Slice or Combinate ?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
I think you have misenterpreted my reasoning, I do understand that any shot can be missed no matter how simple it may appear. My point is, once you have evaluated a situation and choose an option you must then forget about the consequense if missed. After you have commited youself to a challenge, you will always do better if you feel good about what you are taking on. In this case lets say we choose to shoot the combination, I do understand the advantage and disadvantages this shot may produce before I shoot it, but ONCE I MAKE A DECISION I then forget about the consequense if I miss, and totally focus on the shot, and invision it in a positive way.

Bill,

I do understand your position now. Once you are done thinking then go ahead and shoot. It is the most difficult thing in sports to do, stop thinking when you are performing. Thinking has no place in the actual performance of the task at hand, except beforehand.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
You have to think what will hapen if you miss. Or how else can you think ahead. You have to look at all posibilities. And if you only think positive then you cannot think ove the other side if you miss. Because if you think positive you are also thinking ahead positive for your next shot. But that is not looking at all posibilities. And we do have to look t what happines if we miss. We cannot eliminate that out ove the game. Because every shot would only be a positive shot. And the big qoistion is what if we make a mistake? And what if we make a mistake thinking positive what happines then?
Artie, you're missing my point. After, and I am emphasising the word "after" the decision is made what shot to shoot, you will always do better thinking positive.

All the possibilities should be factored in before you make a decision which shot to shoot, AFTER you weigh up all the possibilities and finally decide on a particular shot, THEN you must view it in a positive way.

I don't understand why people are having a problem interpreting my reasoning. I'm not saying that you have to view the wrong shot and try to make it the right shot because you think you can do anything, that's not what i'm saying and I believe that is what you think.:confused:

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin,

I think that if you look at this layout the Ghost (oh I hate to say it) is closer to the correct results. If you hit the 1 ball the way you showed, it would not even hit the 3 ball. Jeez I hate it when the Ghost is right.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGOO4COQU2EFti3IbEF1JbRJ4LUyU2PFfY4Qcxu2REwM4UGOO4UMlH4UOaxzc4WOQU4WdgA2kFfY4kFox4kOfqzc4lcxu2leqm2mEwM4mLyK@[/CUETABLE]

I guess I understand that diagram, Dennis. Not sure. The point is that if the cb and 1 are angling off in opposite directions (on are REAL table :) ), you're going to potentially wind up with no follow-up shot. I won't shoot the combo as it lays on the WEI. But I am not quibbling...well, not much anyway. :cool:

Skin

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

I do understand your position now. Once you are done thinking then go ahead and shoot. It is the most difficult thing in sports to do, stop thinking when you are performing. Thinking has no place in the actual performance of the task at hand, except beforehand.

Dennis
Thank you.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The 5 ball was just an arbitrary ball in this situation and not a viable shot choice so consequently I didn't bother to take the time to position it as it actually was in my game....I have reajusted it's location to where it actually was, in this new/correct layout, so anybody who picked the bank shot option, make another choice now >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGWX4COQU2ENUj3IbEF1JbRJ4LUyU2PFOY4Qcxu@[/CUETABLE]

- Ghost

PS, And skin, as I first said, and as Dennis and Billy have visualized it, the combo was just a hair off of dead on....and if shot, the 1 ball would have followed a tangent line about the way that Dennis 'weied' it.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Skin said:
Exactly what I was thinking, Rod. That will set me up for the 3 next and with the cb in the opening of the hole, I can get low on it to play position for the 1 after the 3.

The way the combo sits in the WEI, it looks like the cb and 1 must go in opposite directions in order to sink the 3. I could wind up, as a result, with a worse cut angle on the 1 than what's already there on the 12. Or even worse, leave him a makeable cut on the 1 if the 3 doesn't drop rather than a bank if I miss the cut.

Cutting the 12 is the shot, imho.

Skin
Skin, if you read his problem accurately, you will see that the combo is fairly straight, and you can play position on the next ball comfortably.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
wincardona said:
All the possibilities should be factored in before you make a decision which shot to shoot, AFTER you weigh up all the possibilities and finally decide on a particular shot, THEN you must view it in a positive way.

I don't understand why people are having a problem interpreting my reasoning. I'm not saying that you have to view the wrong shot and try to make it the right shot because you think you can do anything, that's not what i'm saying and I believe that is what you think.:confused:

I would shoot the cut shot too, while the banking the 5 will move another ball down near my pocket, I feel more comfortable cutting the ball.

I understand fully what your saying, Billy. After you have decided what ball your going to shoot, you've thought about where you want to leave the cueball, you've weighed the pros and cons of what shot and the consequences of it, after everything has been decided, THEN put your total focus on executing what you have decided. It doesn't do any good to continue thinking about if you miss and what happens if this happens and all that. Forget about everything else except making the ball and getting the shape you want. That should be the picture in your mind, of you doing that. This is something that every person should do in any sport, it's just alot harder to do then it sounds.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
I think you have misenterpreted my reasoning, I do understand that any shot can be missed no matter how simple it may appear. My point is, once you have evaluated a situation and choose an option you must then forget about the consequense if missed. After you have commited youself to a challenge, you will always do better if you feel good about what you are taking on. In this case lets say we choose to shoot the combination, I do understand the advantage and disadvantages this shot may produce before I shoot it, but ONCE I MAKE A DECISION I then forget about the consequense if I miss, and totally focus on the shot, and invision it in a positive way.

