Play out of this break

Skin

Verified Member
Some of the most interesting problems in 1p come when you have to try to play out of a good break by the opponent. This is a problem from WOP. The shooter has pocket A. What do you do? I put 3 of the possible solutions on pages 2-4 in the WEI booklet.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv4bMeS4bLQh1bGbc1bCwK4kbHF4kNTC3kaco3kVMN3kVEf@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv3gaHw3gJBa4kbHF3kWmr3kagW1kOKg1kbqN3kaTC3kVdX@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv3UTIE3URDv3UQFq4kbHF2kahm1kAOg1kbQF3kbAy3kVtD3kVEh@[/CUETABLE]

Skin

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:
Some of the most interesting problems in 1p come when you have to try to play out of a good break by the opponent. This is a problem from WOP. The shooter has pocket A. What do you do? I put 3 of the possible solutions on pages 2-4 in the WEI booklet.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv4bMeS4bLQh1bGbc1bCwK4kbHF4kNTC3kaco3kVMN3kVEf@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv3gaHw3gJBa4kbHF3kWmr3kagW1kOKg1kbqN3kaTC3kVdX@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv3UTIE3URDv3UQFq4kbHF2kahm1kAOg1kbQF3kbAy3kVtD3kVEh@[/CUETABLE] I would take the 5 rail intentinal scratch. But if you want to shot a circus shot shoot the 10 ball on the left side of the thirteenball and the nine ball will hit the one ball and go in the pocket and the nine ball will hit the side rail and go twords your pocket and the ten ball will also go to your pocket. And you go three rails with the cue ball around the table. Behind the 15 ball and the nine ball might even go in your pocket.

Skin
I posted above the OUOTE I hope it doesnt get erased.

Skin

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I posted above the OUOTE I hope it doesnt get erased.

Artie, there is nothing here for me except the intentional scratch. I hate to start a game out that way, but I don;t see myself pulling anything else off. Something like diagrammed below.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv4kbHF1kAne3karv3kVUl@[/CUETABLE]

beatle

Verified Member
i like to break up the dead shots as they come back to haunt me every time.

so i set it up and and hit the left side of the nine and was able to come in back of the one fifteen while breaking open some of those tight balls in the rack area sending them a little way toward my hole.
that was the best shot for me and i didnt have to worry about selling out by leaving a bank on the seven if i didnt get behind cover.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
beatle said:
i like to break up the dead shots as they come back to haunt me every time.

so i set it up and and hit the left side of the nine and was able to come in back of the one fifteen while breaking open some of those tight balls in the rack area sending them a little way toward my hole.
that was the best shot for me and i didnt have to worry about selling out by leaving a bank on the seven if i didnt get behind cover.
Its under neath the second post. I thought it got erased but it didnt.

Skin

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Its under neath the second post. I thought it got erased but it didnt.

I saw it. This it it.

"I would take the 5 rail intentinal scratch. But if you want to shot a circus shot shoot the 10 ball on the left side of the thirteenball and the nine ball will hit the one ball and go in the pocket and the nine ball will hit the side rail and go twords your pocket and the ten ball will also go to your pocket. And you go three rails with the cue ball around the table. Behind the 15 ball and the nine ball might even go in your pocket." -- Artie

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAUU3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHeS3NGYL3OSCT4PbHF4QdOv@[/CUETABLE]

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Artie, I see your shot. But looking at the layout, it seems to me the 10 ball has enough room to go and the cb go 3 rails to end up behind the 1 & 15. If not I might just go ahead with the up table kick at the 1 and hope for the best.---Smitty

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think everyones objective is to get behind the 15-1 and break up the dead kiss as a bonus. personally i like coming off the 11 (page 3 of your layout) and it looks like you could do the same idea off the 10 and come 3-5 rails and end up in the same location . both those shots move balls to your side AND leave a safe. if i were to play an intensional safe i would 3-5 rail it skin instead of 1-3 rail it as you diagrammed because the angle coming into the long rail i think makes it more likely to in under the 15-1

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
an added bonus of coming off the 11 or 10 is it will break up the dead 13-9 combo to his pocket. alot of good things happen with that shot.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
keeping the intentional scratch as a default shot in "what do i do now?" is often overlooked but can be a strong move.imho

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One pocket Smitty said:
Artie, I see your shot. But looking at the layout, it seems to me the 10 ball has enough room to go and the cb go 3 rails to end up behind the 1 & 15. If not I might just go ahead with the up table kick at the 1 and hope for the best.---Smitty
The angle is a perfect angle. The tenball into the thirteen ball and the cue ball around the table lays perfect. But for my money I would just take a 5 rail intentinal scratch and leave the cue ball behind the 15 and one ball. And I am out of the trap. The other shot is just something to experiment with.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Another Option

Another Option

Although I like coming off the 7 ball, the last time I recomended it all the good players said" too tough to shoot, have to stun the CB". I liked Beattles' shot but didn't think I could hit the 9 ball. The 5 rail kick is a hanger if you want to take a foul. So here's another option I shoot in some spots like this.
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ATIE4BDvo3CGbA3DAdS3EDWT4FDfV4GMeS4HCws3IJBk3JBAl4KBrJ3LaHw3MHmS3NGYL3OSCT4PbPF4QdOv3XAUT4XBSc3YDWT3YBbX3YBSh3gaHw3gben3gaHe3hHmS3hXtB3hXtB3iGYL3iEtS3iFKk4kbPF3kGPV3kHfB3kbql3kXpD3uBOP@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
rod to me this one takes much more touch than the shot off the 7. also you dont move another ball to his side.p.s. you did get a little fried last time you mentioned a shot like the one off the 7. i didnt think then or now that it was that delicate)

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
androd said:
Although I like coming off the 7 ball,

Rod....I like this shot....I have been practicing caroming off more than one ball.....

However.....In shooting Beattles shot, I took a straight edge and it looks like the cue ball will hit the 9 ball just enough to have the angle to drop nicely behind the 1/15 and nudge it slightly.

If the nine has enough force after contacting the rail it could contact the 10 or 13 ball sending one or the other closer to your side.

The 5 rail kick is a good shot but it doesn't accomplish much IMO....What's the word Grady always uses?..... "It's just too ???????.....

And....in a scratch for scratch scenario you could get the worst of it.....I think!

Straight-edge...george

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the 10 or 11 back into the stack with the q coming around to hide behind the 15-1 is still the shot for me.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
the 10 or 11 back into the stack with the q coming around to hide behind the 15-1 is still the shot for me.

Larry lll, I think it would be very hard to get the CB around off the 10 ball without cutting it thin and possibly into the 13 ball. The full hit is going to take the CB very long.
Rod. <--- not sure what you mean about the 11 ball.
PS, As for the caroms, don't think they're too tough. If you don't hit the OB solidly the CB keeps moving along.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Larry lll, I think it would be very hard to get the CB around off the 10 ball without cutting it thin and possibly into the 13 ball. The full hit is going to take the CB very long.
Rod. <--- not sure what you mean about the 11 ball.
PS, As for the caroms, don't think they're too tough. If you don't hit the OB solidly the CB keeps moving along.
The full hit on the ten ball will not take the cueball long. You shot the shot with follow and the cue ball will even shorten up. Because its like a force follow shot.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
rod look at page 3 of skins wei table .shows the shot off the 11. both shots the idea is bank a ball into the stack and go 3-5 rails to safe heaven, it comes up alot or some variation after the break. im always looking for what can i bank into the stack and leave safe. is that a bad strategy?