The mental side

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I know I have not been posting in a while...but I just finished lurking and read some of the wwyd's and a recurring thought occurred...

I go to the table with the following thoughts...

1. What can I do offensively...(pure offense)
2. Where is the worst place to put the cue ball for my opponent.(pure defense)
3. How can I survive this inning...

These have served me well and are a bastardized list from Dr. Bill's instructional DVD.

However I have to repeat what Hacker said in one of the wwyd's. Force your opponent to shoot a shot to improve your position and get the next shot. For me that is illuminating, forcing your opponent to improve your position not his and also on how he plays the game. I don't usually think of that as I approach the table.

I try to keep it simple without a lot of clutter to decide what to shoot.

Ya'lls thoughts on this?

B

PS I don't usually post on the wwyd's because I play to squeeze not shoot most of the time. Waiting for my opponent to make the first mistake. That may be a wrong way to play but I am definitely not a shooter...

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Force your opponent to shoot a shot to improve your position and get the next shot. For me that is illuminating, forcing your opponent to improve your position not his and also on how he plays the game. I don't usually think of that as I approach the table.

Ya'lls thoughts on this?

B

PS I don't usually post on the wwyd's because I play to squeeze not shoot most of the time. Waiting for my opponent to make the first mistake. That may be a wrong way to play but I am definitely not a shooter...

I like this philosophy, and often opt out of a more offensive shot in favor of one that really screws my opponent. Like freezing to the back of a ball or the stack on his side. You can get in trouble against a really good player this way, but even then - I'm in trouble already! :D

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I know I have not been posting in a while...but I just finished lurking and read some of the wwyd's and a recurring thought occurred...

I go to the table with the following thoughts...

1. What can I do offensively...(pure offense)
2. Where is the worst place to put the cue ball for my opponent.(pure defense)
3. How can I survive this inning...

These have served me well and are a bastardized list from Dr. Bill's instructional DVD.

However I have to repeat what Hacker said in one of the wwyd's. Force your opponent to shoot a shot to improve your position and get the next shot. For me that is illuminating, forcing your opponent to improve your position not his and also on how he plays the game. I don't usually think of that as I approach the table.

Ya'lls thoughts on this?

B

To nitpick a bit, unless I'm just escaping a trap, I think of this as offense, not defense: "2. Where is the worst place to put the cue ball for my opponent."

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I just started the book, "Winning Ugly" by Brad Gilbert. It is very helpful in this area. Also, I find that if I can remember to be aware of my breathing that this calms me and helps me to gain perspective.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I just started the book, "Winning Ugly" by Brad Gilbert. It is very helpful in this area. Also, I find that if I can remember to be aware of my breathing that this calms me and helps me to gain perspective.

I suspect part of Brad's book will go into his time with Agassi, who invented himself with Gilbert's help. Part of his real advice was to not be flashy and just embrace a win by whatever means, a lesson that was hard for Agassi but ultimately allowed him to turn a corner well into his career.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I haven't got that far yet, Dan. I'm only on the second chapter but I have already found a lot to work with. Brad's philosophy seems like it would embrace Artie's. He tries to keep a very positive attitude and seek small advantages. He prepares for his match quite meticulously and studiously and early. Its really quite good.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I haven't got that far yet, Dan. I'm only on the second chapter but I have already found a lot to work with. Brad's philosophy seems like it would embrace Artie's. He tries to keep a very positive attitude and seek small advantages. He prepares for his match quite meticulously and studiously and early. Its really quite good.

I suspect it is great reading. I despised Gilbert's game in the late '80's and early '90's. After reading Agassiz's book, I came to appreciate him.