Billy.......This is the same thought process that I use and that I believe strongly in also....and I always teach/stress this focused manner of thinking when I give a One Pocket lesson.

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
As weak as I am executing, I would probably bank the 5. Not the worst shot in the world.

the Beard

Freddie, you are an extremely intellegent person, why can't you understand that the question is what shot would you shoot between the 12 ball or the combination. I know banks is your best game, but give us a break.:rolleyes:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
CaliRed said:
I would shoot the cut shot too, while the banking the 5 will move another ball down near my pocket, I feel more comfortable cutting the ball.

I understand fully what your saying, Billy. After you have decided what ball your going to shoot, you've thought about where you want to leave the cueball, you've weighed the pros and cons of what shot and the consequences of it, after everything has been decided, THEN put your total focus on executing what you have decided. It doesn't do any good to continue thinking about if you miss and what happens if this happens and all that. Forget about everything else except making the ball and getting the shape you want. That should be the picture in your mind, of you doing that. This is something that every person should do in any sport, it's just alot harder to do then it sounds.

You are 100% correct, that it is very hard to do, but if you are aware of the right thing to do, and the way you should handle it in regard to evaluating, choosing, and then concentrating on your decision, and then try to put that into practice, you will develope a better understanding of it, and it will be easier for you to do the next time and so on. We can make ouselves comfortable with just about anything, if we believe in it and PRACTICE it, time and time again.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Billy.......This is the same thought process that I use and that I believe strongly in also....and I always teach/stress this focused manner of thinking when I give a One Pocket lesson.

- Ghost
What took you so long to rescue me, I would of been there for you in a much shorter amount of time. Anyways I appreciate your endorsement and feel much better.:cool:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
make another choice now >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGfO4COQU2EMfj3IbEF1JbRJ4LUyU2PFOY4Qcxu@[/CUETABLE]
- Ghost

O.K. I pick this one.:D

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGfO4COQU2EMfj3IbEF1JbRJ4LUyU2PFOY4Qcxu2YMfj4Ycpt2kFOY2kNdV2kQfm2kaDq1kbXp1kTNX2uDCN@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
What took you so long to rescue me, I would of been there for you in a much shorter amount of time. Anyways I appreciate your endorsement and feel much better.:cool:

Sorry for the delay Billy - been out all day and just got home, that's what took me so long....Don't forget, I'm not quite as old as the rest of you old farts yet, so I still get out of the old computer chair and go out and do things....:rolleyes:....:D....:cool:

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Hey Ghosty,

How much do you charge for lessons? I think I may need some.

Dennis

Dennis.......Here's how I'll answer that, and then you can try and guess the prices....:D....

My hourly rate for One Pocket lessons is approx. 1/15th of the hourly rate that my 'nurse' Keiko charges for her services....:eek:....:D....;)

- Ghost <--------Giving One Pocket lessons to help the U.S.A.'s Economic Stimulus.....:cool:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Sorry for the delay Billy - been out all day and just got home, that's what took me so long....Don't forget, I'm not quite as old as the rest of you old farts yet, so I still get out of the old computer chair and go out and do things....:rolleyes:....:D....:cool:

- Ghost
You can feel poitive before every shot. But you have to learn to hadle the pressure. Thinking positive will not work. And you will feel the pressure you cannot make it go away. Because you and youre mind knowes its a crushel shot that will win you the game or loose the game. If you learn to excepte the fear and the pressure then and only then can you handle the fear and the pressure.You have to learn to handle pressure and stress and thinking positive will not get it done. I have tought myself what to do and how to handle the pressure when it comes. You can not make it go away NOBODY. You have to face it and chalange it and if you can get youself to enjoy it and learn to handle it you will be OK. If not you will always be sressed afraid and fear. Just watch the great players in a stress and fear situation and you will see who is afraid and who handels it better then the other player. And some players go through all kinds ove changes. Because the dont no how to handle fear pressure and stress. And other people rise to the ocation. And Efren and Buddy Hall are two ove the good ones that handle it good. And I wont mention any names about players that fall apart under pressure.You either learn to handle it or fear it for the rest ove your life. Its something you have to learn. And some players love to play when the pressure is on them and it makes them strong and powerfull when they executie and perform under fear presure and stress. Telling youself that you will exicute and make the shot is positive. But will being positive be strong enough to get you through the pressure situation.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
My hourly rate for One Pocket lessons is approx. 1/15th of the hourly rate that my 'nurse' Keiko charges for her services....:eek:....:D....;)
:

With the cost of "medical" care being so high, I figure that she charges between $200 & $300 per hour for her services. So let's see, that means that you charge $13.33 to $20 per hour. It's a good thing you don't give lessons for a living Ghosty.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
This is a very good discussion to have when addressing a shot at your pocket, like the the combination we have today. You think positive and proceed to hit it the best you can. But should that same attitude prevail when you are in deep trouble and the best shot you can find stinks? Can we hit such a shot with a positive attitude, too? :confused:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
With the cost of "medical" care being so high, I figure that she charges between $200 & $300 per hour for her services. So let's see, that means that you charge $13.33 to $20 per hour. It's a good thing you don't give lessons for a living Ghosty.

Dennis......You had better go back and look at Keiko's picture again, as you have insulted her, and you have very severely underestimated what she has to offer....Keiko's not a 40 yr. old, working at an airport area massage parlors....:rolleyes:....for $200 & $300 per hour, all you could get from her is a 'chat' with her over the phone.....:cool:

- Brother-Man, Ghost......:D