Pics of The Beard?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
It would be nice if anybody who has pics of Freddy would share them.

...especially pics of him with some of his many notable friends in pool.

...most especially if there's a story to go with the pic.

Thanks in advance!

pj
chgo

(Thanks to SacTown Tom for already doing this.)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Diana Hoppe posted a bunch on her Facebook page. Some really good ones

Attachments

• Grady-Fred-Bugs.jpg
    Grady-Fred-Bugs.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Another one from the group Diana posted. This was from the HOF year that Gary Spaeth was honored in the Bank Pool category and Gary's widow and two daughters came to accept on his behalf. It was a very emotional night for everyone, including (as always) Freddy.

The thing that really jumped out from our very first HOF dinner was how much these honors meant to the recipients, their families and their friends and peers. You might not think that hardened pool hustlers would have that much heart, but Freddy sure proved otherwise, and our HOF dinner turned out to be kind of an ideal fit for Freddy, with the wonderful combination of his knowledge of all the players, his irreverent sense of humor, and his deep and genuine fondness for all of the players -- friend and foe alike.

Attachments

• Freddy-with Spaeth family.jpg
    Freddy-with Spaeth family.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Another one from the group Diana posted. This was from the HOF year that Gary Spaeth was honored in the Bank Pool category and Gary's widow and two daughters came to accept on his behalf. It was a very emotional night for everyone, including (as always) Freddy.

The thing that really jumped out from our very first HOF dinner was how much these honors meant to the recipients, their families and their friends and peers. You might not think that hardened pool hustlers would have that much heart, but Freddy sure proved otherwise, and our HOF dinner turned out to be kind of an ideal fit for Freddy, with the wonderful combination of his knowledge of all the players, his irreverent sense of humor, and his deep and genuine fondness for all of the players -- friend and foe alike.
Thanks, Steve.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This is my FAVORITE photo some of the old Chicago crew by Angel Levine.
The memories this photo brings back are a flood of emotions from, anger, sadness, laughter and joy. To just have had these people in my life, especially Freddy, it has been an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

View attachment 10252

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
This is my FAVORITE photo some of the old Chicago crew by Angel Levine.
The memories this photo brings back are a flood of emotions from, anger, sadness, laughter and joy. To just have had these people in my life, especially Freddy, it has been an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

View attachment 10252
That's a great one. I see Larry every now and then - we were just talking about Beard's passing.

pj
chgo

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here is another one -- Freddy pretending to reach into Greg Sullivan's pocket. Freddy and Truman together were definitely always up to something!

Attachments

• Fred-Greg-Truman.jpg
    Fred-Greg-Truman.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I received a package today from Artie B. with some GREAT OLD photos of Freddy, Artie and one of the "BEST" hustler's in Bensingers, Lee "Reno" Keplacki.

One of Freddy playing on Table 13 with all the sweaters around and Artie leaning up against the post.

View attachment 10313

Another one of Freddy, (in his hippie days), playing a REAL strong young player from back in the day, "Butch" Dennis.

View attachment 10314

Next one is of Lee "Reno" Keplacki playing one of his regular suckers on table 13. Table 13 was the premiere "sweaters" table, buy the lunch counter.

View attachment 10315

Thanks a bunch Artie, sure brings back a lot of GREAT memories I wouldn't trade for anything!

Enjoy

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
I received a package today from Artie B. with some GREAT OLD photos of Freddy, Artie and one of the "BEST" hustler's in Bensingers, Lee "Reno" Keplacki.

One of Freddy playing on Table 13 with all the sweaters around and Artie leaning up against the post.

View attachment 10313

Another one of Freddy, (in his hippie days), playing a REAL strong young player from back in the day, "Butch" Dennis.

View attachment 10314

Next one is of Lee "Reno" Keplacki playing one of his regular suckers on table 13. Table 13 was the premiere "sweaters" table, buy the lunch counter.

View attachment 10315

Thanks a bunch Artie, sure brings back a lot of GREAT memories I wouldn't trade for anything!

