Winning One pocket Eddie Robin First or Second edition

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
you are misunderstanding my position--again, i just dont see any mind blowing contributions to the wwyds from people that have read this book--aside from efren and shannon, frost and joyner, theres not a lot of creative ideas floating around ......hence my questions...... again, not trying to be a smartass, im here to learn and share......btw, i do plan on looking thru the books to decide for myself--if the info is as good as some people say,then i'll buy one.......

PB,

If you would just ask a cogent question maybe you'd get better answers. I don't know exactly what you are asking. Get to the point already.

The reason you don't see mind-blowing contributions from people that have read this book is that Eddie Robin owns the copyright to this book and, generally speaking, we aren't supposed to post layouts attributed to WOP here. If we did and didn't credit it to WOP you wouldn't know it came from WOP anyway.

What do you expect to see? Many of the shots & layouts in WOP and SM&S come from gambling situations where a player has more leeway to shoot an outrageous shot to run out. If he loses he can always play another. In tournament play, racing to 3 usually, that leeway is not there so you don't see as many fantastic shots and outs. Not only that but these things don't exactly happen everyday, they were collected over years and from the memories of players also.

I hope I answered at least 1 or 2 of your questions for you.

P.S. Did you read post #12?

Dennis

cuesmith

Verified Member
Is this original enough for you? Jack Breit ran 4 & out playing Ronnie Allen from this position. Maybe you can figure out how he did it:).

View attachment 9053

My guess is that he shot the 10 ball 2 rails to his pocket stopping the CB. Then shot the 4 into his hole drawing the CB back into the 9 ball making it in the side pocket. Then he banks the 11 ball up table to his pocket where he spots the 9 from the side pocket and shoots it into his pocket. Am I close?
Sherm

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John,

I'm not running a WWYD thread here but how in the heck would you make the 9 after the 4?:confused: If you two-railed the 10, made the 4 and drew back to make the 9 in the side it wouldn't spot up until you made the 11.

Dennis

I am one railing the ten and knocking the 9 downtable for some kind of shot after the four.

I am interested in what he really did.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
My guess is that he shot the 10 ball 2 rails to his pocket stopping the CB. Then shot the 4 into his hole drawing the CB back into the 9 ball making it in the side pocket. Then he banks the 11 ball up table to his pocket where he spots the 9 from the side pocket and shoots it into his pocket. Am I close?
Sherm

About as close as Alpha Centauri:):D:p.

RBL

piggybank04

Verified Member
finally got a hold of the books--not bad--most of whats in there i knew--wouldnt waste the money on them.......main value to me is in its scarcity.......

Texdance

I think Eddie Robin wanted very much to publish books of good craft showing how the best players up to that time played one pocket in the real world of tough and meaningful competition. The sport at that time had both the solid clever safety players working up extraordinary traps, and the go-for-it Ronnie Allen power-one-pocket style players knocking balls toward their hole, taking risks, and using their shotmaking skills to get out from nowhere.

ER's tough analytical side maybe expected too much of his audience in terms of how much time and effort they would spend on his books. Some case studies can be difficult for the uninitiated, and some examples too easy for those with wide experience.

But he included many interesting sidebars, alternate shots, and stories and criticisms of and by famous players. If the technology of the time had permitted, I've no doubt he would have included companion DVDs - with matches and interviews and shot demonstrations and lessons. These books are a sort of Q&A instructional video before DVDs were available, in paper book format, with enough effective criticism to keep the book honest, and sidebars and stories to retain interest and enhance the content for most pool players. But they are a form of textbook with all the study time that entails.

As to which is more valuable, the early uncorrected version, the uncorrected version with errata sheets, or the revised second edition, I would go with the second edition. If ever they become pure high-dollar collectibles that could change since I think one version is more scarce than the other.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Good Morning Everyone. For Winning One pocket Eddie Robin, is the First edition more valuable than the Second edition?

You always want the original, the 1st edition, mistakes and all.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This may have been said before, but the second edition of Winning One Pocket had a lot of revisions -- not just the correction of all the print format errors that messed up the fractions, etc. The second edition has almost a whole extra chapter of writing too. For years I had only the first edition (with errata sheets). My first edition is not so valuable anyway because my dog when still a pup was apparently missing me one day and did a little chewing on the edges of that book only. No doubt she could tell I had handled the book a great deal, so it was as close to me as she could get, lol.

So for investment value the first edition in great condition would be better but the second edition is definitely a better education value.

piggybank04

Verified Member
ok smartass---im in toledo, when u want to match up........no more talk--just me taking your money.......

