S. Cook vs. J. Goodwin 1996 U.S. Open

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I'm considering the attached options. I like option 2 best, but although option 3 presents the most risk for sell out, if I am cutting good that day then I would shoot at it considering that the best time to take a risk if one is inclined to do so is at the beginning of the game.

Attachments

• Options.jpg
    Options.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Having seen Steve play before, I'd bet he's cutting it in, diagram #3. And the pocket size looks to be 5''. Steve was one of the early nine ballers that could cut the hair off a ball. Cole Dickson also.

senor

Verified Member
Hola Dennis...

I'd bank the 7 into the 8 and send the CB two/three rails uptable.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Goodwin just broke and it's Cook's shot. What would you do?

a lot of the younger guys think Cook was a mover (or insurance salesman.) He could cerainly move, but he was a strong shot-maker also. If the 6 is makable at all, he's shootin' it.

I hate my shot, but I'd have to play the 1-2 combo, stick and hope.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I played Steve much later in his career and got some valuable lessons at $10 a game :)

I am with john on this one - I would shoot the 1-2 and stick on the 4, he would probably cut the 6.

senor

Verified Member
Good Eye Senor, where ya been ?

Lurking. Everyone here is getting too good at these WWYDs, I usually have nothing to add. And I like Dennis's WWYDs, he usually posts a shot situation where I can let my stroke out a little, whereas the OPG posts the nip and tuck shots :rolleyes:

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
The first two pics didn't give me much to look at. I stared at the 3rd pic for 5 minutes before deciding on my shot. I would shoot the 3 ball to kick the 8 ball away from his pocket. There is a natural shape line for the cue ball to go up table on Cook's side.
I wish there was a pic from behind the cue ball. Just can't see all the shooting lanes from these pics.....

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
I'm considering the attached options. I like option 2 best, but although option 3 presents the most risk for sell out, if I am cutting good that day then I would shoot at it considering that the best time to take a risk if one is inclined to do so is at the beginning of the game.

Hi Disco,

On option 3 that 6 ball has to travel about 16 inches, there is no way the cue ball is going to stop where you have it diagrammed. It would have to travel well passed mid table.....JMHO

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The first two pics didn't give me much to look at. I stared at the 3rd pic for 5 minutes before deciding on my shot. I would shoot the 3 ball to kick the 8 ball away from his pocket. There is a natural shape line for the cue ball to go up table on Cook's side.
I wish there was a pic from behind the cue ball. Just can't see all the shooting lanes from these pics.....

Yep, that 1996 technology has sure come a long way. I often get overheads, side shots and several different views nowadays.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
What about force following through the 7, hoping to take out all three balls with emphasis on trying to follow under the 8 if the 15 misses it.

Cook shot an ugly version of this and almost got away with it until the stripe came back downtable. He force-followed the cueball and it actually hit the 3 as it sat in the pocket after hitting the 8. The cueball hit the 3 and the 8 and went to it's final spot. Hard to believe that no other balls were disturbed.

The cueball knocked the 3 in the pocket.

P.S. Cook did not shoot this shot lightly. He looked the table over and examined every possible shot mentioned here for over 4 1/2 minutes.

sc shot.jpg

He left it here for Goodwin. He ran two balls:eek:.

sc leave.jpg

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Hi Disco,

On option 3 that 6 ball has to travel about 16 inches, there is no way the cue ball is going to stop where you have it diagrammed. It would have to travel well passed mid table.....JMHO

T9, I agree, I wasn't sure where the qb would stop on that thin slice so I just put it somewhere along the path I thought it would take. Important idea there was to pocket the 6. Hopefully the qb will end up in a location to take out the 8.