Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Verified Member

Default Getting home table re-clothed

I have a 9 foot diamond with "stock" pockets.
I am going to get it recovered.
Would you recommend going to the 4 1/8th pockets for someone that only plays one pocket or is it good to have pockets to shoot in?
Table is rarely used in general, but wwyd?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
Would you recommend going to the 4 1/8th pockets for someone that only plays one pocket or is it good to have pockets to shoot in?
If it were mine, I like standard, same as the derby uses but that's just me!
Old 10-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Verified Member

For what it's worth, I keep my GC pockets stock because I don't practice very often and use the table for entertaining from time to time. I don't want to torture our guests. LOL. However, I do have some pocket reducers just in case.

However, if you plan on matching up often with tough players at your home, screw the guests tighten the pockets. Hahaha
Old 10-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Verified Member

Fats my home table is 4 1/4 and I think that is a good compromise leaning towards tighter, but no too tight. You can comfortably play/practice other games, rotation, 14.1, banks etc...

That said, I play regularly on a 4 1/8 and it is perfect for 1P but not much else IMO.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12squared View Post
For what it's worth, I keep my GC pockets stock because I don't practice very often and use the table for entertaining from time to time. I don't want to torture our guests. LOL. However, I do have some pocket reducers just in case.

However, if you plan on matching up often with tough players at your home, screw the guests tighten the pockets. Hahaha
What kind of reducers do you have and do you feel they are good enough to use for gambling or just practice?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post
Fats my home table is 4 1/4 and I think that is a good compromise leaning towards tighter, but no too tight. You can comfortably play/practice other games, rotation, 14.1, banks etc...

That said, I play regularly on a 4 1/8 and it is perfect for 1P but not much else IMO.
We know you can shoot a rocket through a key hole....
Old 10-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
We know you can shoot a rocket through a key hole....
Some days I can split hairs, other days well, not so much. Just like every other amateur.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
glad you asked this, been wondering the same thing myself - gonna tear my table down after DCC to get new carpet installed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post

ben, did you purchase the rails from diamond like this or have the stock rails shimmed at the pocket facings at some point?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
glad you asked this, been wondering the same thing myself - gonna tear my table down after DCC to get new carpet installed....

ben, did you purchase the rails from diamond like this or have the stock rails shimmed at the pocket facings at some point?
Dustin I had Diamond extend the rails.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Verified Member

if you have standard pockets its a lot more fun to play on. that is part of having a home table. plus with too tight pockets you cant use pocket play for position. and in many games getting position by cheating pockets is most important.

if all you want to do is improve ball making then maybe it pays to make them super tight. but even with wide pockets you can still shoot the ball into the center of the pocket.