cue preference?

desertshark

I have a dedicated break cue, a solid shaft back up cue and my main play cue with 12.75mm low deflection shaft. I also have a closet cue that doesn't make it out much.
My back up and main cue have tiger sniper tips, my closet cue and spare shaft are both Joss and have the Kamui super softs.

For 8-ball on 9-footers and 9-ball on barboxes (league nights) I mostly use my main cue and break cue.

All my cues are stainless steel joints and lately I've been thinking of picking up a wood to wood or phenolic joint cue.

Obviously since the hard hitting shot is so rare in one pocket, I know I can use a soft tip and have a dedicated one pocket cue. Now, should I go with a semi skinny (12.25-12.75) with a Kamui for cue control or run what I brung?

What are you guys using?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I switched to soft tips a few years back because I was having issues with miscues on soft shots with edge-of-the-cueball juice -- just the kind of thing that comes up all the time at One Pocket (at least the way I play). Making that switch really cut down my miscues. I was using Moori soft but they seem to have changed, so I am now in a little limbo as to what to use next... but currently am using the Moori soft -- just not as happy with them as I was with the older ones. I don't know what changed. I plan to try a Kamui soft next.

desertshark

I'm gonna try one of my Joss Kamui shaft. I like the thickness of my low deflection shaft and my Joss shafts are the same thickness. As a matter of fact, I keep it my case and I'll try it out before 8-ball tonight :)

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
I switched to soft tips a few years back because I was having issues with miscues on soft shots with edge-of-the-cueball juice -- just the kind of thing that comes up all the time at One Pocket (at least the way I play). Making that switch really cut down my miscues. I was using Moori soft but they seem to have changed, so I am now in a little limbo as to what to use next... but currently am using the Moori soft -- just not as happy with them as I was with the older ones. I don't know what changed. I plan to try a Kamui soft next.

I have both the Kamui "soft" and "super soft" on Schon shafts. The "super soft" (black) is the one I prefer although I'll win no draw contests with it.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I have both the Kamui "soft" and "super soft" on Schon shafts. The "super soft" (black) is the one I prefer although I'll win no draw contests with it.

IMO & ICBW, the black soft is very comparable to a new lepro in hardness, the medium hits like a triangle, and the super soft maybe a little softer than an elk master. i've got the softs on everything (including snooker cues) right now.

i really liked the onyx tips by tiger but the layers seem to start to seperate after a couple of weeks....

backplaying

Verified Member
I have never known a player who used different cues or tips for different games. I would guess some would use a smaller diameter shaft for snooker. If you like one stick and shaft for 1 pocket, you should use that same stick for 9,10 and 8 ball. Shannon Daulton turned me on to the kamui ss a few years back and its the best tip I've ever used. I think Larry Nevel and several other top player use a kamui.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I use different cues

I use different cues

I have never known a player who used different cues or tips for different games. I would guess some would use a smaller diameter shaft for snooker. If you like one stick and shaft for 1 pocket, you should use that same stick for 9,10 and 8 ball. Shannon Daulton turned me on to the kamui ss a few years back and its the best tip I've ever used. I think Larry Nevel and several other top player use a kamui.
I play with an old Schon with a soft tip as my every day cue. I also have a Joss with a medium tip and a little fatter shaft that I use to break with (no, not to break with at One Pocket, lol). However, I also prefer to use the Joss when I play Bank Pool :D It's because I play a very different style with banks vs one pocket -- more firmer shots in banks, and I also try to stay much closer to the center of the cue ball at banks, whereas I am often out at the edge playing One Pocket. The bigger, firmer tip seems to me to work better for the style of play I try to bring to my banking. I didn't buy the stick for that purpose, but I happened to try it one day and realized it helped me bank a little more consistently. Maybe its just psychological being a different cue, fatter tip, lol -- or maybe I should use my bank style of center ball play all the time :D:D

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I played with nothing but lepros for about 10 years, then a good player that did cue repair told me to change to triangle if i liked lepro hit. Since then I have been playing with triangles for about 10 years. I personally dont think the tip matters too much, but I do think practicing with a certain tip, and even tip height, is important, then playing with that same tip under pressure.

desertshark

I appreciate the replies and ideas.
With my current Joss ss360 shaft combo, I use it for everything. But my reasoning is I like the way it hits harder. The stainless joint feels good with a harder hit. I had an issue with the feedback I got playing one pocket at slower softer speeds.
Unfortunately tonight I didn't have a chance to play a solo one pocket rack. I got there late and only had enough time to warm up for a few racks before playing.
Sunday im going to test the Joss back up shaft with the Kamui tip. If I like it enough ill swap out the sniper tip. I've noticed lately my English isn't as dialed in as when the tip was new. I think its a little worn out. Even after scuffing its not performing as it used to. Or I'm demanding more now now that I didn't before.
Also I would like to try out a non stainless joint cue for awhile too. But I love the low deflection shaft...

I'm confused

desertshark

I've decided to go with the cue maker that made me the ss360 shaft for my Joss. His quality of cues are great, I've actually had the pleasure of shooting with one in the joint style I am looking for.

Now comes the wait for the cue lol

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I play with a Jerry Olivier with a Z2 shaft. All my shafts and other cues, Shon and another Olivier, have hard Killer tips. They really transfer english and don't mushroom at all. Only thing you have to remember is keep chalk on them or things can get real ugly.---Smitty

desertshark

Question for you guys with the ld shafts or even solid....

Do you have your shafts turned down at all?

desertshark

My SS360 shaft and my Joss shafts are 12.75mm. My back up cue is 13mm.

The cue I'm contracting to be made is going to be 12.75mm, Kamui super soft, big wood to wood joint and a few sharp points.

backplaying

Verified Member
My SS360 shaft and my Joss shafts are 12.75mm. My back up cue is 13mm.

The cue I'm contracting to be made is going to be 12.75mm, Kamui super soft, big wood to wood joint and a few sharp points.

I think you will be very happy with the kamui ss. I never had mine to mushroom ..

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
tips

tips

I'm playing with an ebony/ivory Jacoby cue with the hybrid shaft with a tiger sniper tip, when playing one pocket or 9 ball. I play with my other Jacoby with a medium black kamuai when i play bank pool.