Which would you rather have?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Fast Lenny said:
12-6 or 10-5 from another player as a spot, lets say someone who is a top one pocket player? :cool:

Lenny,

My little babe in the woods...take the 10-5. The less balls you have to go to, the better for YOU. (it doesn't matter if Scott, Mitch or Bernie....go to 20 balls) Would you play them 30 to 15 ????... I think not.

San...<---professional knocker..;)

PS...Call me re; Mosconi Cup in Vegas...will you chaffeur ?..we can split a room...Sat, Sun only.

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Lenny,

My little babe in the woods...take the 10-5. The less balls you have to go to, the better for YOU. (it doesn't matter if Scott, Mitch or Bernie....go to 20 balls) Would you play them 30 to 15 ????... I think not.

PS...Call me re; Mosconi Cup in Vegas...will you chaffeur ?..we can split a room...Sat, Sun only.

I would love to go to 5.

beatle

Verified Member
if you are good at moving and getting balls up table and are good at banking then go for the 12 to 6. all the balls will be used and you can have extra time to get them up table. other wise if you are counting on winning by shooting go for the lesser amount especially on your break.
if you can bank well no one can spot you two to one on balls, up table.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
SJDinPHX said:
Lenny,

Dick, I would agree 100% and that is why I am posting this. I played Scott Saturday and the spot was 12-6, Bret Huth a higher rated played who gives me 7-6 in the tourney was getting 10-5 from Scott, did not make sense to me at all as 12-6 to me is tougher. If a player like Frost gives has to go 2 more to your 1 then that does not mean very much and favors him for sure. When I spoke to Ronn I think it was about it he said that Scott can run 10's all day but running 12 will most likely not happen too often.

As for the Mosconi Cup, I will call you, just tell me a good time, will be up from now for a few hours for sure, got a ticket for you already. ;)

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
not really lenny. 2 balls at the end of the game are harder to make than 2 balls in the beginning. so when you play longer you more likely will both make one ball at a time. then getting two to one in balls is huge. alot depends on how you play the game adjusting to the spot. if you just play a normal game as if your opponent is equal than it is correct for the smaller # to go to as your breaks become stronger in value.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
beatle said:
not really lenny. 2 balls at the end of the game are harder to make than 2 balls in the beginning. so when you play longer you more likely will both make one ball at a time. then getting two to one in balls is huge. alot depends on how you play the game adjusting to the spot. if you just play a normal game as if your opponent is equal than it is correct for the smaller # to go to as your breaks become stronger in value.

Beatle,

I don't know where your basing your assumptions, but I know you are not looking at it from the better players viewpoint.

I have been giving up weight all my life, and for every ball I can get the weaker player to agree to, I can go up several more.

End game, or banking ability,or even the break, has very little to do with it. If you can give someone 10 or 11 to 5... and win, you will steal his money at 12-6 or if he'll go for it...13 or 14 to 7.

If you,re looking at it from the viewpoint of a weaker player, who really plays good, and wants to lock up the better player...it won't take a good player long to figure out the game is no f-ing good..:eek: :D :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
beatle said:

Beatle, This must be what you tell the guys you spot. Every time the weaker players need to make an extra ball, it's a heavy load for them. I don't have the firepower I once had, but it's still easier to spot 12-6 than 10-5
Rod.

beatle

Verified Member
yes it is tougher but that is referring to a spot of say 9 to 6 as to 10 to 7. here it is still one ball each so the difference the ratio is changed. but in the original thing of 12 to 6 versus 10 to 5 the ratio is the same. so the play of the game determines if one is better than the other.
a certain way of playing like i mentioned can drastically change which game is better for either side.

as an example which would you rather give to someone that banks well and is good at getting the balls up table if you are a superior ball runner. certainly the 10 to 5 as you can end the game sooner. but the other player would want 12 to 6 as when the balls are up table you are not a two to one ball favorite on each ball made.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
beatle said:
yes it is tougher but that is referring to a spot of say 9 to 6 as to 10 to 7. here it is still one ball each so the difference the ratio is changed. but in the original thing of 12 to 6 versus 10 to 5 the ratio is the same. so the play of the game determines if one is better than the other.
a certain way of playing like i mentioned can drastically change which game is better for either side.

as an example which would you rather give to someone that banks well and is good at getting the balls up table if you are a superior ball runner. certainly the 10 to 5 as you can end the game sooner. but the other player would want 12 to 6 as when the balls are up table you are not a two to one ball favorite on each ball made.