Enjoy
I really enjoy these pictures. There not pictures of when we are old and over the hill. And out of shape. We really don't get to see the real person. In there prime. Just like a young girl asked me who is that. And I was embarrassed to say. That was me. Its amazing how we looked when we were younger. I talked to Freddy two days before he past away. And he sounded very good. And I told him I was going to send him the pictures. Because I no he never seen them. And you see its too late when there gone. Don't wait to tell someone what you want to tell them. Because its to late when there gone. Every body goes when the whistle blows. And we are on the waiting list. So enjoy each day. Like its your last. And you will live a good full life. Nobody enjoys looking at a old worn out shoe. I have learned that I can make a difference. Letting go is the only way to find true peace. Tomorrow is the day the sky will light up in Las Vegas and people will come from all around. In Chicago you have that great light parade with the boats. By lake Michigan and Lincoln park I seen it about 20 years ago with my two daughters.It was beautifully. I hope its still there. The first picture Billy posted of Freddy. Freddy would have loved it. I hope his family loves it too.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I really enjoy these pictures. There not pictures of when we are old and over the hill. And out of shape. We really don't get to see the real person. In there prime. Just like a young girl asked me who is that. And I was embarrassed to say. That was me. Its amazing how we looked when we were younger. I talked to Freddy two days before he past away. And he sounded very good. And I told him I was going to send him the pictures. Because I no he never seen them. And you see its too late when there gone. Don't wait to tell someone what you want to tell them. Because its to late when there gone. Every body goes when the whistle blows. And we are on the waiting list. So enjoy each day. Like its your last. And you will live a good full life. Nobody enjoys looking at a old worn out shoe. I have learned that I can make a difference. Letting go is the only way to find true peace. Tomorrow is the day the sky will light up in Las Vegas and people will come from all around. In Chicago you have that great light parade with the boats. By lake Michigan and Lincoln park I seen it about 20 years ago with my two daughters.It was beautifully. I hope its still there. The first picture Billy posted of Freddy. Freddy would have loved it. I hope his family loves it too.

Those pics were great, back in the day when ya took your licks and gave em out. When it was all about the game, nothing else. Yeah Artie, being from Glen Ellyn, we as kids did visit the ''big boys'' Bensingers room but looked for games more our speed during high school day 1964-67 when EVERY town in IL had a pool room, and every state college was packed with GC I's. But I got to see em during the Jansco brothers days.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
artie thanks for sharing the pics and mr3cushion for posting them
View attachment 10319
I remember when mr3cushion played CycoMike. Thee Cushion Billiards and mr3cushion had to go 5 rails or more to get a point. Where Cyco Mike only had to go 3 rails to make a point. And mike always found a way to loose. The difference between a 3 cushion player and a pool player. Is a 3 cushion player loves to see the ball travail 3 or 5 rails or more. Were pool players don move the cue ball around much. And don't play to many 3 cushion rail position. And it fascinates three cushion players to watch the cue ball traveling from one cushion to the next. And pool players don move the cue ball much. Three cushion is a very interesting and exciting game to play.Once you learn it. And mr3cushion is a very good player and gambler. And the game has been very good to him. And he has keepte the game alive. Even in its declining years. His love for the game has never changed. It would be a good Idea for someone to open Up a 3 cushion billiard hall of fame site.Or even add it to one pocket.org site. And add introduction to the 3 cushion billiard hall of fame.Just a Idea. So the old and the new will be remembered. Because they are part of America too and history. And should be remembered. So the atmosphere and the beauty and caracter are not lost and forgotten. They too were a part of our time and life. They all had there place and time. In the history of 3 cushion billiards. And mr3cushion has given and shared a lot.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I remember when mr3cushion played CycoMike. Thee Cushion Billiards and mr3cushion had to go 5 rails or more to get a point. Where Cyco Mike only had to go 3 rails to make a point. And mike always found a way to loose. The difference between a 3 cushion player and a pool player. Is a 3 cushion player loves to see the ball travail 3 or 5 rails or more. Were pool players don move the cue ball around much. And don't play to many 3 cushion rail position. And it fascinates three cushion players to watch the cue ball traveling from one cushion to the next. And pool players don move the cue ball much. Three cushion is a very interesting and exciting game to play.Once you learn it. And mr3cushion is a very good player and gambler. And the game has been very good to him. And he has keepte the game alive. Even in its declining years. His love for the game has never changed. It would be a good Idea for someone to open Up a 3 cushion billiard hall of fame site.Or even add it to one pocket.org site. And add introduction to the 3 cushion billiard hall of fame.Just a Idea. So the old and the new will be remembered. Because they are part of America too and history. And should be remembered. So the atmosphere and the beauty and caracter are not lost and forgotten. They too were a part of our time and life. They all had there place and time. In the history of 3 cushion billiards. And mr3cushion has given and shared a lot.

Artie; thanks for the mention. A lot of time in Bensingers honing my craft on the billiard table.

Here's a photo from 1968 of me and me and my Dad playing in a tournament there. The semi-hippie days for me!

BTW. we were still playing with ivory balls back then.

View attachment 10321

View attachment 10320

Nice memories to have of those days in the "Dungeon."

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie; thanks for the mention. A lot of time in Bensingers honing my craft on the billiard table.

Here's a photo from 1968 of me and me and my Dad playing in a tournament there. The semi-hippie days for me!

BTW. we were still playing with ivory balls back then.

View attachment 10321

View attachment 10320

Nice memories to have of those days in the "Dungeon."
In the second picture did you no you and your dad have the same stance?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
In the second picture did you no you and your dad have the same stance?
People have said so much about Bensingers. Did you no there were more 3 cushion billiard tables in Bensingers then pool tables. Can anyone else name another pool room that had more three cushion billiard tables then pool table.

This is a pretty hard one?

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
The Beard and other notables at the Childress Tournament back in the day. (Think this is Bill Porter's photo.)

Attachments

• Childress tourny.jpg
    Childress tourny.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: