Joe Macnamara passed away

rhinobywilhite

Verified Member
From
Junction, Texas
It is with a heavy heart that I notify Forum members that Joe Macnamara, aka Joe Mac died yesterday of a heart attack. He was 67, I believe.

Joe Mac was a well known player in Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma.

I don't know anything about services yet but will post when I find out.

I know many of you guys knew Joe Mac and just wanted to get the word out.

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
I was very sad to hear of Joe's passing. Last time we talked, about a month ago he was doing well. I am a long time friend of his. He was a good guy and great story teller. We made several short trips together around Texas and Louisiana. One pocket was his main game. He is from Wichita Falls, Texas, and spent a long time here in the Beaumont area where he ran the pool hall for a few years (King's Cue Stick). He was friends with Puckett, Danny Jones, Jersey Red, and Flyboy, to name a few. He once held a pool tournament in the cock fighting pit at the Circle Club in Vinton, Louisiana, Buddy Hall won it. R.I.P. Joemac.

Last edited:

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
So sorry to hear my good friend JoeMac had a heart attack yesterday. Joe and I made some short road trips together. Knew him for nearly 50 years. He was an honest and loyal man. A great father to his 2 kids.

An accomplished pool player. He played all games very good. Straight pool he played better than most knew. One of Joe's hustles was - rack all 15 balls, you pick a ball out of rack for Joe to sink in bottom corner pocket. Joe would 3 rail cue ball with his hand and (with 20 or 25 tries) Joe would make ball you picked out. Never saw him lose at that.

Wichita Falls is losing just about all of their old pool players. Joe MacNamara, Mark(Sparky)Webb, W.T. Wetzel, and Jr. Norris have all left us in the last two years. JoeMac, Sparky, and W.T. were all about the same age and all grew up playing each other, no doubt, countless hours at Burt's pool room downtown WF.

Dick Lane, also, grew up there, but like me, he had 1 or 2 years on these three. Jr. Norris passed away last year after a long, happy life

Joe will be missed. RIP JoeMac.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
In the mid nineties, I met W.T. Wetzel who was Asst. Mgr. at Big Daddy's in Alvin, TX. W.T lived there and taught me one pocket i helped him clean the pool tables, mop the floor, and took him to lunch in order for him to waste his time giving me 12/4 12/5 for five dollars a game before opening up at 2:00 pm.

He and Joe Mac were good friends and whenever Joe would roll through town, he stayed with W.T. And took over the responsibility of taking all my money with rediculous proposition versions of one pocket as well as golf on the 5x10. Joe Mac also got me to stakehorse him at a number of matches and events so that I could have the privelege of donating my winnings back to him.

I lost track of both W.T. and Joe for about 10 yrs when I was on hyatus at my day job. When I returned to pool in 2012, W.T. died in September of that year and I got back to playing Joe again. Although I had improved tremendously , Joe refused to stop spotting me. I had 10-6 for life with Joe. When he rolled through town here in Houston, I put him up at my place and we played one pocket, 3-cusion, and tournaments. I last saw him when he transitioned from Vidor to San Antonio/Austin area for the last time.

R.I.P. Joe Mac

rhinobywilhite

Verified Member
From
Junction, Texas
Visitation for Joe Mac

Visitation for Joe Mac

Joe Macnamara will be cremated. The family has notified me that there will be a brief visitation at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow(Sunday) :

Fuller-Sheffield Funeral Home
2808 E. Martin Luther King Blvd.
Austin, Texas

There may be a celebration of life in the future but nothing has been determined at this time.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Sad news Indeed, Joemac and I had a few classic battles, always a gentleman to gamble with, I'll miss seeing him at the seniors tourney in Houston in October. We always had Good stories and many laughs. Thanx for letting me know.
Joe was the player that introduced me to our site.

P.S. He once came into the pool room, he was dressed in army fatigues, had a long full beard, looked like a homeless person you see at the street corners,
He was carrying a cardboard sign that said " Will play pool for food or money "

Last edited: