What to Do

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AGbe2DWfG2EYqe2PULQ4QdGu3RcYr2XWfG2XXko3XBpG2YYqe2YbVN3YErh2kULQ2kVxX2kaiU@[/CUETABLE]This shot came up today in a cheap game with a friend. He needed one ball and he had pocket A. I needed all three and had pocket B. He shot the diagrammed shot and missed. I ended up winning the game, I think in large part because he broke up the two balls that did not go in my hole. I think I would have shot the 1 and played safe if I were in that spot. What do you think?

timdog24

Verified Member
Definitely would not have touched the two balls that don't go if I need one. No reason to put em all in play. I'm just going to do something simple like bank the one up table to my side (not leaving him the 2-rail option). Now, if I need em all, I would send both balls towards my hole and probably draw my rock back.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i'd play the score and leave the 2 balls that dont go alone. i might try to cut the 1 in or get it closer to my hole and leave the cue down table. if i try whats suggested above i leave a possible 3 rail bank on the the 4 ball if i dont leave a bank on the one. i also might roll the the cue into the 4 softly into the5 and keep them tied up and the cue where you cant see the one

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
i'd play the score and leave the 2 balls that dont go alone. i might try to cut the 1 in or get it closer to my hole and leave the cue down table. if i try whats suggested above i leave a possible 3 rail bank on the the 4 ball if i dont leave a bank on the one. i also might roll the the cue into the 4 softly into the5 and keep them tied up and the cue where you cant see the one
I would doble bank the one ball and leave the cue ball close to the corner pocket Or shoot the one ball close to the side pocket with the cue ball close to the end rail.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I would say that your friend was either a hotdog or a beginner or the bet was less than a dollar. I know a one-legged man named Bubba in Gumstump, Mississippi who might play that shot, needing one ball, but I cannot think of anyone else.

On the other hand, if Bubba hit it rather gently (like pocket-speed) and left both balls near his pocket, you wouldn't have to like it, but that would not make it a wise move. :eek:

timdog24

Verified Member
lll said:
if you double bank the one and miss dont you leave him a bank at his pocket?

Agree here. Unless you hit it very hard, but then it becomes a low % make and funny things can happen. If I'm in the 1 hole I don't want to take any chances when I don't need to. But if you are confident in the double bank then maybe that's the shot for you. I'm not.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
He did look like a hotdog now that you mention it. And we were only betting
98 cents. How did you know?
If you shoot the doble bank you shoot it hard enough to go up and down and stop in front of the side pocket. But I would just shoot the one ball in front of the side pocket and manouver tell I get the 3 balls out of play and play one ball one pocket with all three balls and if I loose that way. I have nothing to complain about. Because If you are playing one pocket with one ball at a time you should make one out of three if you both play the same speed. Your job is to but all the balls out off play and then manouver with one ball at a time. And todo that you have to no what you are doing.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the next shot the opponent is going to try to break up the balls that dont go .yes? and maybe put a ball near his pocket with the 3 railer.if you freeze him on the 4 its tougher to move his balls to his hole. imho but im hear to learn

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
My inclination would be to bank the 1-ball up to my 1st diamond quadrant at the head of the table, leaving the CB down in his corner of the table. The opponent would have no shot.

On the other hand, banking the 1-ball up near my side pocket would prevent the opponent from trying a 3-railer on the 4 or 5, because he'd sell out a cut shot on the 1-ball. So I believe that the side pocket area leave is a better shot.

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
My inclination would be to bank the 1-ball up to my 1st diamond quadrant at the head of the table, leaving the CB down in his corner of the table. The opponent would have no shot.

On the other hand, banking the 1-ball up near my side pocket would prevent the opponent from trying a 3-railer on the 4 or 5, because he'd sell out a cut shot on the 1-ball. So I believe that the side pocket area leave is a better shot.

Doc
The reason you want the one ball by the side pocket is so he doesnt shoot the two railer. And but you down the end rail. And even If you are short off the side pocket he calt sshoot the one ball two rails and leave you down the end rail. And if you but the one ball by the side pocket he can only bank the one ball were the other two balls are. And thate why you shoot it thier.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AGbe2DWfG2EYqe2PULQ4QdGu3RcYr2XWfG2XXko3XBpG2YYqe2YbVN3YErh2kULQ2kVxX2kaiU@[/CUETABLE]This shot came up today in a cheap game with a friend. He needed one ball and he had pocket A. I needed all three and had pocket B. He shot the diagrammed shot and missed. I ended up winning the game, I think in large part because he broke up the two balls that did not go in my hole. I think I would have shot the 1 and played safe if I were in that spot. What do you think?

Saw that baby (one ball) in, or spin it and leave both balls on the rail by pocket A.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
Rod,

I will never leave you a thin cut shot at the one ball. You like it way too much.

And I would never leave this for Mr. Senor either. I know that he has the guts to shoot the 4. I'd be lookin' to run.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

He made the right shot, if he needed all three! Like Artie said, shoot the 1 ball away and leave the cue ball on the end rail. If you duck here you should be able to win the game.