efren scott again 357

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What makes this lay so difficult is the CB being close to the head rail. God knows what Efren pulls out of his hat here, but I would likely roll through the 15 (the stripe on Scott's side rail), allowing the CB to continue down the side rail near the pocket. The only danger is possibly leaving a bank on the 7; although the 15 should get in the way..:)

~Doc

p.s. Larry, thanks for occupying our fertile minds...

Kybanks

Verified Member
I like coming off the stripe above the 5 ball and going in behind the stripe by the 6 ball. May have figured out why my mouse has been out of stroke! Lol

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would strongly consider rolling the 2ball softly favoring to over cut it. Any other option would need to be hit perfectly, the 2ball will buy the shooter some time. imo.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would strongly consider rolling the 2ball softly favoring to over cut it. Any other option would need to be hit perfectly, the 2ball will buy the shooter some time. imo.

Dr. Bill

There's another option other than shooting the 2ball, that I would consider. This is a situation where any safety is difficult to execute that's why I considered the 2ball because with the 2ball if hit softly and slightly cut to the right you will leave your opponent in a safe position and will have bought a little time to escape on your next inning. If for any reason you don't like the 2ball option look to take an intentional, there is an intentional that looks to be available, i'll explain. There looks to be room to shoot the cue ball off the side rail between the 15ball and 9ball drop softly to the bottom rail and then back up into the 10ball softly. If you're able to position the cue ball on or very close to the 10ball then your opponent will be hard pressed to put you back in trouble and the next time back at the table you figure to have a much better situation to deal with.

In situations like this one where your gut tells you that you may lose the game with your option and any other option carries the same consequent it's never wrong to look to take an intentional.

Yes we have the luxury of playing from our computer and certain shots we choose may be correct in a perfect world but even the best players aren't perfect, then it's wise to use our intelligence and experience to guide us when we have that feeling deep in the gut.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What makes this lay so difficult is the CB being close to the head rail. God knows what Efren pulls out of his hat here, but I would likely roll through the 15 (the stripe on Scott's side rail), allowing the CB to continue down the side rail near the pocket. The only danger is possibly leaving a bank on the 7; although the 15 should get in the way..:)

~Doc

p.s. Larry, thanks for occupying our fertile minds...

This option would be the best option providing the execution of the shot was executed well, however, this is what the above post is directed at. Executing shots of this magnitude are difficult, especially when the game is at stake and the reward is little but if you can look and envision the results of the option when hit well then think intentional, yes think intentional to the same spot or even a better spot if there is one available. In this instance playing off the 15ball will position the cue ball near the side rail in a relatively safe position, however, there are a few places where the cue ball can end up that aren't that good either leaving a good offense return shot on the 8ball or even a bank on the 9ball which is the ball you just passed under to get to where you are. If you get over all those hurdles then your opponent may have some viable options to put you back in trouble, that's why I suggest the intentional freezing on the 10ball. Extend your thinking using the shot that you feel is best suited to get you out of trouble then extend your thinking and envision whats available taking an intentional to basically the same spot or perhaps (like here with the 10ball) to an even better spot.

Dr. Bill

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I would shoot rail first before the side pocket at the 2 ball. It's kinda a free shot even if u miss it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
There's another option other than shooting the 2ball, that I would consider. This is a situation where any safety is difficult to execute that's why I considered the 2ball because with the 2ball if hit softly and slightly cut to the right you will leave your opponent in a safe position and will have bought a little time to escape on your next inning. If for any reason you don't like the 2ball option look to take an intentional, there is an intentional that looks to be available, i'll explain. There looks to be room to shoot the cue ball off the side rail between the 15ball and 9ball drop softly to the bottom rail and then back up into the 10ball softly. If you're able to position the cue ball on or very close to the 10ball then your opponent will be hard pressed to put you back in trouble and the next time back at the table you figure to have a much better situation to deal with. ...
Well I'm glad that you came to your senses, and decided against the 2 ball shot, the proposal of which I can only assume had to be a "senior moment".:D

The intentional is a good choice, not the least of which is because it's easy to execute; whereas my roll-the-CB through the 15 takes a more accurate hit, and from off the rail.

I don't believe the angle permits the CB to roll two rails up behind the 10, but even if the CB goes to the 6, it's still not the worst shot in the world. Unless it freezes to the 6 however, it's not hard to put the guy right back into jeopardy, now minus a ball..:(

But it is a great point about putting a guy into a position where he has to knock away his own soldiers just to get safe.

~Doc

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

Attachments

• 1p.jpg
    1p.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
PJ, what are you going to do if you make the deuce? I think you'll be frozen to the stack...:) I thought Androd was kidding..;)

~Doc
With the right speed seems like a good chance to get a look at the 9. If not I guess kicking safe.

I'd be more worried about overcutting the 2 and giving up shots.

pj
chgo

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
PJ, what are you going to do if you make the deuce? I think you'll be frozen to the stack...:) I thought Androd was kidding..;)

~Doc

The key to shooting the 2ball is to not make it and have your opponent waste an inning moving it. If you're able to position the 2ball where he must move it it figures to be difficult for him to move the 2ball and put you in a trap. Rail first on the 2ball is a good option and if you happen to make it then you will have to deal with it from there.:( Playing the 2ball straight on and slightly over cutting it will assure you of not scoring the 2ball and you will not give up a shot in the process. That's what it looks like to me.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Hello

There's another option other than shooting the 2ball, that I would consider. This is a situation where any safety is difficult to execute that's why I considered the 2ball because with the 2ball if hit softly and slightly cut to the right you will leave your opponent in a safe position and will have bought a little time to escape on your next inning. If for any reason you don't like the 2ball option look to take an intentional, there is an intentional that looks to be available, i'll explain. There looks to be room to shoot the cue ball off the side rail between the 15ball and 9ball drop softly to the bottom rail and then back up into the 10ball softly. If you're able to position the cue ball on or very close to the 10ball then your opponent will be hard pressed to put you back in trouble and the next time back at the table you figure to have a much better situation to deal with.

In situations like this one where your gut tells you that you may lose the game with your option and any other option carries the same consequent it's never wrong to look to take an intentional.

Yes we have the luxury of playing from our computer and certain shots we choose may be correct in a perfect world but even the best players aren't perfect, then it's wise to use our intelligence and experience to guide us when we have that feeling deep in the gut.

Like I mentioned even the best players aren't perfect and whenever confronted with threatening positions similar to this one where your legal options are too risky don't force or press the issue without first looking for the intentional it just might save you the game or match.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I like Efren's choice here. It was fairly easy to execute and attempting other options were certainly far more risky. It looked to me like he might have had the angle to slide off the 4 ball (loose ball at the top of the stack) and lay on the rail side of the ball below the second diamond and a few inches off the side rail. Not easy to pull off.

I would like to continue the thread if I might by suggesting what Scott may look to do as a reply. Here is an image of my thought. If this couldn't be accomplished this way maybe it could via an intentional foul. Good touch is needed but that is what these players do on a regular basis.

Tom

Attachments

• efren scott wwyd 1-3 (1).jpg
    efren scott wwyd 1-3 (1).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
By coming off the six two things are accomplished. First, he obviously has saved himself from having taken a foul, and second, he has made it more difficult for Efren to avoid giving up a bank on the seven should he elect to kick off his side rail for his next safety.

Tom