Call the hit

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Oop's that's a foul. :sorry

Very hard to tell in real time, there is often a tell tale sound when shooting a little harder.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes, of course it's a double hit. And I love the Dr. Dave super slo-mo vids.

But this is probably an example of how legal hits tend to be judged by today's TDs and referees. Many double hits are difficult to judge, because the second contact cannot be seen or heard with certainty. So as to simply life, it's become somewhat customary to establish that, as long as the cue is elevated by 45 degrees or more, then it will not be judged a double hit.

~Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I remember the "good old days" when it was legal to shoot through a single ball whether frozen to it or not. That is as long as it was one stroke. Changing this rule, forcing players to elevate 45%, cue ball can't pass more than whatever through the object ball, and whatever other silliness did nothing more than complicate the calls for the refs.

Watch some straight pool matches from even twenty years ago and you will occasionally see a shot where the player has shot through a ball not frozen to the cue ball. No foul was called, no argument by the apposing player. The good old days. Simple and without controversy.

What's wrong with allowing a player to shoot through an object ball? It's the same for both players isn't it?

Just my take,

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I remember the "good old days" when it was legal to shoot through a single ball whether frozen to it or not. That is as long as it was one stroke. Changing this rule, forcing players to elevate 45%, cue ball can't pass more than whatever through the object ball, and whatever other silliness did nothing more than complicate the calls for the refs.

Watch some straight pool matches from even twenty years ago and you will occasionally see a shot where the player has shot through a ball not frozen to the cue ball. No foul was called, no argument by the apposing player. The good old days. Simple and without controversy.

What's wrong with allowing a player to shoot through an object ball? It's the same for both players isn't it?

Just my take,

Tom

I blame it on Grady :). In the early 70's he taught all of us in CO that shooting into the object ball if frozen was a bad hit.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo

Just my take,

Tom
agreed.........

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Just my take,

Tom

You can't do that in the gentlemans game of Snooker:)

beatle

Verified Member
i tend to agree if things are the same for both players and that helps keep controversies from happening its the best for the game.

wiithout a ref there for every shot, you cant have calls on scratches made by your opponent.

the game doesnt have to be pure. thats only for straight pool tournaments as far as i am concerned.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
It's a foul in one (or more) of three ways:

- double hit
- contact with the ferrule
- intentional miscue (if it's intentional)

Usually not called because it's so hard to see clearly.

pj
chgo

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Looking for a rule that eliminates controversies?

When the CB and OB are close, you must shoot away from the OB in such a direction that the extension (line) of the cue stick does not touch the OB.

On shots where there could be a foul, both players can look at the intended line of the cue stick and determine beforehand that it is clear of the OB BEFORE the shot.

True, it may limit some shot choices, but it is fair for everyone, and it eliminates controversies, in the same way that looking at a potentially frozen ball prior to the shot does. Nes Pa?:frus

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee

- double hit

pj
chgo

With all due respect:
The video is in slow motion and I used stop frame but could not definitely see a double hit.
I could not actually see contact with the ferrule... maybe the side of the leather tip.
Didn't look like intentional miscue to me....but how do you really tell.

Doesn't the call favor the shooter if it is not obvious?

Patrick, could you recheck this. My computer is old but my eyes are in their 70's

Tennessee Joe

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

- double hit

pj
chgo

With all due respect:
The video is in slow motion and I used stop frame but could not definitely see a double hit.
I could not actually see contact with the ferrule... maybe the side of the leather tip.
Didn't look like intentional miscue to me....but how do you really tell.

Doesn't the call favor the shooter if it is not obvious?

Patrick, could you recheck this. My computer is old but my eyes are in their 70's

Tennessee Joe
Joe, I should have said "it's an obvious double-hit foul in slomo, but it probably couldn't have been seen in real time".

As for the three ways it could have been a foul:

- I saw the double hit, but wouldn't have without slomo video
- I couldn't tell if the ferrule made contact
- I'm suspicious that it was an intentional miscue, but don't know for sure

So in this case, if I was the ref I would have said no foul - as you say, if it's not clear, the call goes to the shooter.

pj
chgo