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
ok smartass---im in toledo, when u want to match up........no more talk--just me taking your money.......

On the off-chance that you might be responding to me , let me tell you a story about the last fellow from Toledo that I gambled with.

I was probably 37 or 38 (I'm 55 now) and he was in his early to mid 20's. He played a good game of One Pocket and he had a heart as big as a watermelon. I gave him 10-8 for $30 per game. To make a long story short, we went back & forth for a few hours and I was up 1 game.

Then came disaster. He needed 1 ball and I needed 10. He made a slight error and left me something to fire at. I ran the 8 balls on the table including uptable balls and a couple of banks, spotted up the two for the 10-8 and I banked the back ball cross-corner and then cut in the ball on the spot.

He took $30 out of his pocket and handed it to me. Then he took his cue apart. I asked him what he was doing. He said he was quitting. I asked why, I told him I was only up two games after a little more than 3 hours or so and that was no reason to quit. Then he told me.

He said "I'm from Toledo and I play Steve McAninch One Pocket all the time. Steve gives me 10-8 just like you are and I've never seen Steve even come close to doing what you just did".

I almost told him that was the first time I had ever done that in my life (truth) but the fact is his heart was broken and he just couldn't play me anymore. I said no more.

So the point is this; I ain't going nowhere to play anyone from an area where guys lose two games and quit, I can get all I need of that type action here. It's too bad too because Toledo is within my driving range but I suppose Detroit is within yours if you want to come scare me. Only thing is PB04, you ain't gonna get the job done talking about it. Be forewarned, I ain't ever playing anyone for less than $100 a game, not like you're coming anyway and I wouldn't know you if you did.

Keep enjoying your fantasy life Mr. Poolplayer.

P.S. Tell Steve I said hello, he's a nice guy and a good guy and one of the rare ones I've never heard anything bad about. Of course, you probably aren't in Toledo, are you?

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
On the off-chance that you might be responding to me , let me tell you a story about the last fellow from Toledo that I gambled with.

I was probably 37 or 38 (I'm 55 now) and he was in his early to mid 20's. He played a good game of One Pocket and he had a heart as big as a watermelon. I gave him 10-8 for $30 per game. To make a long story short, we went back & forth for a few hours and I was up 1 game.

Then came disaster. He needed 1 ball and I needed 10. He made a slight error and left me something to fire at. I ran the 8 balls on the table including uptable balls and a couple of banks, spotted up the two for the 10-8 and I banked the back ball cross-corner and then cut in the ball on the spot.

He took $30 out of his pocket and handed it to me. Then he took his cue apart. I asked him what he was doing. He said he was quitting. I asked why, I told him I was only up two games after a little more than 3 hours or so and that was no reason to quit. Then he told me.

He said "I'm from Toledo and I play Steve McAninch One Pocket all the time. Steve gives me 10-8 just like you are and I've never seen Steve even come close to doing what you just did".

I almost told him that was the first time I had ever done that in my life (truth) but the fact is his heart was broken and he just couldn't play me anymore. I said no more.

So the point is this; I ain't going nowhere to play anyone from an area where guys lose two games and quit, I can get all I need of that type action here. It's too bad too because Toledo is within my driving range but I suppose Detroit is within yours if you want to come scare me. Only thing is PB04, you ain't gonna get the job done talking about it. Be forewarned, I ain't ever playing anyone for less than $100 a game, not like you're coming anyway and I wouldn't know you if you did.

Keep enjoying your fantasy life Mr. Poolplayer.

P.S. Tell Steve I said hello, he's a nice guy and a good guy and one of the rare ones I've never heard anything bad about. Of course, you probably aren't in Toledo, are you?

Dennis
That's a good story, if true why would you ask me for 9/7? I cant beat Steve M. Not that I would go to Detroit to play for $100 a game anyways (or $200) Just curious, that's all.

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You question the truthfulness of what I wrote and yet expect a civil response?
Dennis, i'm not questioning the truthfulness of your story at all, i'm making a valid point. If I were questioning the truthfulness of your story I would say that, which I didn't, did I?

That's a good story, if true why would you ask me for 9/7? I cant beat Steve M. Not that I would go to Detroit to play for $100 a game anyways (or $200) Just curious, that's all.

Bill Incardona

Where did I say that I didn't believe you? But what I did say is that if you played that good then why would you ask me for 9/7 ? Now if you can't explain why you would want 9/7 from a 70 year old player I can understand that, which to me is hard to explain coming from a player that has the capability to perform as well as you say you did. I hope that I made myself clearer.:sorry

Bill Incardona

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan