Memphis

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I went early to the Memphis melee. It takes me a couple of days to acclimate the time changes, flights, etc. First day was looking over the place and unpacking. Tuesday and Wednesday I played one of the locals and broke even for the two days and then Warren came in and we played a few hours. He and I break even each time we play but its good warm up for Mitch the Beast. Mitch is playing very good and I wish I could give him a decent game. He broke out right away three games ahead when in the fourth game down 7-zero I ran out from no where. That put him in a coma for four games and after that, like Mitch said, it was a blur. He shot at everything. Making up shots, getting the rolls and leaving me behind. He torched me. I was so demoralized that I went two and out in the tournament and lost 3-0 both times. Disaster. The highlight of the trip for me was the pool room. It was a typical southern room and if I lived around there, it would be home. The other highlight was the move Jason did for dinner. He invited a couple of us for dinner to BB Kings but no BB Kings. They were closed so we went to the Blues Diner which I whole heartedly recommend. Big plates of fatty steaks, ribs, catfish with the trimmings. The salad was enough for me and I ordered a 24 ounce Rib Eye. the chocolate brownie with ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream was calling me so I answered. Back to the room about midnight and then packing, next a food coma. My pick up was at four AM so a couple of hours sleep and then home. It took me two days to recover but its a known something coming and expected. Overall, a lot of fun and a reminder of why moving west was a great life choice.
Fats reminded me of when I could play. Jump on the front table and play all comers. The farthest back table is my ranking now.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Memphis

Always great to see you and battle Bill. We both had our moments. Sorry I wasn’t around for that dinner.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Great job on the stream!
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to commentate a match.
I wish we could have played some since I am not familiar with your game, but there will be other times.

Fats

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Great job on the stream!
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to commentate a match.
I wish we could have played some since I am not familiar with your game, but there will be other times.

Fats

The stream isn’t about me, it’s for members to talk about the game from a different perspective. A shot you may be looking at on the table looks a little more risky when talking about the options.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I went early to the Memphis melee. It takes me a couple of days to acclimate the time changes, flights, etc. First day was looking over the place and unpacking. Tuesday and Wednesday I played one of the locals and broke even for the two days and then Warren came in and we played a few hours. He and I break even each time we play but its good warm up for Mitch the Beast. Mitch is playing very good and I wish I could give him a decent game. He broke out right away three games ahead when in the fourth game down 7-zero I ran out from no where. That put him in a coma for four games and after that, like Mitch said, it was a blur. He shot at everything. Making up shots, getting the rolls and leaving me behind. He torched me. I was so demoralized that I went two and out in the tournament and lost 3-0 both times. Disaster. The highlight of the trip for me was the pool room. It was a typical southern room and if I lived around there, it would be home. The other highlight was the move Jason did for dinner. He invited a couple of us for dinner to BB Kings but no BB Kings. They were closed so we went to the Blues Diner which I whole heartedly recommend. Big plates of fatty steaks, ribs, catfish with the trimmings. The salad was enough for me and I ordered a 24 ounce Rib Eye. the chocolate brownie with ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream was calling me so I answered. Back to the room about midnight and then packing, next a food coma. My pick up was at four AM so a couple of hours sleep and then home. It took me two days to recover but its a known something coming and expected. Overall, a lot of fun and a reminder of why moving west was a great life choice.
Fats reminded me of when I could play. Jump on the front table and play all comers. The farthest back table is my ranking now.

Bill. thank you for the live streaming at the Memphis Melee. I am also in agreement with your views. It took me a day to get straight after driving over 9 hours from Chicago to Memphis. I also sensed the charm of Bill Rowley's southern pool room. If I lived in the Memphis/Southaven area, this undoubtedly would be my hangout. Finally, when Dan "ChicagoFats" Moran and myself ventured out to get a midnight snack on Beale Street, we also went to the Blues Diner. We had the barbecue ribs, fried catfish, and steak fries which were outstanding. After missing the 1st Melee, I can now understand why there was a 2nd Melee Tournament so quickly at Rowley's "Southaven Recreation Center." it's a winner.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Nice!

Thanks, Bill.

Lou Figueroa