How to start a 1P tournament

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
In your pool hall, if they already have a weekly or monthly 1P tournament consider yourself lucky.

But if you don't here is a suggestion on how to get one started.

Talk to your pool room owner;

See if it is ok with them to run a Sat or Sun afternoon 1P tournament, if yes, offer to run it and make it a monthly event at first. Weekly might not be enough at first to be successful.

Plus it gives you time to work up the tournament (Flyers, signup and start times, format DE, # of games for matches)

Any comments and/or suggestions?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Consider handicapping -- If you're in an area with a smaller number of One Pocket players, you're going to have pretty big differences between players. Handicapping might help build a regular event. I'm in favor of keeping the handicapping simple.

Avoid long counts in the handicaps i.e. use 8-8, 8-7, 9-7, 9-6, 10-6 which should give you more than enough spread to entice even a weak player to get in against the big boys.

Don't penalize the One Pocket players! To start with, give out the handicaps based on the player's ordinary 9-Ball class designation. Why reward a strong 9-ball shooter who hasn't bothered to learn One Pocket by giving them a spot? You want to encourage them to learn 1P, not reward them for ignoring the game...

Keep the handicap classes simple, and don't expect the spots to make the games 'even' -- the purpose of this sort of handicap is to encourage more players to get involved, not to truly equalize.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Keep things moving so it doesn't go on all night. Two highly skilled defensive players can really drag out a match. This is their style but it affects the players in the ladder brackets to follow during tournament conditions. I kind of like the idea Grady uses where if a certain number of balls get down table past the side pockets they go to the footspot.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Pelican said:
Keep things moving so it doesn't go on all night. Two highly skilled defensive players can really drag out a match. This is their style but it affects the players in the ladder brackets to follow during tournament conditions. I kind of like the idea Grady uses where if a certain number of balls get down table past the side pockets they go to the footspot.

I ran a 1P tournament with 32 playes, DE race to 3 on winners side, race to 2 on the one loss side in January this year. It started at Noon and ended at 930 at nite. No match lasted longer than 2 hours.

A race to a predetermined number of balls might be better. And they can easily be handicapped.

Race to 15 balls made, when the first rack ends, the person with the fewest balls, gets to break.

The race can be 15-10, or 15-11. and so on.

Just a suggestion, anything to get the 1P tournament started.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have just put up a simple One Pocket Handicap Grid for up to five player classes.
http://onepocket.org/Handicapgrid.htm

If it would be helpful to add more classes, or break down the handicaps in to smaller increments, it's not too hard for me to create more of this sort of thing -- just tell me what you want...

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
NH Steve said:
I have just put up a simple One Pocket Handicap Grid for up to five player classes.
http://onepocket.org/Handicapgrid.htm

If it would be helpful to add more classes, or break down the handicaps in to smaller increments, it's not too hard for me to create more of this sort of thing -- just tell me what you want...

Steve, to correspond to APA 8 ball, would you go A+ to D = 7 to 3, or would you group it different. Thanks, Pel

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Pelican said:
Steve, to correspond to APA 8 ball, would you go A+ to D = 7 to 3, or would you group it different. Thanks, Pel

I'm not that familiar with the APA, but is it true that a pro level player would be considered above a 7? For the chart I posted, 'A+' would be a pro level. 'A' would be a top local shortstop, 'B' (like me :) ) can play well -- just not consistently, 'C' will let you shoot a couple times a rack or so, 'D' is a weak player, but some have worked hard to understand One Pocket and can bank, too. I'd guess for comparison, APA 7 might be an 'A' on down to 'D' being a 4?

Maybe someone who is familiar with APA can help me out...