One pocket rule question

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I have a question regarding an odd situation in a one pocket game I played the other day. I hope Grady or Freddy the Beard will see this thread and provide the answer as I am certain they will know.

I was playing 10 to 8 and I owed one while he had seven and needed but one. I was hating it, but all the remaining balls were still down table and mostly in a cluster so I felt I still had a slim chance to get back into the game. My opponant played safe under the rack leaving me on the end rail. I found a dead ball for my hole. Knocked it in and in doing so, a ball fell off into a neutral pocket. I ran the remaining six balls, now needing two.

The question is what happens now? Do both balls spot together or do they come up one at a time? I have always played where when two ball are owed and there are no balls remaining, they both spot together, but this is slightly different in that I only owed one while the second ball was due to it's dropping into a neutral pocket. Is there any difference at play here?

We played it as two balls spotting together and I think that is probably correct but I do have some lingering doubts. Please enlighten me.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
By the way I banked the remaining two balls to win the game and it broke my opponents spirit and I busted his bankroll after that!
One game can change everything!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I took a look at our rules here on Onepocket.org, and found this (go to Official One Pocket Rules and scroll down to 9.2, under 'Spotting Balls')

9.2 Any penalty balls owed by the shooter, or balls pocketed in a neutral pocket, are to be spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. However, if a player runs off all the balls on the table without reaching a winning score, then all such balls are spotted immediately (all at once, not one ball at a time), and the shooter continues their inning. At no other time in One Pocket are balls spotted during any shooter’s ongoing inning.

It would probably be better if our rules dropped the word "penalty", so this read, "Any balls owed by the shooter, or balls pocket in a neutral pocket..." instead of "Any penalty balls..." but in anycase, I agree with the call that they both spot at once, not one at a time.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Higher math

Higher math

Please check my arithmetic. You are going to ten, you owe one, you pocket seven and only need two more? Who was your opponent? I want him next.:rolleyes:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Thanks Steve, The rule is as I thought but after 40 years of playing One Pocket I had not come across this situation.
And for Vapros, I had already paid one ball earlier during the game.
Hence, I owed one at the time of my run.

senor

Verified Member
Tom Wirth said:
Thanks Steve, The rule is as I thought but after 40 years of playing One Pocket I had not come across this situation.
And for Vapros, I had already paid one ball earlier during the game.
Hence, I owed one at the time of my run.

It's only happenned to me once, as well. Neither me nor my opponent knew the rule, and I was lucky enough to gain the benefit of the doubt and spot one at a time.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Balls 'owed'

Balls 'owed'

I understand. Playing 10-8, you would begin with two coins next to your pocket. I never thought of those as balls 'owed' although I suppose they are. Isn't there any distinction in terminology between those two balls and other balls owed through fouls? Any comments on this?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hi Vapros,
To answer your question regarding a distinction between fouls and balls owed, there is none. However there is the three consecutive foul rule. This rule would not apply to the first two balls owed in a ten - eight game.
Just to be clear on the three foul rule. A player must be clearly informed by his opponent that he is on two fouls, and only then, should he foul a third time in a row, that would be a loss of game.