Vapros I had to chuckle

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
When in your last journal you said
“baton rouge is a jumping town as is New Orleans one of our suburbs”
having lived in New Orleans during my college days I had to chuckle at that.... (y)
keep up your journals
i enjoy reading them and your perspective on life
stay safe bill
larry

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Good to hear from you, Larry, and good to hear that you are a reader of the journal. And it's even better to find that I have entertained you. As a temporary Yat you no doubt knew the Sports Palace and Pickles' room, too. I recall bowling several times at a small establishment in that neighborhood, on the second floor - can't remember the name of the place - the proprietor was a guy named Vernon something. Haynes, maybe? You might have known Vernon, Jr. Thanks for the note. Celebrate safely this weekend. Try not to offend anyone . . . 🤫 Be well.

Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Good to hear from you, Larry, and good to hear that you are a reader of the journal. And it's even better to find that I have entertained you. As a temporary Yat you no doubt knew the Sports Palace and Pickles' room, too. I recall bowling several times at a small establishment in that neighborhood, on the second floor - can't remember the name of the place - the proprietor was a guy named Vernon something. Haynes, maybe? You might have known Vernon, Jr. Thanks for the note. Celebrate safely this weekend. Try not to offend anyone . . . 🤫 Be well.

Bill
By the time I moved to the Dixie Riviera in 2000 the Sports Palace had become a dump full of lowlifes. I wish I'd seen it during its heyday with Heisler & Co. Pickles was a place only to be found in New Orleans: crowded, loud, and with too many tables jammed into a small place: continuous party. Yet they had a balcony with occasional live music! I used to go over there on Saturdays for their 9 ball tournaments. Since Jamie's "Corner Pocket" was the only other room in town then, the little tournaments used to draw all the good players. "Pickles" --himself a wild character-- may still be around, although his establishment went belly up.