Bogie's Senior One Pocket Event

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
What a great event! Meeting and competing with this crew was such a joy for me. I think of all you who played in this event as part of a fraternity, and being a member of that fraternity is an honor for me. We all played hard but fairly and with respect for one another. That was not unexpected. We played very well, most of the time, and we screwed up a bit too, but we all kept it in perspective. This tournament reminded some of us matches we played with one another from past events. For some, that was a good thing and for others, not quite as good.

Our tournament director, Bill, whose last name escapes me, did an outstanding job. John Rizzo was the consummate host. He made everyone feel welcome, comfortable, and special. Great guy and as someone said earlier, he somehow tried to make it out that we were doing him the honor of participating in this senior’s event. Believe me John, your holding this event was a blessing to all of us who came to play.

Big Truck, who did the streaming, and Jeremy Jones, with his excellent commentary added an extra touch to the quality of this event and their being there showed how special David Richardson and John Rizzo viewed the production of this event. You guys are the best. Thank you.

I want to offer a personal thanks to Jeff Sparks for all he did to help me out. I was held over an extra day due to the weather and flight cancellations and he came to the rescue. Frank Espinosa was a great help too. The kind of selflessness that these two showed me and a few others is what it’s all about. Two great guys who happened to be in a position to help and didn’t hesitate to do so. Thank you. I know others were held over too and I hope the inconvenience wasn’t too harsh and you all made it home safely. I suspect you did, I sure hope so.

The owner of Bogie’s, David Richardson really has shown in so many ways that he loves pool and pool players. The room was clean, and I’ve no doubt it always is, and the equipment was consistent and well maintained with plenty of room between each table and comfortable seating areas for spectators. This room is well suited for high class pool tournaments as well as private games between seasoned competitors. I’m sure to be back for next year’s event. I won’t be old enough for the super senior event which is to be held later this year but that won’t stop me from coming down as a spectator or from seeking out a little friendly game of chance.

This little group of twenty-four know that this game requires every cueing skill. With a combined total of well over a thousand years we have demonstrated a dedication to learning those skills. Some who couldn’t make it this year hopefully will next year. You guys were missed but every indication says, and John did too, that Bogie’s wants this to be an annual event. Maybe they can increase the size of the field next time. If at all possible, don’t miss it, you will have a blast.

Thanks, and again, Kudos to David, John Rizzo, the entire staff of Bogie’s, Jeff Sparks, Frank Espinosa, and the entire field of players who came out to play. You guys are the best!

Tom Wirth

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
When Frank Espinoza got stuck another day, he paid his room. He then got lucky and he got the last ticket sold for a flight out. The counter guy, short and bald and a great :) guy, took care of em and recanted on the room charge. The table spacing of the front 5, is skirted and spaced perfectly, even giving players the natural intrusion of play from the tables next to you. Seeing this type of behavior, adds that extra touch to give players the ''real feel'' when many of us learned in the trenches. Just got my cue/luggage back 12hours ago, all good. I was amazed once I had taken the Poster out of the my cue case tube, how much I enjoyed seeing all your smiley faces this morning.

Guys, have a great day....I'm with ya Tom.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Tom, what a pleasure it was to meet you and if you remember early friday we shared coffee at the motel. We had a nice conversation about the tournament and I bought two of your new books on one pocket. I actually read some prior to my match with Dr. Bill and a few of your insights did actually come up. I also want to give a two thumbs up to Jeff Sparks for his behind the scenes work in making the event happen. What a cast of characters we all are, with our history and love of the game. One Pocket.org and Steve Booth need recognition as well as he has provided us an opportunity to meet online and share stories and wwyd's with each other these past years.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Jer, what was the name of that room you mainly went to on the W. Coast from the 1976-81? Pretty sure you mentioned it when we talked. Your backer story was another classic. I'm sure it's, still going on, somewhere some how, for someone, like the great music of Bob Sieger.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
One Pocket.org and Steve Booth need recognition as well as he has provided us an opportunity to meet online and share stories and wwyd's with each other these past years.

Thanks, Jerry. That's a point I should have mentioned too. Without 1P.org this event could never have happened. Steve is as important a part of this as Sparks, Richardson, Rizzo, Henderson and (uh, what's Red Card's name?) Red Card.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Lower it to 45! (Does it count if my liver in 70?)

It's not your body, it's your...... um..... what do you call it..... it's gray.... looks kinda like a boxing glove.... up between your ears.....

Dammit! I know the name of it... everybody has one... (except maybe LeBlanc.)

You know.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Tom, sorry I wasn't able to take you to airport, but I was stuck in a parking lot surrounded by high water and unable to go anywhere for hours till the water receded. I finally got home midday Monday and went to sleep for about 12 hrs since I had been up for about 24 to 30 hrs already. Excepting a catnap on the floor at bogies for about an hour.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom, sorry I wasn't able to take you to airport, but I was stuck in a parking lot surrounded by high water and unable to go anywhere for hours till the water receded. I finally got home midday Monday and went to sleep for about 12 hrs since I had been up for about 24 to 30 hrs already. Excepting a catnap on the floor at bogies for about an hour.

Yeah Dave, I do want to thank you for the offer. As it turned out, I couldn't get a flight until Tuesday anyway. I heard of your ordeal and I'm glad you finally made it home in one piece and not too waterlogged.

Here's hoping to see ya at the next event.

Tom

baby huey

Verified Member
Jer, what was the name of that room you mainly went to on the W. Coast from the 1976-81? Pretty sure you mentioned it when we talked. Your backer story was another classic. I'm sure it's, still going on, somewhere some how, for someone, like the great music of Bob Sieger.

BILL, I actually wasn't playing during those years. But I hung out at House of Billiards, Los Angeles much later. Then Hard Times.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom, what a pleasure it was to meet you and if you remember early friday we shared coffee at the motel. We had a nice conversation about the tournament and I bought two of your new books on one pocket. I actually read some prior to my match with Dr. Bill and a few of your insights did actually come up. I also want to give a two thumbs up to Jeff Sparks for his behind the scenes work in making the event happen. What a cast of characters we all are, with our history and love of the game. One Pocket.org and Steve Booth need recognition as well as he has provided us an opportunity to meet online and share stories and wwyd's with each other these past years.

Jerry, of course I remember our Friday morning conversation at the motel. It is so nice of you to say that my book helped you during your match with our good Dr. Bill. There is no question about it, Steve Booth and this site helps us all become better informed players. Though our execution skills may have been somewhat diminished, our ability to learn more has not. I like to think of my game as an evolution in progress.

My congratulations on a great tournament Jerry. You overcame a lot and in the end you just got worn down by one of the greats of the game.

Tom

GoldCrown

Verified Member
You guys have incredible skills, display great sportsmanship and respect each other. That's the beauty of the people here on 1P.org