournaments once and a while.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I love California and I don’t love the Pandemic. It’s is a really tough decision and I would not be the one who has to make it. Health, money. Money, health. Business open to the Pandemic? Larry wants to play,. Couple of sets? Bob is his banker. Is there a safe place to stay? At least you could pay your bills for a month. Make a game.
Good luck to you and hope to see you soon after the fourth wave has died.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
He has lived up by Clear Lake for quite a while now. He was coming down to Hard Times for the tournaments once and a while.
Lake Point has a nice little pool room. What a location for a pool room!!!!!!! Right by a huge California tourist attraction. I would have to get out my bell bottoms and tattered shirts, hahahahahah Where are my hay seeds??

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
First I've heard the Broken Rack is closing. Chris M played tourneys there but it was never his home room. Played for a very long time in the Santa Rosa area but not so much lately...

The last real pool room north of SF and the Oakland/Berkeley area is Buffalo Billiards in Petaluma. Lee Simon did own a Buffalo Billiards in Cotati, sold it, and eventually re-opened a nice room in Petaluma with the same name. Closed for play currently, but the retail room is still open and they do the vast majority of table work in the area.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
The Broken Rack in Emeryville, CA is going to reopen. I went by and saw that the northern end of the building (by the parking lot) has been changed into yet another pot store. That is about half of the area of the old room. They seem to have kept the Diamonds and the carom table. I couldn't see whether the snooker table was still there. They are not open yet.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
the owners of the pot store have purchased the building last I saw was they where planning to open june 15th all willing.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Bob, were both of the Diamonds still in there? I peeked in a few weeks ago and could only see one of them...but the billiard table was still set up! Not sure why they would keep it because it won't pay the rent, but I hope it stays.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
Bob, were both of the Diamonds still in there? I peeked in a few weeks ago and could only see one of them...but the billiard table was still set up! Not sure why they would keep it because it won't pay the rent, but I hope it stays.
I could only see one Diamond from the window but I optimistically assumed the other one was kept, perhaps back where I couldn't see it. It would be an outrage if they got rid of it considering what the other tables are like.