Nature of the Game

nah2ofounten

I have been playing this game for only a short time, and I have much more to learn. But right now, I am trying to figure out how to direct my education. One Pocket seems to be a game in transition, and this is my question: what is the future of this game: is it a slow game of safeties, i.e. a chess match, or a run out game like nine ball, or both? Additionally, whatever your opinion is, do you think that this is the way the game has always been played, or is it changing?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
nah2ofounten said:
I have been playing this game for only a short time, and I have much more to learn. But right now, I am trying to figure out how to direct my education. One Pocket seems to be a game in transition, and this is my question: what is the future of this game: is it a slow game of safeties, i.e. a chess match, or a run out game like nine ball, or both? Additionally, whatever your opinion is, do you think that this is the way the game has always been played, or is it changing?
One pocket is everything you mentioned and more. To answer your question, what are your strong points and build your one pocket game around that. You can be a thinker and mover but you still have to come with a shot at some point in the game. If you are a shooter, you have to go for balls once and a while to stay in stroke. I have been playing one pocket since the early 60's, and without tooting my own horn too much, probably played it as good as a guy who always had a job could play it. The game has been around a long time and the oldtimers wouldn'r run more than a few balls at a time and then lock you up. It is the ultimate gambling game of pool because you can hide your game and still win, and be a very good player with a variety of skills. You can break down a shooter by playing safe and getting them out of stroke. If you are a shooter and ball runner, you can come with the tough shot and discourage the safety player. The top players can do all of these things, but shot selection is the key to the game. As the game gained popularity over the years and 9-ball and straight pool players took it up, you started seeing a more agressive game and more balls being run. You can learn a new shot and play every day and not see it come up again for a long time. Once a good player learns a few basic moves they can be tough to beat.

senor

Verified Member
nah2ofounten said:

I think it's even a bot more complex than what you described. You should only duck if you have a better chance of winning that way. Each inning is different, so you may need to shoot next inning. If you have to duck, move with a purpose, try to mix in a little offense with your defense. If you have to move a ball or balls by your opponent's pocket, try to position them or use them to break obstacles to your pocket.

Remember that your three best friends in one pocket are distance, the rail and the stack -- in no particular order. Also, the best move in one pocket is running out.