Thats true Beatle...but if you (as a 2 to 1 better player) cannot control the game better than that, then yes, you will probably lose, WHATEVER the spot. :rolleyes:

San <---was never afraid of being out-banked, or out moved...by someone he could give 10 to 5, and have the best of it..:eek:...JMHO

Last edited:

carscotty

12-6 or 10-5

12-6 or 10-5

beatle said:

To me I think that certain styles make matches. If a player like Lenny has to go to 5 or 6 shouldn't matter to him 1 ball doesn't make a difference. If you have the firepower to run balls it shouldn't make a difference. Make the stronger player 2 balls more to your one..IMHO

SJDinPHX

Suspended
carscotty said:
To me I think that certain styles make matches. If a player like Lenny has to go to 5 or 6 shouldn't matter to him 1 ball doesn't make a difference. If you have the firepower to run balls it shouldn't make a difference. Make the stronger player 2 balls more to your one..IMHO

Scotty, for your own sake...you had better learn you are dead wrong ! IMHO

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Here's how to tell....

Here's how to tell....

Here is the scenario: The rent is due, the plug is going in the hotel door. It's zero outside and the poolroom closes at one oclock and you dont even have a car. Your stomach is growling, and you aint had any dinner yet. You look around the room and there aint a bite in sight. You only have two barrels and he makes you put up for the first game. NOW you have to decide whether to give this guy 10 to 5, or 12 to 6, for "Casey Jones." Myself, it aint even close, for my last tough money, I want him to go to 6. I know I can get mine, I just want to make sure he has trouble getting his.

Beard

carscotty

SJDinPHX said:
Scotty, for your own sake...you had better learn you are dead wrong ! IMHO
I might be wrong, plus in my town I don't have alot to learn from, but I was letting Lenny know what I would do in his shoes. Not what everyone in general would do. I've never played anyone or gave anyone such a huge spot:D If I need to give someone 12-6 or 10-5 I'm going to rob them know matter what, if I need that much weight then I'm going to get robbed! So yes you're right I do need to learn! I'm trying. NOT BROKE YET:eek:

senor

Verified Member
carscotty said:
1 ball doesn't make a difference.

I disagree. One ball could make the difference between Surf and Turf or the dollar menu at McD's.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I agree Fred, I want my ball count to be as low as I can get if I'm the lesser player. Me going to 6 and him to 12 is alot more in his favor than mine.---Smitty

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The chart we have here on OnePocket.org is simply mathematically calculated. What I am hearing here is that maybe we should revise it, to put a little extra "weight" on the lower of the two numbers instead of equally weighing the higher number, because it is the adjustment to the lower number that makes the biggest difference -- the score that the weaker player goes to.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
The chart we have here on OnePocket.org is simply mathematically calculated. What I am hearing here is that maybe we should revise it, to put a little extra "weight" on the lower of the two numbers instead of equally weighing the higher number, because it is the adjustment to the lower number that makes the biggest difference -- the score that the weaker player goes to.

Steve, I haven't looked at your chart, but from 5 to 6 for a weaker player is enormous, and to 7 is off the chart.
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
Steve, I haven't looked at your chart, but from 5 to 6 for a weaker player is enormous, and to 7 is off the chart.
Rod.

Rod, I hadn't thought about what you guys here are saying about that extra ball (from 5 to 6), but it makes a lot of sense. Might keep me from trapoping myself (which I am very good at, by the way) sometime in the future.

Skin

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Rod, I hadn't thought about what you guys here are saying about that extra ball (from 5 to 6), but it makes a lot of sense. Might keep me from trapoping myself (which I am very good at, by the way) sometime in the future.

Skin

Skin, in an earlier post I mentioned I play one fellow 10-7 and another guy 10-6 both tough games, the guy I play 10-7 spots the other guy 9-7, thats kind of a statment about the difference between 7 and 6.
Rod.

Last edited: