The official 2006 HOF comments thread

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
To keep the voting page clean, this thread is the place for your comments and questions on the Hall of Fame players and voting -- Thank you for your understanding.

As you read through the names on this year’s ballot you will find a distinguished group, all great players that dedicated the prime of their lives to the game of One Pocket.

You may also discover that one or more of your favorite candidates are missing from this year’s ballot. Do not despair, every year we will have a different mix and different focus on the ballot, so that eventually all of the deserving candidates from every One Pocket region and era is well-represented. Of course, some of the younger generation players are simply still laboring in trenches – their time for the HOF will come.

If you want to champion a specific player, promoter or teacher, then the best advice I can give you is to educate, educate, educate. Put together as much good solid information about your candidate as you can find – especially first hand accounts of people that saw them, learned from them or competed with them, if that is possible. If they are a living candidate, help put them in touch with us so for an interview. The more of a case you can help build, the better chances your candidate will have of getting on the ballot and elected on their merits.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Moved from ballot thread...

Moved from ballot thread...

SactownTom said:
I'm a little surprized that (at the time of this post) 22 posters have cast their votes and there isn't a unanimous pick.

I sure hope Strawberry gets in this year
Tom -- I moved your post here to keep the balloting simple.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Why Brooks?

Why Brooks?

I'm wondering why all the interest in Brooks over more obvious choices? Is it because we've used his famous quote? I assume the man has a lot of friends on this forum, but other than that I'm not sure why he'd qualify over some of the others. Hell, if this is going to be a popularity contest, I vote for Pelican...:)

Doc

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
gulfportdoc said:
I'm wondering why all the interest in Brooks over more obvious choices? Is it because we've used his famous quote? I assume the man has a lot of friends on this forum, but other than that I'm not sure why he'd qualify over some of the others. Hell, if this is going to be a popularity contest, I vote for Pelican...:)

Doc

Doc, I think it's because he's pretty old and may not be around for very much longer. His playing ability cannot be questioned. He played as well as anybody in the late 60s and 70s.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Strawberry

Strawberry

BackPocket9Ball said:
Doc, I think it's because he's pretty old and may not be around for very much longer. His playing ability cannot be questioned. He played as well as anybody in the late 60s and 70s.

He also played everybody for all they wanted to play for. Plus, I think he did win a big OnePocket tourney in the 70s or 80s.

The Beard

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
The official 2006 HOF

The official 2006 HOF

BackPocket9Ball said:
There,s no question of his being popular, but I believe the main reason for his consideration is he meets the the standards,that defines a HOF candidate. It that he goes above and beyond .

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Plus he promoted two major One Pocket tournaments. Not to knock any of the other guys, IMHO Strawberry has the right mix for our Hall of Fame -- I don't think popularity has anything to do with it.

Art, I'm curious about your 'obvious choices' :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Strawberry

Strawberry

Well Strawberry looked pretty darn sprightly when he was just at the U.S. Open One Pocket in Louisville, B-S'n and sweatin' with that wild and crazy Pittsburgh Cal!! I heard he was looking for some guy named Reza...:cool: And if playing for big dough is a criterion, then half the old guys in Detroit should be in, plus a guy down here in New Orleans named Gerald Huber!:D

Doc

dmyroncox

Verified Member
From
louisville kentucky
it appears

it appears

strawberry is and has played and done more than most people.
he deserves this as much as anyone!

be happy for what happens, its a public vote and not your "popularity campaign".