Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Verified Member

Default Opponent Racking vs. Racking Your Own

Currently we are once again having a thread on racking your own and what to do if a ball is scored. This re-occurring subject is spurned by the fact the standard rule of opponent racking is now giving way to racking your own.
So therefore, not being knowledgeable about racking OP, I would like to know the ends and outs of opponent racking vs. racking your own. I'd like to know the technical stuff, like if I leave this ball loose then what happens and so forth, the stuff that is driving us away from opponent racking.

We know one down side of racking your own and that is making a ball on the break. Is there away to tweak the rack to have a better chance of making a scored ball?

The obvious down side of opponent racking is getting a poor break or selling out. But what constitutes this happening, can a rack be tweak to cause this or is it a poor break by the breaker? The rack can be inspected, so what is the most important issue to be aware of?

In breaking 9-ball I knew how to a make three different balls within the rack when a certain ball was left loose, that is why racking your own is a bad idea in 9-ball, but does this technical stuff also apply to OP racks?

I'll let you knowledgeable members take it from here! Maybe there are well keep secrets involving one of the most important shots in OP, the break! thanks, Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 08-19-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
Currently we are once again having a thread on racking your own and what to do if a ball is scored. This re-occurring subject is spurned by the fact the standard rule of opponent racking is now giving way to racking your own.
So therefore, not being knowledgeable about racking OP, I would like to know the ends and outs of opponent racking vs. racking your own. I'd like to know the technical stuff, like if I leave this ball loose then what happens and so forth, the stuff that is driving us away from opponent racking.

We know one down side of racking your own and that is making a ball on the break. Is there away to tweak the rack to have a better chance of making a scored ball?

The obvious down side of opponent racking is getting a poor break or selling out. But what constitutes this happening, can a rack be tweak to cause this or is it a poor break by the breaker? The rack can be inspected, so what is the most important issue to be aware of?

In breaking 9-ball I knew how to a make three different balls within the rack when a certain ball was left loose, that is why racking your own is a bad idea in 9-ball, but does this technical stuff also apply to OP racks?

I'll let you knowledgeable members take it from here! Maybe there are well keep secrets involving one of the most important shots in OP, the break! thanks, Whitey

I know what you mean, Whitey.. ImO I think nine ball should now be considered defunct and it should all be 10 Ball,,, No more of the nine ball racking manipulations, no more arguing whether the nine should be on the spot or the one ball on the spot, no more situations where the same corner ball is flying in 9 times out of 10, no more shitting balls in.. Just go to 10 ball and be done with it..
Old 08-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
I know what you mean, Whitey.. ImO I think nine ball should now be considered defunct and it should all be 10 Ball,,, No more of the nine ball racking manipulations, no more arguing whether the nine should be on the spot or the one ball on the spot, no more situations where the same corner ball is flying in 9 times out of 10, no more shitting balls in.. Just go to 10 ball and be done with it..
Yes, Jimmy! But I want to let other members know that I do not want to turn this into a discussion about 9-ball. But thanks, and yes there are a lot of changes needed to get 9-ball back on track! But no more comments on 9-ball, please! thanks, guys! Whitey
Old 08-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Verified Member

Dennis, I think I can offer you a partial answer to your question.

If there is the slightest gap between any of the balls along the side of the rack you are breaking into, the force of the hit moves around the ball that has the gap and pushes that ball out as the cue ball travels towards the foot rail. This can easily cause the cue ball to kiss that ball and redirect it towards the corner pocket. A hit that is too soft can have the same result.

There is no way I know which will enhance a player's chances of pocketing a ball on the break simply by manipulating the rack.

There are ways of breaking the balls which will enhance a player's chances but these methods also enhance that player's chances of selling out.
(Have you ever played straight pool and during the opening break either you or your opponent called the corner ball one rail back into the back corner pocket? Same thing.)

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Verified Member

I know you can rack the corner balls both loose (not frozen to adjacent balls) and they will break bad. I forget what it does but may either have the one ball squirt out towards your hole so you have a shot after the break or it definitely messes with their break.

Things like this is why I will always favor rack your own.

I know when an opponent racks them, you have an opportunity to go examine them but first off, it takes more time that way, now I have to go look for anything they may have done to slight me. Secondly, and I am as guilty of this as anyone, I wont even check most of the time, because I "trust" they are going to to rack them fair, especially if playing a buddy and/or fellow member.

Racking your own eliminates all of that.

I dont mind the idea of what was brought up earlier where if you make a ball on the break and your next break you scratch, I guess a do-over is "ok", or like it is now in our current rules is fine to me as well. How many times will that really happen? You make a ball on first break, your second break you scratch, kind of rare I think to change the rules based on its low occurrence.

Last edited by cincy_kid; 08-19-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Verified Member

Default Inspecting the rack

Inspect the second and third balls. Even the smallest space between them will deaden the hit on the rack and the cue ball will perform perfectly. The result is a wall of balls protecting your break. Watch for a small space between the second and third ball. Also watch for a slight tilt toward the breaker's pocket. This increases the area he can hit on the break and makes it easier to spread the rack without losing the corner ball.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Verified Member

opponent racks you inspect them. how can that longer?

you rack and you get to push the full rack forward to the spot and firm them only pushing the back balls forward. one time and remove rack. opponent can come look and force a rerack.

funny how some argue about things taking longer, while what makes a game take longer is players that take a long time between shots, and others that amazingly defend it.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Verified Member

I think paranoia caused a lot of this, although there is something to 9 ball racking, I don't think anyone can have much, if any effect in one pocket.
I ask all my opponents to rack for both of us, most readily agree. I never had one manage to make me think he could accomplish anything.
P.S. Racking is tiresome to me.
P.P.S You rack'em tight for your own protection, when racked loose I usually get better breaks. JMO

Rodney Stephens.
(e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working
Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 PM

As it relates to one pocket I have been playing for 30 years and in Oklahoma City (1989-2000) and Kansas City (Since 2000) we have always played rack your own.

I have heard you could tilt the rack in your favor but I can't remember which way it should be tilted and haven't ever seen what I thought was an opponent trying to gain an advantage by how they rack.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:05 AM
Verified Member

Heres a funny story about racking. I was playing one of my regular opponents one day and Im racking for him to break. He tells me he's going to the bathroom so I say to the players on the next table that I'm going to give him the loosest rack that I can and of course after he breaks Ill tell him what I did and rerack for him. We trust each other and rarely check each others racking. Anyway he comes back to the table picks up his cue and breaks. As it turns out he makes a ball and the rack opens up beautifully clearly the best break of the day. Now the guys on the next table are laughing like crazy and I sure can't tell him that Im going to repack the balls so I wait till the game is over, which he easily won, and then I explain. We all had a good laugh. Keith