2019 and so on tournament qualifications thread

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
So everything your saying is Steve alone should have the burden of choosing who he verifies to play which isn't that simple, which is not changing anything. He also has the burden of personally approving every member who joins the site regardless of the tournament which sometimes takes him weeks after you apply. We already know he does that to protect us from trolls... And then he has the burden of choosing every member who becomes verified regardless of the tournament.
Now he has inherited the very, very difficult job to decide on every local who wants to play in every tournament. We stuck him with this job. This on top of all the other stuff he does like being the only moderator and everything else on earth. He truly is a man among men..

But the 10 million dollar question is......... What do we write on the poster? Any suggestions there?

Easy now :D:D I have also been getting a HUGE help from cincy!!!

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I think i might have a solution. One of the main concerns is being active here, being around for a while but keeping it simple, not the quality of play. So...
How about this. tournament open to .org members of at least 6 months membership and 20 post count. Members of less than 1 yr must sign up at least 30 days in advance. Of course you would have to use your real name at signup.
Not having to be verified takes that process off everybody, leaves no gray areas and allows any members a few weeks to back out if they don't approve of a player entering. This also gives Steve time to deal with a unwanted player situation while also not having to verify new members plus its easier for any locals to sign up. Steve could waive the post count for players like Greg.

Simple rules are blunt and don't do well with special cases. But they're very easy to understand and administer, which I think is the lesser of two evils in this case. 6 months and 20 posts sounds reasonable.

The only snafu could be someone who comes on and basically posts spam 20 times, but that doesn't seem too likely.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
In order to grow there has to be awareness, that there is more to life than just banging balls around for 9 ball and 8 ball, attempt to create more publicity in areas that might not be aware of not only the website where great info is shared by some of the best one pocket players in the world but tap into the visual aid by creating some colorful digital flyers that could possibly be shared with industry supporters of the game.
Now I may be full of shite simply due to lack of awareness to what has been going on around me and my area, I have been trying to catch up with a lot of things in a very short period of time and doing it digitally. I know that vendors wont share email addresses, but might be willing to put something up on there websites to let other players now about this site and all the great things that go on here. One thing I learned along time ago is that it never hurts to ask.
I am amused when I go out to the 9 ball tournaments in this area and find all the younger people with head phones stuck in there ears, trying to rock out and play pool at the same time. Having listened to some of these young people you would think that they only game there is is 9 ball. These same people have some talent for the game, that sounds familiar.
I guess with all BS I have shared of my opinion is that bringing more awareness to these younger people, it might interest them in a game that takes more skill than just banging balls around

Hey Ron. A bunch of us bring new players into the game and new members to this site. With a ton of Cincy's help and recommendations, the website is also progressing to be more user friendly and more into the present.. As for play in you area, yes any kind of 9ft table game is nearly non existing anymore around there. I live a little over 1 hour north of you. One pocket is still played here and partially due to them trying to rob poor old John...lol its also being picked up by the younger players here. I played 17 yr old 2017 Junior National Champion Austin Summers Monday.. He loves playing now. Hes pretty good... We also have 25 yr old Sky Woodward here who is very,very good now.. I personally started him playing one pocket when he was 16. And of course Buddy Hall is here and will play anybody for 5 or 10 a game. If you would like to come up and play, give me a shout and we can get together or i can steer you to a fair game. Keep in mind as with most, i do like to make a small friendly wager per game in order to play. John

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The only snafu could be someone who comes on and basically posts spam 20 times, but that doesn't seem too likely.

If you wanted to get really cautious, you could reduce the likelihood of that by requiring the 20 posts to be completed at least 30 days before the tournament. The "20 spams" are most likely to occur late.

beatle

Verified Member
what about the influx of older top pro players that want no part of posting or adding value to the site but just want to do what it takes to get in the tournament and slaughter the lambs.

i personally would like to see them REGULARLY on the site posting as their view is valuable.

why arent more of the posters here not entering the big tournaments although some do, is that they have no chance. so why take top players and bring them over here.
dr. bill is here contributing all the time and makes this site what it is partly so.
if he can spend the time why cant these others?

tdietrich1972

Verified Member
From
I have been a member for about a year but rarely post due to using my phone but with the possibility of playing in tournaments I thought I would start paying more attention. I am just an average player but love the game and would love to be apart of the tournaments moving forward (when I can). Seems that the thread has some very good ideas and look forward to seeing more responses and how this plays out.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I have been a member for about a year but rarely post due to using my phone but with the possibility of playing in tournaments I thought I would start paying more attention. I am just an average player but love the game and would love to be apart of the tournaments moving forward (when I can). Seems that the thread has some very good ideas and look forward to seeing more responses and how this plays out.

hi guy
welcome
introduce yourself here
introduce yourself
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9427